• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Trap] Whirling Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
Traps
Name: Whirling Fan (or something)

Stats:

Uses: inf
Mana Drain: no
Target: multiple straight line, effect on 8 squares
Friendly Fire: yes
Cooldown: don't know
Recovery: no

Information: A large wall mounted fan designed to generate massive gusts of wind.

Function: when an enemy walks into any of the 4 squares in front of the fan the fan will activate pushing the enemy(ies) and friendlies along. If there is a wall within 8 squares of the fan's range, the creatures caught in it will hit the wall and take damage. If creatures reach the ninth square, they fall down similar to what happens when you pick up and drop them

Appearance: A large fan mounted inside the wall.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
Would be look?
o_O

The long cooldown will be necessary in the name of balancing but I like the idea of large creatures being unaffected by it. perhaps any creature behind it are also unaffected and that light flying units are more adversely affected.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
Another thing to consider, perhaps, would be that this trap could be damageable once it's been turned on. Perhaps ranged units could launch ranged attacks on it while being blown back?

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
I don't think anyone caught in it should be able to attack it, but if someone was standing in the tile next to it, they could hit for extra damage (it's a fan) and perhaps destroy easily.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Unidirectional... what happens if you place it on a wall that has two, or even four exposed sides?

It isn't much harder to have it as a tile trap, and then dig out an extra square at the end of the corridor. The trap could rotate like a sentry trap. Even when it starts to target an approaching group of enemies, you can have it's arc move through a 100 degree arc, so that enemy units aren't simply stuck... they can still make progress between being hit by it so it only slows. It also means that it is more effective against a wide front, but can actually be used outside a corridor situation.

Tile-based traps are better because they also makes it easier to see/assess what is going on when the trap fires, not forgetting that multiplayer must be balanced.

Possible balance issues include lava, bridges, chasms and large numbers of the trap. Possibly balanced by a high gold cost and peroids of overheating... more or less frequent depending on the weight of the creatures it attacks.

I don't think anyone caught in it should be able to attack it, but if someone was standing in the tile next to it, they could hit for extra damage (it's a fan) and perhaps destroy easily.
If its a wall mounted trap it is very unlikely that that will be the case. It will be placed at the end of very long corridors controlled by YOU. The enemy wouldn't be coming up the corridor if they had a shorter way in behind the trap.
That is also horrible balancing if you Hard Rock on a map and the enemy tales advantage of that. Chokepoints exist you know. Get behind it HOW?

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I do have one thought about being able to affect this trap while under its effects: Obviously, you can't shoot arrows into that much wind, but magic defies the laws of reality. A fireball could probably fly across and hit that fan if launched by a wizard caught in the blast. A lot of spells probably could. That's my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom