• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Leech Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Highlight: The Leech Stone is an arcane trap created from the blackest arts of necromancy. It sucks the life out of its target only to transfer it to your own minions.
Vein: Greed
How does it Work: Should an enemy creature come in range of this device it will send out a magical cord of energy which shall link with it and drain the victim of its very life essence, doing damage so long as the link is maintained. Should you have an injured minion close by while the drain is taking place it will send out a second cord that will transfer those life energies to it and provide healing. However, this device is less effective at both harming and healing the undead.
Cost: Gold, part of the Underlord's mana pool.
Appearance: A floating black stone covered in glowing runes connected to chains that anchor it to the ground.

Jan 3, 2013
Gold price, I'm not sure if it's needed considering the fact it will already be draining precious mana, not to mention it will only damage one creature and heal one at the same time.

Also lack of values, aka HP% drain and the price, as well as drain rate make this trap look quite imbalanced on various aspects.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Gold price, I'm not sure if it's needed considering the fact it will already be draining precious mana, not to mention it will only damage one creature and heal one at the same time.
The gold price is for initial construction only, like I imagine most other traps and defenses will be. The mana cost is there to prevent it from being overpowered by having a large number of them bunched up.

Also lack of values, aka HP% drain and the price, as well as drain rate make this trap look quite imbalanced on various aspects.
We don't know any of the values of anything else in the game and more than likely such things would be changed when it came time to balance, so assigning specific values to any suggested trap or unit at this point would be an exercise in futility. At this point suggestions just need to be general concepts.

Jan 3, 2013
I thought it was gold per second price too, my bad.

As for values, well, you could still come up with rough numbers, or at least % based ones, like 1% hp per second at the cost of 1 - 10 mana based on creature level.

One thing I'm certain though is fighting the area covered with such trap can be risky if not suicidal. Also what will happen if there are two of these nearby and there's only one enemy creature out there, will they both drain hp from poor guy?

Jul 29, 2013
Can always have a limit on the ammount this trap can be placed and/or a range they need to be seperated

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
As for values, well, you could still come up with rough numbers, or at least % based ones, like 1% hp per second at the cost of 1 - 10 mana based on creature level.
I could, but again I don't see a point. My understanding of the design philosophy that the dev team is using for traps is that they are meant to be supported by your minions and other traps rather than being able to stand alone, so the numbers wouldn't be such that the trap could kill something much more substantial than a worker on its own.

Also the mana cost isn't a per second thing - I'm using the same cost mechanic as Ember Rifts in that placing one takes a permanent chunk of your mana pool away from you until the trap is destroyed or sold.

One thing I'm certain though is fighting the area covered with such trap can be risky if not suicidal.
If a unit is alone and the trap has something else defending it, then yes. With allies supporting the assault I don't think it would affect the battle too much. Also, undead are strong against it.

Also what will happen if there are two of these nearby and there's only one enemy creature out there, will they both drain hp from poor guy?
It could work that multiple of them can target a single unit at the same level of effectiveness, or multiple can target a single unit with diminishing effectiveness, or only one could target a unit at a time. I don't particularly have a strong leaning in any direction on this question, so I think it would just be a matter of determining what the right thing to do would be during play testing if the devs decided to make something like this.

Jan 3, 2013
Well, trap like this certainly will be placed in specific areas, like near shrines and portals. The goal of it is to grant player significant combat advantage in area that normally can't be defended without heavy fortification, so if there will be a clash, defender will have at least +1 creature advantage due to trap's ability to heal allies and damage enemies at the same time. Put 3 or 4 of these and there will be solid mini block-post around them. In other words, I doubt this trap will be exposed without protection, and surely not alone.

What I'm curious are stats it will have because the concept itself is looks fine, but the balancing part may be very tricky to manage.

Jun 26, 2013
Nice Idea, I like it. I imagine a trap like this will be essential and probably limited to the Sloth vein. A nice way to balance weaker Sloth creatures against powerful Wrath creatures.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Nice Idea, I like it. I imagine a trap like this will be essential and probably limited to the Sloth vein. A nice way to balance weaker Sloth creatures against powerful Wrath creatures.
Being arcane in nature I see it as more of a Greed trap. Sloth creatures would probably be relatively strong against it actually, considering they seem to be more tanky and would have lots of HP.

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
this gives me an idea for a companion trap. Maybe the leech itself wouldn't store HP, but a kind of storage trap could be placed and used like an HP battery? maybe even an alternate one for mana with a mana battery that would allow extended spell use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom