• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Underlord Creature] Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
Greetings fellow UNderlords, this is my first suggestion, hope it meets with approval. The Wight is a rare and powerful undead front-line combat unit that has a low chance to spawn when a heavilly armored underlord creature dies in a prison or it's corpse is sent to the Crypt.
Faction: Underlord
Type: Other
Role: Melee Fighter and Blocker/Tank
Basic Attack: Sword
Acquired By: A chance to be created when an Intelligent evil humanoid with a high armor rating dies in the Prison or is conferred to the Crypt.
Health: High
Armor: Very-High
Offensive Power: Moderate
Attack speed: Moderate
Movement Speed: Slow
Intelligence: Average
Construction: Low ( unable to manufacture)
Training Rate: Medium
Training Cost: Medium
Wage: High
Food: None (possibly Mana)
Weaknesses/Resistances
Resistances:
Poison, Darkness/Shadow
Weaknesses: Acid, Light/Holy.
Work: Combat, Sentry
Entertainment: Combat, Observing Combat, Sentry Duty.
Special Needs: None (possibly Mana)
Upgrades: N/A

Traits

Undead: As an undead creature, the creature knows no fear and has a supernatural aura of fear around it, and causes more fear than normal for a creature it's size. Undead take +25% damage from Holy/Light/Positive based attacks and is healed by Negative Energy attacks.
Wight Armor: The creatures armor is empowered with supernatural energy, and decreases the amount of magical damage it receives by 10%. this bonus is increased to 20% if it is repeatedly hit by the same spell in succession. Holy/Light/Positive based attacks bypass this defense.
Unfeeling: Like most undead creatures, this creature has no nervous system, vital organs or soft spots to take advantage of, this makes a critical strike less useful against such a creature, conferring a bonus to it's protection against being critically hit. The chance any enemies have to critically hit the creature are reduced. Light/Holy based attacks ignore this defense.

Abilities

Wight Blade: [Utility] The Wight's blade passively consumes a portion of it's target's life-force and confers it to the Wight. The Wight is healed for 5% of all damage dealt with regular melee attacks against all living targets. [Passive]
Ghost Strike: The Wight can activate the powerful supernatural energy within it's blade, dealing Magic/Negative Energy damage while ignoring 20% of the target's armor when it strikes. [Cooldown - Moderate] [Level 4]
Undying Command: [Utility] The Wight takes command of the battle, conferring a defensive bonus on all friendly creatures in a small radius around him. All creatures within a few tiles around the Wight take 10% less damage from melee attacks. This ability stacks with one other instance of Undying Command up to a maximum bonus of 20% reduced melee damage. [Passive] [Level 6]

Wrath Wave: The Wight unleashes a wave of malign energy from it's blade, the accumulated anguish of his recent slain foes. This attack deals a moderate amount of Magical/Negtative Energy damage in a slashing motion in front of it, with a chance to cause each target caught within it to either flee or cower on the spot for a few seconds. [Cooldown - Long] [Level 8]
Undying Will: Such is the Wight's desire to keep fighting, it channels all of the power from it's Wight blade into it's armor and body so it can continue to fight. When this ability is activated, the damage from the next incoming attack is reduced to 0, and all incoming damage is reduced by 50% for the next 12 seconds afterwards. While this ability is active, the Wight cannot use it's Ghost Strike or Wrath Wave abilities. [Cooldown - Very Long] [Level 10]​

Flavour

Appearance: A skeletal humanoid wearing ornate armor and wielding a cruel weapon which glows with supernatural power.
Lore: Wight's are rare and powerful undead warrior's which come into being when a particularly evil, powerful and strong willed warrior dies, such is their desire to continue fighting or to rule, that their spirits refuse to leave the plane of the living, and bind themselves to their armor. Usually a Wight is created from a stock of Evil Warlords and Warrior Kings, but sometimes an evil warrior made of the right stuff may become a Wight upon their death if their will is strong, regardless of their station and heritage. Wight's retain their memories of their lives, which is usually why they are so arrogant and vengeful. Wight Armor and Weapons are much sought after, but are rare and difficult to obtain, due to the fact that Wight's are a rarity and that you must destroy the Wight to relinquish it of it's equipment.
Lair: As sentient undead, Wight's prefer to have a lair, usually in the form of a throne made of Bone and sometimes other valuable items such as jewels and valuable statues and curio's important to the Wight in their past life.
Likes: Training, Watching combat, Sentry Duty, Watching Prisoners.
Dislikes: Inquisitors, Knights, Paladins and other holy figures of the light.​

Last edited:

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
No, the first two are from Games Workshop, the third from an unknown source. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not.

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
Anyone got any comments on the creature itself? Good? Bad? Too powerful? Interesting idea's?

I'm thinking the Undead and Unfeeling Traits could be used(possibly tweaked) on other Undead creatures, but maybe some drawbacks would be in order.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Anyone got any comments on the creature itself? Good? Bad? Too powerful? Interesting idea's?

I'm thinking the Undead and Unfeeling Traits could be used(possibly tweaked) on other Undead creatures, but maybe some drawbacks would be in order.
Well I like it.. A LOT!

I like this idea helps stop us having to many Human creatures as we got cultists/Alchemists and none to sure about the Necromancer but an Undead in armour is fine with me.

None to sure about the unfeeling trait though as there are other undead in the game and as they are all undead they would also need that ability to make sense but Wight armour is still pretty good with damage reduction so it is no loss and I like that it has a natural weakness to light magic though against say other players I wonder if there will be any light spells or creatures to use to kill peoples undead.

Also soul rend does not fit the theme of a warrior undead as it seems more like a debuff that support creatures would actively use to remove troublesome enemies out of the fight for a while imo.

I really like the undying will ability, really fits the theme of a powerful undead that just will not die and keeps fighting it out but is none to overpowered as it could be negated by being hit with a weak attack that wastes the invulnerability and 6 seconds is not that long if we consider 50% damage reduction for the cost of a very long cooldown.

I love the tanky and fairly high damage this does as a high tier unit and the abilities are well thought out and reasonable, as for the Undead trait does this mean the Wight has like a fear aura that weak willed creatures flee from like say DK2 flanker creatures or did I misunderstand it?

All in all a great job dude, been hoping for any kind of spikey armoured evil minion and the Wight would fit great.

Chameon

Oculus
WFTO Founder
Jan 12, 2013
Parts Unknown
Alright, I like the sounds of it. Going to come flat out and say it. I don't have ANY idea of how its' balance would work, because OP in tactics games tends to be based on combinations where tanks are involved. I will say that, if 'basing' doesn't stop ranged units from firing out of melee, they might tend towards being ignored in favor of other, more easily killed units, but, that's eloquently dealt with with that nice little aura, making him more of a target. He feels like a good opposite to the juggernaut.....

That brings me to the mental problems that came up, WITH the juggernaut actually....Let's presume these two are gained at the same time, for roughly the same cost. Let's presume the AI is super-advanced and plays at roughly player level (probably will play at my level, honestly. I am AWFUL at strategy games until about three months in). He -is- tougher then the Juggernaut, at basic, looking at his abilities. Holy/light won't be used too much in PVP, but I imagine the 'holy empire' will utilize it quite a bit in their campaign. But, ignoring that! Let's get to where the actual problem is. The Juggernaut is, on the battle field, a very basic, very solid threat. He has three separate abilities that can harm people and turn the tides of battle. He has Charge, Pulverize, and Shockwave. Charge deals okay damage (moderate) with some knockback in a line. Pulverize deals large damage, and taunts a single target. Shockwave is an AoE taunt. Now, I do NOT know if magic resist is going to be a common or a big thing in this game, I have NOT played Dungeon Keeper. If Magic Resist -is- a big thing, however, the Soul Rend is only good for kiting (which is a GOOD thing, seriously, you don't want a PERFECT clone). However, at the same time, he comes out with less real major threats, as a tank, then the Juggernaut does. So, let's see how that can be fixed. Another active ability, a stomp of his own, perhaps releasing inner turmoil or something to cause mass despair or equivalent and reduce enemy attack damage might work (Although if they stack, that would make a squad of these things unbelievably horrifying). Another option would be to add another passive, something chilling to the bone (Kill X creatures, gain one free revive?) might be interesting. These things CAN'T be constructed after all, so making a level 10 one have a backup plan might be interesting, recurring horror and whatnot.

As-is, currently, as a tank, it doesn't beat a juggernaut. If it's supposed to be a bruiser (which it PROBABLY is) that is hard to kill, I have nothing to compare it to, and it's probably fine. That said, I highly appreciate (even though I know the temptation) that you didn't limit yourself to LotR references with the Wight, and that it does not in fact have an obsessive love with golden rings and knickknacks, and, additionally, it's not just a cold aura.

...When I started typing this post, I had three sentences. Durnit, now you made me think.
Source Cited, may be inaccurate: http://warfortheoverworld.wikia.com/wiki/WFTO_Unit_Spotlight_3:_The_Juggernaut

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
I've made a few changes to the Wight. I want more than one of it's abilities to involve it's blade, since the Wight Blade is a major part of the creatures lore. I was under the impression that creatures should only have 3 abilities and a utility, but the Juggernaut has 5 abilities PLUS a Utility, so I'd add more abilities and balance out the others if it would be acceptable. Lastly, the Wight was not meant to be a "Dedicated Tank" more like an armored commander who just so happens to be tough.

EDIT - Btw, I forgot to mention earlier, but with the "supernatural Aura of Fear" I don't mean the creature makes things run away from it, I just mean it generates more fear because of it's undead status. Assuming fear is like it was in DK2, all creatures produce a fear rating, which adds together to decide weather enemies run in fear. Undead/Wights could generate more fear than normal because of a palpable aura of negative, undead energy.

EDIT - Someone mentioned earlier how only Heroes/The Empire are likely to use Light/Holy Magic, which got me thinking, what if Underlords were able to use a "Perverted" version of Light/Positive Energy magic for use on Undead.

This would work better if WFtOW used an "Elemental planes" thing, where positive and negative energy exist as neutral elements that can be used by anyone. "Holy" and "Unholy" energy would still exist as divine energies, however.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I've made a few changes to the Wight. I want more than one of it's abilities to involve it's blade, since the Wight Blade is a major part of the creatures lore. I was under the impression that creatures should only have 3 abilities and a utility, but the Juggernaut has 5 abilities PLUS a Utility, so I'd add more abilities and balance out the others if it would be acceptable. Lastly, the Wight was not meant to be a "Dedicated Tank" more like an armored commander who just so happens to be tough.

EDIT - Btw, I forgot to mention earlier, but with the "supernatural Aura of Fear" I don't mean the creature makes things run away from it, I just mean it generates more fear because of it's undead status. Assuming fear is like it was in DK2, all creatures produce a fear rating, which adds together to decide weather enemies run in fear. Undead/Wights could generate more fear than normal because of a palpable aura of negative, undead energy.

EDIT - Someone mentioned earlier how only Heroes/The Empire are likely to use Light/Holy Magic, which got me thinking, what if Underlords were able to use a "Perverted" version of Light/Positive Energy magic for use on Undead.

This would work better if WFtOW used an "Elemental planes" thing, where positive and negative energy exist as neutral elements that can be used by anyone. "Holy" and "Unholy" energy would still exist as divine energies, however.
Okay read the redone version and it is better and really good, not much to say really as you kept the best bits and altered the bits I personally felt out of place and really improved them, I also noted the light problem vs other keepers but I always viewed Undrelords and evil overlords in general as evil yet pragmatic so stolen light spells or a perverted corruption of holy light or a evil light wielding creature (think evil knights templat/paladin or something along those lines) could be possible.

I really like Unholy command and the idea of strong willed undead, really gives the appearence of a dangerous minion who takes charge and leads the way putting backbone into your more cowardly and numerous minions and would make him an obvious target for enemy spells and strong creatures.

Good job here, hope the Devs take note of it and at least pick a few of the ideas from it as it is a good concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom