1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Unclaimable Neutral Tiles

Discussion in 'Post 1.1 Archive' started by Roysten, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

Windows 10
    64 Bit
    8GB Ram
    Intel i5 3GHz Quad Core
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB

1.3.1f

Hi Guys

Firstly, just want to say that I'm loving the Map-Editor, I've tried my hand at FFA, Co-op and 1-Player maps and am enjoying getting creative with a gamer like this again. Looking forward to watching the editor evolve and the maps that people publish.

One issue I've noticed in a couple of the levels I've created (specifically my Life Isn't Fair and A Call to Arms) is that certain enemy tiles (often ones that have been doors), become "Neutral" rather than "Empire" and when my workers go to claim them they just stand there and their activity flickers between "Idle" and "Claiming". Also workers on these tiles seem to dump their gold after a few seconds.

I have found that to fix this you can build an earth tile then dig it through again, thus making the tile claimable again.

2. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

Yeah, I had the same problem on the "Mistle" remake, and I also came up with the same solution. :)

3. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

Great minds think alike! I'm glad it isn't just a design issue in my maps then.

4. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

Hello guys,
    can you explain exact steps to reproduce?
    In best case how we can create a minimal map where the issue occurs and how it is triggered?
    This would help a lot.

Btw. please use our new bug tracker in future:
    https://brightrockgames.userecho.com/
    This subforum just exists for legacy bug reports.

5. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

Hm. What is legacy bug reports, and when did you start using that? I can't find this information easily accessible..

It is hard to reproduce this, at this seems to happened at random times. The only thing that happened in my case was that there was a neutral wooden door on a neutral tile, and when it was destroyed, the tile was unclaimable, but the workers still tried to claim it.

6. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

When you click on "Bug Reports" in the forum it will navigate you to the bug tracker.
    The old bug report forums has been moved to "Bug Reports Legacy", so you can only reach it by reading "Bug Reports Legacy" below "Bug Reports" which links to the new bug tracker.
    I don't think it was explicitely mentioned in a newspost.

So you say if I place lots of neutral doors on a map I will likely encounter the problem after destroying them?

7. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

Hi V0id

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Regarding the bug; I've had a similar experience to Reyhl with tiles that have held Empire doors. Also I have found that this occurs on tiles that have had Empire walls that have been destroyed by Underminers. Tiles that have held Bombards have also had this neutral tile error occur on them as well.

v0id likes this.
  8. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

No need to tell me that now, I just thought it was a bit unclear. :) Although, the "Bug Reports Legacy" shouldn't be on the main forum page, and it's name should have "(Archive)" behind it. And also..disable posting there as well.. :p

Anyhow..I've done some testing, and sadly I haven't found out why this behavior happens. But I've found out that these tiles that this happens on, are already claimed, but it does not loose it status as neutral. That means that the workers still think they have to claim it, even though they can't. This seems to happen randomly, and it haven't (so far) happened when the door have been destroyed by Annex.

Attached Files:

9. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

This looks really strange, I haven't seen this yet.
    If owner is neutral the tile shouldn't be claimed at all.
    Do you think placing lots of empire doors and destroying nearby walls by underminers would trigger the issue?

10. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

No, destroying walls in any form did not trigger this issue in my case. But there were neutral doors on them, with a neutral tile, and with two neutral walls.

If I am going guess where the problem might be, then it would have to be about in what order things get claimed. In my case, a lair gets claimed first, then the tiles on the opposite side door (from the lair) gets claimed, and at last, the door is destroyed and it's tile gets claimed.

11. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

In my reproducible example here; two tiles that are surrounded by Empire owned wall and Neutral lava have a bombard and rampart on them. I never seem to have both tiles becoming Neutral, only one, and it changes too from time to time. It appears that the second tile to be claimed is the one that becomes "Neutral" and unclaimable.

I watched it in action, the worker starts to claim it as normal, then when it would normall become dirt it becomes the claimed Neutral tile. The imps action then alternates between "claiming" and "idle" and it won't move to the spot.
    2.jpg 3.jpg 1.jpg

Is it possible to upload saved files? As I have a saved file right just before the point that you can encounter these tiles.

12. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

Yes it is possible to share save files and i guess this would make it even simpler for us.

To retrieve and upload your save game, go to your steam installation and find the following subfolder:
    <Steam Installation Directory>\Steam\userdata\<your steam user ID>\230190\remote

This folder contains all your save games, pick the one which starts with the level name you saved and with the modify date when you saved the game.
    A save game consists of two files, one which contains meta information with ending .meta and one which contains the saved level without ending.
    Pick both files and attach them to your reply.
    Not sure if the forum might block the save file because of the ending, in that case please put both files into a zip.

Thanks a lot for helping

13. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

I've been having trouble uploading the files.

It may have worked now, I changed the file extensions to bitmap and then compressed them. Hopefully this will work.

Attached Files:

14. v0id

v0id Programmer Dev Team

Hello Roysten,
    what you did upload is a zip containing two bitmap files (.bmp) not save files.
    What ever these are they are not a save game.
    I need two files from the said folder with same name, one ends with .meta and one has no ending.

Thanks again :)

15. Roysten

Roysten Disciple

Hi V0id.

They are files from the file directory that you specified, one had a *.meta extension and the other had an unknown extension. I changed them both to *.bmp because the site wouldn't let me upload the original files.