• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap Mechanic] - Creature Exclusive Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hey all,
I know that suggesting mechanics at this stage in WftO's development is rather dodgy ground, however, I feel this little mechanic could probably fit in quite nicely. I did some searching and found a rather similar suggestion dating back to last November, but I feel that it is now rather outdated compared with the WftO we know and love at the moment and was geared towards dungeon personalization, rather than a raw general game play mechanic. Okay so here is the idea:

After building the foundry, you have access to a number of 'base traps', which are fairly general traps (for example spike traps, snare traps, that sort of thing) which every Underlord can build straight off.
As you acquire new types of creature, new types of trap become available to you which relate to that creature.

I made the following up totally off the top of my head as the kind of traps this mechanic could produce:
  • Acquiring a Necromancer>>>enables creation of a 'hands of death trap' which causes undead hands to shoot out of the ground and grab enemy creatures
  • Acquiring a Occulus>>>enables creation of a 'Eye of the Underlord trap', a great trap suggestion by Enjou
  • Acquiring a Gargoyle>>>enables creation of a 'sentinel statue trap', a statue which can't move but becomes animated and attacks enemy creatures if they come near.
The actual suggestions above aren't really important, they were just examples of how traps could relate to their corresponding creature.

So what does this mechanic mean for the game? Well, I guess it would definitely create more of an incentive for increasing creature diversity within dungeons (so less desire for Black Knight horde equivalents). Secondly, it would allow for a creative way of balancing creatures without actually having to change anything about the creature itself. Thirdly...well, I guess it is just something that is quite interesting.

So in conclusion...I have no conclusion. But what do you guys think?

Artaire

Bloodling
May 23, 2013
UK, Lancashire
I think its a great idea, I mean DK2 Mp was literally as you said, get as many black knights/mistresss, train em up and faceroll. GG.

Fireflies and such were relatively useless, but if they had some kind of unique ability as you say, then it would definitely make for more interesting game play, if it could create its own kind of trap then it would certainly be a lot more useful. Especially when there is nothing stopping you possessing a unit and going scouting with it. It kinda makes a scouting role a bit less desirable. So I think this may be a way to go ^^A

Jan 3, 2013
Traps shouldn't be related to the creatures in the dungeon. After all, none of them do take part in trap manufacturing, except the ones who do work in the foundry.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
to be honest its a good idea in my opinion. BUT we have the veins of evil and with a mechanic like this we would weaken their role in the game . as such im not sure if it would work.

adding

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
to be honest its a good idea in my opinion. BUT we have the veins of evil and with a mechanic like this we would weaken their role in the game . as such im not sure if it would work.

adding

That's a fair point. Nevertheless, I do recommend a large number of base traps which are not creature specific. Therefore, there may be room for both mechanics to exist simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom