• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Acid Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I have a few notes before I post this trap. It's a very simple concept, and many details I'm unsure about. Namely, I'm unsure about things such as the number of uses, the cooldown, whether it has friendly fire, how large is its AoE... That sort of thing. However, I do know one thing, and one thing alone:

Acid explodes. Acid hits people. People take damage and their armor is reduced by a certain percentage, making this trap important when fighting heavily-armored opponents (such as the Juggernaut, a recent Hero posted by the Devs).

Lastly, I want to thank Evi for giving the possession idea and by sparking the concept of the idea itself.

Traps
Name: Acid Bomb

Stats:

Uses: One.
Blood cost: None.
Target: AoE - The Acid Bomb explodes and covers everyone in armor-melting acid. Yay!
Friendly Fire: Yes.
Cooldown: There is no 'cooldown.' However, because the bomb only has a single use, your imps have to replace it before it can be used again.
Recovery: No - once the bomb goes off, it's done. If it's attacked, it goes off.

Information: Armor-eating, damage-dealing AoE trap.

Function: This trap hits an area of effect with acid that reduces the armor of its enemies. This should be a certain percentage, such as 20 or 25%, meaning that heavily armored foes take a heavier armor loss than most creatures. Furthermore, it deals a respectable amount of poison damage - nothing to sneeze at, but probably not as much as specialized damage-dealing traps. Once it goes off, it has to be replaced / repaired before it can be used again.

One way to activate the trap would be for an allied creature to shoot it during possession. The bomb would explode on the projectile's impact... and likely explode any other nearby bombs, meaning that a poorly timed misfire during possession could kill your own creatures as well as the enemy's, but a well-placed shot could cut a swathe through enemy ranks if enough bombs were used in a small area.

If multiple bombs have affected a creature, its armor is reduced multiple times, but could only be reduced to 25% of its original armor value by Acid Bombs alone.

Appearance: The Acid Bomb is... a small bomb on the floor, probably green in color or with a sickly green glow. This is so, of course, until someone trips the bomb, causing it to explode in a lovely, acidic splash.

One thing I considered when drafting this idea out is that the bomb could be on a timer once its tile has been stepped on. For example, let's say it has a 3 second timer. An enemy walks on it, and three seconds later, it explodes. This would help it to affect large groups of enemies, but make it virtually useless against scouts (unless used in conjunction with freeze traps).

Another idea would be the implementation of a "detonator" for this device. However, if this is the only trap to use such a mechanic, it's probably not a good idea, but if a number of traps used detonators, that could make it an idea worth pursuing.

I can see this trap working in two ways:
a) Direct damage, bypass armour to deal fixed damage to targets
b) Corrosive debuff that doesn't damage units directly be reduced a targets armour by %

Deceptively similar, but A is a defensive support trap and B is a offensive support trap. I think B could have a lot more reuses since debuffs wouldn't stack (safe-guard against stacking a tonne of debuffs then having a damage dealing trap). Also 75% is a heafty loss in damage protection and could effectively knock the entire team out of action. To balance that the trap would have to be very expensive. So a non-stacking non-damaging armour debuff seems like a good comfortable zone.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Good points - I do like B more, though the original intent was to mix the two. My thought was to make it very expensive, too, yes. Perhaps I should make that clearer.

Either way, it could also be made weaker. The max debuff could be 50%, and each bomb used could do less armor reduction than the last so that the debuff stacks, but it takes, say, 4-5 bombs to reduce an opponent to 50%. This would allow it to be cheaper, but still very useful.

I'm going to wait for more input, but I think I'm going to go back and change it in a way that it leans toward B more (i.e.: is non-damaging) and have it stuck but to a lesser degree, though I'll likely make an alternate version that doesn't stack but deals damage -and- debuffs.

Also note: ONE bomb isn't meant to reduce the enemy's armor effectiveness by 75%. One bomb is 20-25%. It takes multiple bombs to reach 75% total reduction. This was part of my reasoning behind it having some damage. It would still need to be expensive, but you see the point. (And the max debuff would probably be more like 50% than 75%.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom