• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Underlord Creature] Men of the Lantern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2013
Description
Recruited from a similar stock as the cultists, the Men of the Lantern find normal combat with magicks or swords trivial and boring. Instead, they enchant themselves and their lanterns with misdirecting spells, enabling them to fight as something completely different than the run-of-the-mill mage or swordsman.

Key Stats
Highlight: Mysterious buffer/debuffer.
Faction: Underlord
Type: Intelligent
Role: Support Caster.
Acquired By: Archive, torture chamber
Basic Attack: Medium Dark
Offensive Power: Medium
Defensive Power: Below-average
Resistances: Average vs All
Movement: Medium
Work: Archive, torture chamber.
Entertainment: Torture, Research
Special Needs: Nothing special.
Upgrades: Nothing special.
Traits
Trait Name: Light the Way. All creatures in the vicinity of a Man of the Lantern is given a 50% resistance to blinds, silences and immobilizes.
Trait Name: Magical Presence. All spells cast in the vicinity of a Man of the Lantern costs 10% less mana.
Abilities
Ability Name: Shine a Light. (Level 1) The Man of the Lantern increases the light radiating from his lantern on a particular enemy, giving all allies a 25% damage increase on that target.
Ability Name: Set alight. (Level 4) The Man of the Lantern tosses his lantern forward, leaving a trail of green fire after it, damaging all who step on it with above-average fire damage.
Ability Name: In the Dark (Level 6) The Man of the Lantern drains light from the area and stores it in his lantern, causing all opponents in the area to have a 15% chance to miss their attacks entirely. After 10 seconds, the light is released, dealing moderate light damage to anyone in the area of effect.
Flavour
Appearance: Taller cultists, wrapped in similar robes but with bits of ragged plate armor added to it. Carries a large lantern in one hand and a curved dagger in the other. Covers their faces with masks.
Dislikes: Being attacked directly.
Behaviour: Prefers research.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I really like this one. Perhaps give it an increased ability to detect hidden creatures (not traps)

Also creatures associated with shadow should hate them!!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I also find it interesting, perhaps because they are so close to Cultists I find it unlikly BUT imagine differant veigns of evil upgrading your cultists into differant creatures with differant abilities.

Like this support caster for one, A blood knight for another and maybe a necromancer for a 3rd giving keepers the choice to pick what they like best, anways good idea on them it was a nice read!

Jan 7, 2012
This one is really good, especially the skills and lantern theme.
They could draw a special shadow or lack one, to underline their affinity with light. Anyway they would look awesome in the darker corners of the underworld.

Jan 7, 2013
Pretty much. Lanterns and the men who carry them are fairly popular in fantasy, so I'm not exactly claiming copyright. But this is my own iteration on the formula.
This one is really good, especially the skills and lantern theme.
They could draw a special shadow or lack one, to underline their affinity with light. Anyway they would look awesome in the darker corners of the underworld.
Lacking one would look weird I think. Better to just have a slightly changed one. Maybe one that morphs around a bit if they're standing idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom