• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2012
The Netherlands
I been thinking about what kind of traps would be fit and work while being interesting.
This trap i came up while thinking what kind of trap would be original since spikes that come from the floor is kinda standard (not meaning less fun but still.) and other things I came up with aren't really usable.

[Trap] Splitter
Name: Splitter ( floor blade, divider)

Stats:
Health: Average
Attack: Average - High
Armor: Average - High when not cooldown (being hidden in solid stone helps) Low - Average when on cooldown

(not sure if i put the stats right as i couldn't find an example.)

Uses: If breakable 15 times due to damage and the blade slamming to the floor which lowers the damage dealt until the chain breaks so it can't reset itself.

I think traps should be repairable making it work longer ( half what it would do rounded down to 7?)
In this case the blade and chain will need to be looked after until the core mechanics give in (the spring and such)

Mana Drain: None since its all mechanical

Target: Area effect 1 /(2?) tile in each direction (expect diagonal?)

Friendly Fire: Post what you think on this I'm not sure if it should it will not be triggered by friendly units.
if so only when enemy units walk over it friendlies may be damaged

Cooldown: 5 seconds in which this trap is very unprotected
due to chains hanging around in the open that can be cut.

Recovery: None (needs to be repaired?)

Information: Its a four blades on a floor tile that slice the enemy creatures when they trigger it.

Function: Makes one enemy into two smaller enemies (dealing damage, knock back?)

Appearance: A four little slots?. in the floor when triggered a four blades come out in each direction
(expect diagonal?)

(Optional: If theres a wall next to it the side that has the wall won't have a blade.
if two blades were left it will become on very big blade in the middle)

I might draw / (search) something and put it in here to give you all an idea how it would look.
Everything what i put here is open for suggestions and changes

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
Information: Its a four blades on a floor tile that slice the enemy creatures when they trigger it.
Why should blades be inserted in the floor where their impact would be heavily weakened because they don't use gravity to their advantage? If you meant the blades are falling from the ceiling, I might have got this wrong, but still...
Function: Makes one enemy into two smaller enemies (dealing damage, knock back?)
o_O

This is not a tower defense game. Creatures are dealt damage and die if applicable but they certainly aren't split into multiple living beings. Maybe there could be one specific kind of creature that tends to split when below a certain percentage of health, just as a suggestion.

Why not make this trap much easier - how about a guillotine that comes from the ceiling? Sudden and deadly (in a metaphorical sense, though it might inflict a lot of damage). The blade could either come falling or swinging.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I have to agree with CookieLord entirely on this one. A guillotine makes perfect sense because you don't need to worry about "What if I don't play my trap by a wall?" and it uses gravity, as he said. Also... Let me quote the exact thing he quoted because I made the exact same expression.

o_O

This... Okay: If I drop a MASSIVE BLADE on a knight's arm, it doesn't make an armless knight and an arm that becomes a knight. It makes an armless knight dying of blood loss. If you were talking about opponents like, say, oozes or jellies or maybe even tentacles, then this trap's 'function' makes sense... but not against normal creatures and heroes.

Having a guillotine would be very fun in the dungeon, though. It sounds like it would effectively be a spike trap with higher damage but a longer cooldown.

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
A guillotine seems a bit cliché, in my opinion. How about just a giant axe swinging from the ceiling in an arc? It does pretty much the same thing to the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom