• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Fools Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2013

This trap produces an endless supply of fake gold. (Short cool down). Enemy imps will waste time mining from it, travelling all the way back to their treasury for nothing. Stupid creatures will steal the gold leading to a delayed unhappiness once they try to spend it later on. It looks the same as any gold left on the floor.

Additional upgrade - (I'm not sure if this shouldn't be a different trap rather than an upgrade to this trap).

Basically a large pot of fake gold that has your spies hiding with in, (Trojan horse). Once discovered the pot is taken back in to the enemy dungeon and stored in the treasury. The pot will sit there providing a small amount of vision until evacuated. Once evacuated a couple of little minions climb out of the pot for you to scout with.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Pyrite is far from uncommon and can easily be used to fool enemies into thinking, that there is a small fortune laying on the ground. I like the idea, but any minion with over average intelligence would be able to distinguish pyrite, which is actually iron disulfide, from gold.
-By hardness, as pyrite is harder than gold.
-By brittleness, pyrite shatters, while gold won't.
-By form. Pyrite cristallizes into cubes or dodecahedrons or several other cristals, while Gold tends to be amorpous.
-By mass. Pyrite has 4,8 to 5 grams per cubic centimetre, while gold weighs 19,3 grams per cubic centimetre.
Imps are not very bright, so it might be enough to fool them. They might notice, that their load of 'gold' only weighs one third of the usual weight, but they won't care, as they hurry back into the treasury. Crackpots or other researchers however, have probably already tricked someone with pyrite themselves.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
From a gameplay perspective, this trap can be powerful without inflicting bodily harm. It can have a devastating effect on the enemies economy, if his Imps will only collect fake gold. This might be a greed player's favourite trap against his sloth heavy competitors, as they will be unalbe to pay wages, traps alone won't be enough to protect a dungeon.
I am not sure whether or not this will work in multiplayer, as an observant player would try to destroy the fool's gold menace as soon as possible. This stuff is almost as dangerous as unfunded loan certificates, if you lack intelligent creatures.

Jan 7, 2012
I am not sure whether or not this will work in multiplayer, as an observant player would try to destroy the fool's gold menace as soon as possible. This stuff is almost as dangerous as unfunded loan certicicates, if you lack intelligent creatures.
If you dont see it, you deserve it.
I think its a nice trap, we all have these phases were we arent looking at our imps for longer times, but because the fog of war fades with your creatures it would be easy to spot as a balance, also at the point were your gold income decreases you are automatically looking were you get your ressources or new ones, making it almost impossible to loose everything at a short rate.
Maybe it could be used to lure certain greedy units into traps/dangerous areas.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I love this idea. But I think it shouldn't be an endless supply.; when it runs out, it runs out surely!

Jun 26, 2013
I love this idea. But I think it shouldn't be an endless supply.; when it runs out, it runs out surely!
I think that would make the trap too weak. It doesn't do any physical damage and should be easy enough to figure out/ spot. It is a trap best used against the unobservant. Either that of a very short cool down.

Jan 3, 2013
I'd go for something like Jack-in-the-box thing. Right now if player finds that fake gold being dug by imps or dragged to the treasury he will try to stop imp or make sure it doesn't reach the destination.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
i dont like the "imps will waste time farming it" part. while i cant control my creatures i dont want my economic to be random/enemy player influenced that much. Imps arent strong and will most likely die anyway if near enemy territory but if i have payday i want them to actually farm gold

adding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom