• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Oubliette, [Trap] Poison Dart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
There's nothing original about the traps I'm suggesting today. One of them is similar, but not the same, to a previously suggested trap (I forget the exact name), and the other... is a classic video game trap.

Here we go:

----------------------------------------

Name: Oubliette

Stats:

Uses: Infinite.
Blood cost: Probably not - it's not magical.
Target: Single-target, but multiple creatures can fall in, potentially.
Friendly Fire: Yes, but only if said creature falls in while the trap is open.
Cooldown: Fifteen seconds, give or take.
Recovery: Unsure if the trap could even be targetted; see information and function.

Information: The oubliette is, simply put, a hole in the floor with spikes inside concealed by a hidden trapdoor. When enough pressure is applied, or a wire is tripped, the oubliette opens and its victims fall to their doom, or at least to their ticket to the health insurance office.

Function: When a victim falls into the oubliette, they take physical damage. It is not an especially high amount of damage, but that is because it is only one of two functions of the trap. The trap serves to slow down your enemies by forcing them to then climb back out of the pit and get onto solid ground before moving forward again (or, perhaps, before falling into another oubliette).

Appearance: It appears as a barely noticeable trapdoor when concealed; when open, it's a dark pit full of bloody spikes.

----------------------------------------

Name: Poison Dart

Stats:

Uses: Lots or infinite.
Blood cost: None.
Target: Single, but rapid-firing.
Friendly Fire: Generally, no.
Cooldown: 0.5 seconds; perhaps less.
Recovery: It must be repaired manually.

Information: Poison darts shoot out from the wall to strike unwary victims. There's little more to be said.

Function: This trap must be placed within three squares of a wall that is directly facing this trap to function. When this requirement is met, any enemy that steps over the 'trap' is then shot with poison darts from any walls that meet this specification. While the damage from the darts themselves is pretty negligible, they inflict a unique poison status that does not stack with itself (except in duration to a maximum time limit). This poison will slowly damage the enemy over time.

Appearance: A pressure plate on the floor; small arrow holes in the walls.

Adubuu

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Jan 6, 2013
.. Actually love both of these. The oubliette would be an interesting one to animate, as to whether it's small enough for other creatures to edge around it while someone else is inside. I'd assume yes.

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
.. Actually love both of these. The oubliette would be an interesting one to animate, as to whether it's small enough for other creatures to edge around it while someone else is inside. I'd assume yes.
I would like that to be a possibility. I'd hate for it to be an "always gets the creature" trap.

Cultist Joris

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Agreed! Some good basic little-damage traps... :)

Notorious_BLT

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Nov 7, 2012
I like the idea of both of these. The only concern I would have is how difficult programming the Poison Dart traps logic would be. I'm not a programmer so I have absolutely no idea how hard or easy it would be :confused:.

Jan 7, 2012
I dont think the poison thing is something that hasnt been done yet often before,
but I gues it will be hard too make a good trapdoor. It would be cool if we could see which creature has falled in which could be hard to see with dk view perspective, unless the hole is just a metre deep.
Maybe a 2x2 trapdoor would cause less problems, but there should be one, trapdoors are one of the most awesome traps.
But what if a creature dies in the oubliette and you want the corpse? A special imp animation for pulling the carcass out would be too much work for a single trap.

VostgardXII

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Jan 7, 2013
[email protected]:An easy way would be to let the creatures could just climb up and then die.

Those who have played 'Evil genius' are familiar to both wall/floor traps and pressure plates.
I really liked that system.

Jan 7, 2012
[email protected]:An easy way would be to let the creatures could just climb up and then die.

Those who have played 'Evil genius' are familiar to both wall/floor traps and pressure plates.
I really liked that system.
it would lookk odd if they just would fall dead to the ground after climbing out, maybe just a dark pit without spikey ground and every creature which falls in and should be dead climbs out with 1 hp instead of dying.
Or just make it a very expensive and effective trap which swallows the corpses and is useless against small and flying creatures as drawback.
How did the trapdoor mechanic in evil genius work?, I couldnt found a video.

VostgardXII

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Jan 7, 2013
it would lookk odd if they just would fall dead to the ground after climbing out, maybe just a dark pit without spikey ground and every creature which falls in and should be dead climbs out with 1 hp instead of dying.
Or just make it a very expensive and effective trap which swallows the corpses and is useless against small and flying creatures as drawback.
How did the trapdoor mechanic in evil genius work?, I couldnt found a video.
the trap mechanic was that you could link any numbers of traps to one sensor device (pressure, motion,laser)
when activated, the traps would effect friend or foe alike.

The only 'trapdoor' trap i know of also had vertical flamethrowers that spat out all who fell.

Jan 7, 2012
GEMA wont let me see this vid, but I see what you mean, the dungeon fitting version could be some muddy green water and a tentacle which throws the corpses or wounded creatures out.
Or the Dungeon Master classicer with the blue teleport field.

Inlaa

Arcanist
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Concerning the poison trap logic: I don't know how hard that would be, either, but if you consider a three square radius wherein the wall MUST be directly facing the pressure plate, then... I don't think it would be THAT difficult, but I can't assure you of that.

Concerning the trapdoors, I feel like it would make sense for the victims to climb out, then collapse on the floor and die. That does result in extra animations being made (namely, the climbing out of the hole part), so extra animations are still a valid concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom