• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Beast Snare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Highlight: Simple but effective, the Beast Snare is the bane of the dimmer denizens of the Underworld. It's sharp, serrated teeth cause pain and anguish to those that it captures within its terrible jaws.
Vein: Sloth
How does it Work: When a unit steps onto the tile that the Beast Snare occupies this devious device snaps shut, causing damage and trapping the victim within. After a brief period intelligent units are able to dislodge themselves from the trap by releasing the mechanism, but will suffer light bleed damage afterwards. However, beasts, lacking the necessary wit to work with machines are snared within so long as the trap is still functional. Ensnared units may still attack other units within range of their attacks, and they may also do damage to the trap itself as an alternative means of escape. If the trap survives its encounter with the enemy a worker will need to reset it.
Appearance: A bear trap with three concentric sets of jaws with the teeth being serrated rather than straight. (the serrations are there to cause the aforementioned bleed damage)

I figure this would be a good early trap - it's simple yet brutal, single tile and non-ranged, and effective for Sloth players wanting to stop a Wrath player doing a beast rush.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I can imagine enemy minions getting stuck in it. What sort of 'intelligent' creatures will get stuck in this (me being curious, not critical, btw)? Other than the Gnarling, which I believe will have the same level of intelligence as your average kumquat

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I can imagine enemy minions getting stuck in it. What sort of 'intelligent' creatures will get stuck in this (me being curious, not critical, btw)? Other than the Gnarling, which I believe will have the same level of intelligence as your average kumquat
Almost all creatures can get stuck in it when it goes off with a few possible exceptions like spirits since they are incorporeal, but all intelligent creatures are able to dislodge themselves much faster because they can just bust the mechanism because the trap itself is very basic. Beasts trapped in it will have to actually destroy the trap to get out, which will take longer and they may not have much time if there are enemies or other traps attacking them.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I like the general concept. However, so long as we don't know how many and which beast units we will have, this sort of trap could cause major balance problems.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I like the general concept. However, so long as we don't know how many and which beast units we will have, this sort of trap could cause major balance problems.
There are at least four on the Underworld side based on the Wrath Vein reveal, and I don't expect to see many more than that. I'm not too terribly worried about balance for a few reasons:

1. The trap only springs once, and needs a worker to reset it, so it can only be used once in a particular battle.
2. It only targets a single unit - the first enemy that steps on the tile it occupies, which limits the number of units that can be affected at a given time. Also, said units are still free to use all their abilities, so while they are hindered they are not helpless.
3. Without the support of other traps or allied units, the trap doesn't really do much other than some damage and sticking an enemy to a spot for a while, so the trap is quite vulnerable.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
There are at least four on the Underworld side based on the Wrath Vein reveal, and I don't expect to see many more than that. I'm not too terribly worried about balance for a few reasons:

1. The trap only springs once, and needs a worker to reset it, so it can only be used once in a particular battle.
2. It only targets a single unit - the first enemy that steps on the tile it occupies, which limits the number of units that can be affected at a given time. Also, said units are still free to use all their abilities, so while they are hindered they are not helpless.
3. Without the support of other traps or allied units, the trap doesn't really do much other than some damage and sticking an enemy to a spot for a while, so the trap is quite vulnerable.
I suppose that solves the problem. It is just that I fear traps pointed towards one special category of enemy only could potentially make said variant useless, if used en masse.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
yeah , dont like the idea of it only being effective on beasts why not make the whole thing temporary for all (maybe just longer for beasts? ), problem solved.

adding this

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
yeah , dont like the idea of it only being effective on beasts why not make the whole thing temporary for all (maybe just longer for beasts? ), problem solved.
It's not only effective against beasts, it's just more effective against beasts. Intelligent units will still take damage, and if they pry themselves out the "easy" way then they take bleed damage, and the time they can't move is still a valuable loss in a battle. Just as some unit types are better at countering one another, traps and defenses can be specialized as well.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
yeah understood that sorry that i couldnt get my point over: having a unlimited snare for one type of creatures is a little hard why not make the beast come out of it as well? maybe they need longer for that?

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
yeah understood that sorry that i couldnt get my point over: having a unlimited snare for one type of creatures is a little hard why not make the beast come out of it as well? maybe they need longer for that?
Well, it's not really unlimited - the trapped creature can still attack and damage the trap, and if it gets destroyed the creature is let loose. This should generally take longer anyways, unless you're dealing with a very high level creature.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Let me try and clarify this for people since i'm pretty sure I get what Enjou means and it'll sum it up for any newcomers for the thread.

• The Trap goes on a ground tile.
  • A creature steps on it. SNAP! The creature is trapped taking damage and bleeding
  • An intelligent creature figures out how the mechanism works, trips it and breaks free quickly.
  • An unintelligent beast flails around wildly attacking the entire trap rather than the mechanism and takes longer to break free.
  • If an intelligent creature escapes, the trap is left useless until a worker comes along and resets it (by opening the mechanism/jaws back out)
If that's the case then I see no reason why this wouldn't work in game, especially as an early game counter for sloth players to use against wrath rushers.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Let me try and clarify this for people since i'm pretty sure I get what Enjou means and it'll sum it up for any newcomers for the thread.

• The Trap goes on a ground tile.
  • A creature steps on it. SNAP! The creature is trapped taking damage and bleeding
  • An intelligent creature figures out how the mechanism works, trips it and breaks free quickly.
  • An unintelligent beast flails around wildly attacking the entire trap rather than the mechanism and takes longer to break free.
  • If an intelligent creature escapes, the trap is left useless until a worker comes along and resets it (by opening the mechanism/jaws back out)
If that's the case then I see no reason why this wouldn't work in game, especially as an early game counter for sloth players to use against wrath rushers.
Two clarifications
1. The bleed damage only applies after the trap is escaped - serrated blades are designed to cause additional damage when you remove them, so while they're still in there they don't really get any additional damage.
2. If the trapped creature dies/loses consciousness while in the trap the trap still needs to be reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom