• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Ice Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice Cube
Very annoying, freezing solid one-use trap. It's not cheap to produce, sucks moderate amount of mana when activated and You need to unlock several Sloth's Sins to unlock this trap.

Stats
Highlight: Freezes anyone who steps on the trap tile, creates a big ice cube obstacle.
Vein: Sloth.
How does it Work: Whenever the enemy steps on the trap tile everyone on this tile is instantly freezed into a big ice cube. Frozen units can do nothing, unless the ice cube melts down. It creates a form of an obstacle so until it won't be destroyed anyone in the corridor for example couldn't go ahead/through the Ice Cube.

To free the frozen units You need to destroy it by Your creatures (like You destroys common doors). To make it faster You can use fire spells that deals twice damage to the Ice Cube. After destroying Ice Cube trap dissapears.

The amount of trap "HPs" and melting down time depends on what kind of climate ritual is working at the moment:
- During the Ice Age, Ice Cube has 50% HP more than normal and You have to wait up to 50% longer until the Ice Cube melts down.
- During the Global Warming, Ice Cube has 50% HP less than normal and You have to wait up to 50% shorter until the Ice Cube melts down.
If there is no climate change it has everything set on the 100% (normal state).

This trap is quite strong and it takes about even 15-20 seconds unless it melts down. This trap affects on flying units too.

About AI and units behaviours
Due to freeze, freezed units are indestructible (with mean that cannot be target of anything) and a trap turns it's state to a barricade form. Creatures from both sides cannot shot through it, but can damage it, even allies.that
Creatures during the combat on both sides of Ice Cube (when it closes the corridor) see enemies, but reactss like creatures reacted in DK 2 - melee units waits for Ice Cube until it melts off or be destroyed, ranged unit can shoot to it. That should not happen, so use it wisely Underlord.

What's more it just pop out, is can be discovered by only special ability or just after activate it... but that would be too late. ;)

Appearance: At standby state is a small ice hole in the ground, then activated turns into the big ice cube.
Optional addons
- After melting down or being destroyed it can slows movement, casting and attack speed of frozen before creatures because of frostbite effect

Very useful when
- You want to temporize
- You want to block corridors
- You want to escape, but You don't have doors
- You want to surprise that bastards

It's not recommended when
- Enemy can use easily his Global Warming ritual
- Enemy's Blood Imps or any other innocuous units walks often across the place where this trap has been put
- Enemy has many fire creatures

I hope You enjoyed it as I enjoyed it making this suggestion. I encourage You to talk about this suggestion. :)

Last edited:

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
While I generally like this concept, I think 15-20 seconds is a bit hefty, even considering this trap only temporarily removes the unit from play and is affected by Global Warming and fire spells (but also Ice Age).

Another problem I make out is the fact that you generally can only indirectly control your minions (except when directly controlling a single one), which may or may not result in fuss about the target priority - i.e. should your minions concentrate their attacks on the ice block because the captured creature is integral to your attack plan, or should they take care of any nearby enemies first before freeing their comrade from the ice coffin? I fear there simply are to many situations where option 1 would be the ideal solution while option 2 would result in the player sputtering a stream of obscenities, and vice versa.

The simplest solution to this problem I can think of would be turning the traditional lighting spell of the Underlord itself into some sort of Fireball spell, so that, even though you have to reroute your attention to the frozen creature, you still have a direct option of freeing it, rather than having to rely on the at times random behavior of your creatures.

While I generally like this concept, I think 15-20 seconds is a bit hefty, even considering this trap only temporarily removes the unit from play and is affected by Global Warming and fire spells (but also Ice Age).
It would be almost useless if it wouldn't freeze for a long time, regarding to it's cost and HP. If You have more units Ice Block could be destroyed quickly like they simply destroys a common door.

Another problem I make out is the fact that you generally can only indirectly control your minions (except when directly controlling a single one), which may or may not result in fuss about the target priority - i.e. should your minions concentrate their attacks on the ice block because the captured creature is integral to your attack plan, or should they take care of any nearby enemies first before freeing their comrade from the ice coffin? I fear there simply are to many situations where option 1 would be the ideal solution while option 2 would result in the player sputtering a stream of obscenities, and vice versa.

The simplest solution to this problem I can think of would be turning the traditional lighting spell of the Underlord itself into some sort of Fireball spell, so that, even though you have to reroute your attention to the frozen creature, you still have a direct option of freeing it, rather than having to rely on the at times random behavior of your creatures.
Right I didn't say anything about what about creatures that are fighting with themselves in a place where Ice cube has been activated or enemies that just are going to Your base and some of them left behind, that Ice Cube didn't freeze.
If the Ice Cube is activated it change it's form to an obstacle like was barricade in DK 2. Every creatures that would go through the frozen cube starts to see I'm as enemy's trap to destroy.
If we simulates action where our creatures fights against enemy and in front of them would Ice Cube appear blocking or not the way that will change their target to another or to nothing because when creature is frozen it turns to an indestructible - that means that if someone would attack indestructible one this wouldn't be possible o attack it (like it was in Warcraft3). Friendly creatures in closed by Ice Cube corridor will behave like they would have common obstacle in the front of them, but couldn't do anything except shooting range attacks (so they could destroy their trap, You need then to predict this possibility and avoid it).
Thanks for noticed that.

Ice Cube is made to get a time for actions or to slows the enemy effectively.

Last edited:

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
The Iceblock basically forces enemies, that step onto it to become snared, right? So unlike the freezing trap of DK2, which applied a 30% slow to enemy movement speed and didn't do any damage, that was worth mentioning, this trap will actually be quite useful. I imagine, that the Iceblock will freeze the tile to about half its height, so it still allows ranged attacks to pass over it. The duration of the cube allows to prepare a suitable force of defence for when the cube finally melts.
In my eyes, the trap can be taken into the main game, as it fits the ice theme of sloth and manages to be a generally useful trap to have, as it allows you to reset a fight, or force your fighting style onto the enemy. Depending whether or not the the frozen creatures can be attacked or not, the duration is either perfectly ok, since the fight is just delayed, so you can gather your troops, or a little too much, when it allows you to take down the enemy, when he has basically no chance to do anything about it.
I assume the former, since it also blocks a passage, like a barricade. Optically, I imagine it to look like a nice geometrical cube with the frozen creatures sticking out of it like sculptures. It makes sense, that the prisoners wouldn't be easy at all to damage, since most materials, that are coolded to very low temperatures are very hard. The cube could be created from the air by cooling it down to below -219°C the creatures not taking lethal cold damage could still be explained by game balance, since one hit kills feel generally cheap.
Edit: The composition could also explain, why fire damage can get the ice block down more easily. There are some interesting experiments with liquid oxygen, that evaporeates as the cube melts.

Last edited:
The Iceblock basically forces enemies, that step onto it to become snared, right? So unlike the freezing trap of DK2, which applied a 30% slow to enemy movement speed and didn't do any damage, that was worth mentioning, this trap will actually be quite useful. I imagine, that the Iceblock will freeze the tile to about half its height, so it still allows ranged attacks to pass over it. The duration of the cube allows to prepare a suitable force of defence for when the cube finally melts.
In my eyes, the trap can be taken into the main game, as it fits the ice theme of sloth and manages to be a generally useful trap to have, as it allows you to reset a fight, or force your fighting style onto the enemy. Depending whether or not the the frozen creatures can be attacked or not, the duration is either perfectly ok, since the fight is just delayed, so you can gather your troops, or a little too much, when it allows you to take down the enemy, when he has basically no chance to do anything about it.
I assume the former, since it also blocks a passage, like a barricade. Optically, I imagine it to look like a nice geometrical cube with the frozen creatures sticking out of it like sculptures. It makes sense, that the prisoners wouldn't be easy at all to damage, since most materials, that are coolded to very low temperatures are very hard. The cube could be created from the air by cooling it down to below -219°C the creatures not taking lethal cold damage could still be explained by game balance, since one hit kills feel generally cheap.
Right. I thought about the Ice Cube that would totally block the way as You would place a wall there, but maybe it would be useful where it's height is cut to half of wall height, You could really damage enemies if You have ranged unit more than their. In the other hand full-blocking big ice cube in one tile width corridor could help creatures escaping because anything couldn't go through unless Ice Cube will be destroyed.
I like the idea for cooling system, -219°C, brrrr.... *searching for coat*

In general, this trap has this advantage that is very hard to see, only can be noticed after activates, but would be too late. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom