• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Bait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2013
Appearance: (suggestions please)
Cost: the most expensive trap in the game.
Can only use one at a time

You would not realise you had walked into / past this trap. You would not realise that in doing so you had been covered in a pheromone that attracts a very large and angry beast. You would not realise until walls started to collapse, ceilings caved in and extremely large talons started to rip you apart and throw you large distances.
This pheromone attracts a giant from the darkest depths of the underworld. Too large to fit in your dungeon the most you will see is a glimpse of the beast and a trail of destruction.

This trap is so powerful that it could easily back fire on you so place it wisely. Once a creature is marked it will take about 20 seconds for the monster to detect the scent and attack. Massive destruction will be done to any creature/s near by and all surrounding will be left as caved in rubble. This trap needs to be placed along way from your dungeon so as to avoid damage. Ideally it should be triggered by a enemy creature retreating towards its own base for maximum destruction.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
I see the same problem with this that I saw with your Enchanted Training dummy trap (I forgot the name), you talk about it being placed away from your dungeon and triggered by an enemy going back to it's base. But that would require it to be placed on/close to enemy territory which would probably mean it is outside of your area of influence where you can't place traps.

The AoI is a key part of the game and you need to try and take it into account when coming up with trap ideas, which I understand is a tricky task... probably why the devs are struggling with trap ideas too.

Jun 26, 2013
I see the same problem with this that I saw with your Enchanted Training dummy trap (I forgot the name), you talk about it being placed away from your dungeon and triggered by an enemy going back to it's base. But that would require it to be placed on/close to enemy territory which would probably mean it is outside of your area of influence where you can't place traps.

The AoI is a key part of the game and you need to try and take it into account when coming up with trap ideas, which I understand is a tricky task... probably why the devs are struggling with trap ideas too.
It's not that much of an issue, and like the Ouiji Trap it is all down to positioning. These traps will work best on large maps with a decent about of 'no mans land' in between players. For a sloth player that relies more on traps, why not have a couple of difficult to place but large pay off if got right style traps? .

Also 20 seconds is a long time for the creature to travel, if they are headed towards you maybe you have time to frighten them away?

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Sloth players tend to turtle (well in other DMGs anyway), which means that using your trap would result in a large amount of damage to their own base if it was activated. I'm not totally sure how "no mans land" works in terms of AoI but my guess would be that you can't place traps on it until you've claimed it, at which point it's not no-mans land anymore.

The fact that it is also, invisible/undetectable... and apparently marks the target and is unescapable after marking them (meaning if that unit teleported or rally called into the middle of your base then this thing could do some colossal damage), it could in theory wipe out an entire lair full of creatures and turn the tide of an entire game... Just by placing one trap. And I know that you've said it should be high cost etc, but even if it was the last unlocked trap in the sloth vein I still see it as too overpowered in it's current state. I mean this thing makes the boulder trap look like child's play and the Devs already considered that broken/overpowered.

Jun 26, 2013
(meaning if that unit teleported or rally called into the middle of your base then this thing could do some colossal damage)
Yeah that would be a problem.

I remember in DK 1 and 2 eventually taking over large parts of the map, claiming right up to the enemy base, I think there is plenty of opportunity to place it even having to claim the tile first.
Maybe you could have an path in Sloth where you unlock the ability to place traps on neutral and or enemy tiles?
All these ideas will need careful balance, if the trap proves to powerful I'm sure you could nerf it a bit so it affects a smaller area.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Also if such a pheromone existed, if I were an underlord. I'd chuck it on a fast brave creature and possess it, kamikazing it straight into enemy dungeon. Nice experiment for the crack pots though...

Put simply, I just don't think it's right for the game. Nice original idea though.

Jun 26, 2013
Also if such a pheromone existed, if I were an underlord. I'd chuck it on a fast brave creature and possess it, kamikazing it straight into enemy dungeon. Nice experiment for the crack pots though...

Put simply, I just don't think it's right for the game. Nice original idea though.
It is a fair enough point but maybe that could be a valid move in the game. 'Only the bravest' could mean the strongest which would mean you are sacrificing one of your best creatures. If you think this would be too powerful then we simple tone down the traps power.

(General point I'd like to make)

The developers have not properly defined or even finished coding the mechanics of the game. What is and isn't possible is yet to be understood. This is why I am concentrating on fun and inventive ideas that can be evolved to fit the final mechanic. There are a lot of people on here who come and leave 'why it won't work comments,' I not worried about making it work until I know a definitive set of rules to follow. Who knows a really great idea may change the way the game gets developed.

Jan 3, 2013
If we want to lure creatures, that's either gold, weapon piece or food. Imps only go for gold.

As for the rest - probably a neutral trigger on maps full of neutral creatures ( note not the neutrals that you convert by approaching them, hostile-to-all ones ) would be better. Like if you go through specific tile, everyone gets mad and rush at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom