• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

UI - Hotkeys/shortcuts/keymapping

Hobbes

Dwarven Worker
Feb 12, 2015
Will War for the Overworld see the implementation of hotkeys? As of now, I have not seen this topic being addressed, and a search on these forums has not yielded any concrete results. Key-mapping is a priority for any game with micromanagement. I find this game really difficult and frustrating to play without a way to quickly manage it. Using the GUI to cast spells, select(pickup) specific units, and place a rally flag is too tedious and time consuming in tight situations when you're under attack. The rally flag buttons are much too small and inconvenient, but making them larger would only detract from the real issue. If you plan to create challenging campaigns and game-play, their difficulties should not be determined by the capabilities of the UI. Without hotkeys and key-mapping, you're limiting the player.

I propose
-Tab - cycle through the GUI tabs- spells, minions, room placements, etc
-keyboard numbers 1-10/shift+1-10 - assigned to each tile within each tab. (shift+1-10 for when there are more than 10 tiles)
-A key to pick up workers
-A key for each rally flag
-A key to open and close all doors/gates
-Allow the user to assign their keys to elements of the game to their liking.

Sincerely.

Last edited:

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Hi Hobbes, I can confirm that we have talked about it internally. The game will have hotkeys at some point but our highest priority right now is to complete the base game and have it as bug free as possible.
-A key to select all workers
You cannot control your creatures directly in this game, if you want your workers at a certain spot you can cast a Worker Rally flag.

Hobbes

Dwarven Worker
Feb 12, 2015
You cannot control your creatures directly in this game, if you want your workers at a certain spot you can cast a Worker Rally flag.
My mistake. I meant select as in picking up with the cursor.

Hi Hobbes, I can confirm that we have talked about it internally. The game will have hotkeys at some point but our highest priority right now is to complete the base game and have it as bug free as possible.
Do you plan to add them before the game's release? Being connected to the game's core mechanics, it seems like they should be a priority. As constructive criticism, they should have more importance and not just be an after-thought. For me, this is the only concern I have for the game, I'm loving everything else about it.. Theme, concept, game-play. Just not the UI.

Last edited:

Rakliar

Dwarven Worker
Mar 10, 2015
I think Hotkeys are very important. The game plays very fluent so far and is pretty fast paced. The only thing that slows you down is the UI and creature mangement. You should at least be able to summon the Research screen with a hot key, put Creatures in groups easier and gather them really quick. I Think that would be a really noce improvement

Feb 1, 2014
I think Hotkeys are very important. The game plays very fluent so far and is pretty fast paced. The only thing that slows you down is the UI and creature mangement. You should at least be able to summon the Research screen with a hot key, put Creatures in groups easier and gather them really quick. I Think that would be a really noce improvement
You can bring the Sins panel with the space bar. And the grouping system is a work in progress, I also hope that it will get improved since currently is too inefficient to bother with it most of the time.

Last edited:

Rakliar

Dwarven Worker
Mar 10, 2015
You can bring the Sins panel with the space bar. And the grouping system is a work in progress, I also hope that it will get improved since currently is too inefficient to bother with it most of the time.
Oh i didnt know about the Sin Panel. But also using Spells by Hotkeys would be so GREAT :D. hope the work on that too.

Hobbes

Dwarven Worker
Feb 12, 2015
Here's to hoping they understand the importance of this before release.. They took out the time to make the cursor 3d but not work on functional UI... Frustrating. bump.

Top Bottom