• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Traps] A Generic Traps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
Now since I have no idea how the traps game mechanic will be set up but there are a few traps I'd like to suggest a few traps, some may be obvious others not. These are just suggestions so I'm not going to concrete anything just make vague ideas towards the properties of the traps.

Name: Arrow/Dart Trap

Stats: I don't know what this means so I'll ignore it until someone tells me.

Uses: A large amount.
Mana Drain: No
Target: Area
Friendly Fire: Yes
Cooldown: A small amount of time.
Recovery: No

Information: A basic trigger and get stuck full of arrows trap. Can only be built in a 1 square wide corridor.

Function: Shoots arrows out into the air hitting anybody in the affected area.

Appearance: A bunch of holes in the wall, perhaps the texture depends on the room it's in. (add carven faces for a regular corridor, just circles for cave)

Name: Spike Trap

Stats:

Uses: A large amount
Cooldown: Medium amount of time (allows spikes to retract)

Information: Spikes shoot out of the wall,floor or ceiling impaling anyone unlucky enough to get caught in it.

Function: Stabs units. Units caught in it cannot move and while activated it becomes impassable.

Appearance: Square or circular holes in the floor or ceiling.

Name: Pitfall Trap

Stats:

Uses: Infinite
Cooldown: Medium

Information: It's a hole in the ground. Note this is a composite trap, units aren't going to fall in unless pushed by another trap or unit etc.

Function: Gets in the way of units. Instant kill for anyone who falls in it.

Appearance: A hole.

Name: Cage Trap

Stats:

Uses: A lot
Mana Drain: No, but it does afterwards.
Target: Single
Friendly Fire: No
Cooldown: Depends

Information: Magically or otherwise, it traps a single unit and drains it's health and mana until it is dead or an ally lets it out. Whereupon the trap is activatable again. Note that some units are too strong to be contained. (Also comes in a magic variety.)

Function: Disables and kills units.

Appearance: Depends upon how it would be placed. Is the trap in one room and the cage in another or what? (I don't know)

Feel free to add your own as replies.

LFW

Priestess
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
The arrow/dart trap... but wall-mounted!
Thus, when activated, it could potentially shoot down a long hallway, injuring multiple enemies...

Theres an idea. Wall-mounted traps

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Wall-mounted traps? An oft suggested idea but not very practical in terms of game mechanics if you ask me.

Dec 17, 2011
I've got a trap suggestion.

A trap that activates after a couple of enemies walk past, it then creates a portcullis to slowdown the following enemies. Cutting off the first ones to be fought first.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
The way I envision trap placement is that they can be placed on/in the floor, walls and ceiling. Some traps are unavailable for certain things (i.e. spike traps can go on any surface, trapdoors only in floors) special traps such as Overlord's portcullis (which I like) would take up an entire block.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Trap door is pointless when the same can be achieved merely by selling the bridge, and it additionally blurs mechanics on claiming bridges if they are handled the same way as rooms.
Its also quite OP because it requires no effort or micromanagement from you as an automated trap.

It isn't feasible because....
a) It doesn't add anything over traditional traps in terms of gameplay. Any trap wall-mounted can be just as easily realised in a tile-based form and so it doesn't create any uniqueness in and of itself, and merely blurs and confuses the mechanics of trap placement and negatively effects cohesiveness of said mechanics. It is adding traps for traps sake.
b) It overcomplicates mechanics of claiming in relation to traps, as there is no trap on the tile itself. It is frustrating when considering the mechanics of digging and excavation. And depending on whether or not other traps can be placed in front of them, it can be completely unbalanced.
d) All it does is change the method of placement, it doesn't create any uniqueness. Any trap that is wall mounted could be done just as easily tile-mounted. Uniqueness is achieved through unique gameplay effects, not through screwing arround with basic game placement and tile mechanics for the sake of doing so.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia

I hadn't considered that. Thanks for drawing my attention to that, however if possible, mounting traps in walls, floor and ceiling on the same tile would be 4x as deadly, but perhaps unnecessarily complicated when it comes to claiming...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom