• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New Units cannot walk through tiles occupied by Rampart

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
That defeats the object of putting ramparts on defences that are supposed to be put in corridors, it also defeats the object of using ramparts as barricades if your workers are intent on building them in order of closest to the foundry first, but once that one is built, they cannot build any further away, it also causes path-finding problems etc when your units are trapped outside. if enemy and freinedly units are not supposed to be able to get through them I feel like at the very least, workers should be able to.

also I am not sure if you intended your post as a rude pun, but if you did, bravo.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
That defeats the object of putting ramparts on defences that are supposed to be put in corridors, it also defeats the object of using ramparts as barricades if your workers are intent on building them in order of closest to the foundry first, but once that one is built, they cannot build any further away, it also causes path-finding problems etc when your units are trapped outside. if enemy and freinedly units are not supposed to be able to get through them I feel like at the very least, workers should be able to.

also I am not sure if you intended your post as a rude pun, but if you did, bravo.
I thought the rampart would then be used to reinforce those traps you put in somewhere, off to the side, apart from the main passage, like, remember these rows upon rows of cannons you'd build in DK2? I'm sure everyone did that. :p
You just don't put ramparts in a corridor, but off to the side, plain and simple.

Yes that was intended. :3

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I thought the rampart would then be used to reinforce those traps you put in somewhere, off to the side, apart from the main passage, like, remember these rows upon rows of cannons you'd build in DK2? I'm sure everyone did that. :p
You just don't put ramparts in a corridor, but off to the side, plain and simple.

Yes that was intended. :3
Pretty much this. Using a rampart needs to be a conscious choice instead of something you just put on every defence.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Pretty much this. Using a rampart needs to be a conscious choice instead of something you just put on every defence.
Ok, that makes sense, perhaps later, when placing ramparts, there could be a "This defence will block passage, are you sure you want to place it here? (tick here if you do not want to be asked again [ ])" dialogue box.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Ok, that makes sense, perhaps later, when placing ramparts, there could be a "This defence will block passage, are you sure you want to place it here? (tick here if you do not want to be asked again [ ])" dialogue box.
Or maybe it'd be better if it was explained in the tutorial when you get it, as well as in the tooltip. A popup for this purpose seems... really wonky.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
wonky perhaps, but some people skip the tutorial and explaining it might be a bit wordy for a tooltip. also implementing it into a tutorial/guided campaign level is quite a long way down the road presumably, a pop up would be a nice quick and easy stop-gap solution. as has proved here, it is not obvious that this is intended.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
I... just don't like the idea of something popping up in my face, telling me "hey this is how this one object in the game works". Like, should there be a popup for the Crypt saying "warning, you can burn creatures by putting them directly onto the pyre"?

I don't know, man. Just put it into the item description. This just seems very... "caution: hot coffee is hot".

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I... just don't like the idea of something popping up in my face, telling me "hey this is how this one object in the game works". Like, should there be a popup for the Crypt saying "warning, you can burn creatures by putting them directly onto the pyre"?

I don't know, man. Just put it into the item description. This just seems very... "caution: hot coffee is hot".
This is the 21st century where if coffee doesn't say that it is hot, and they burn their mouth on it, they complain, it's best to preempt that to keep people happy imho.

To be honest, until there is a decent tutorial, why not have a pop-up describing how each room works the first time you build it? it would simultaneously reduce the amount of people not understanding how things work, reduce the need to expand the tutorial, and make it easier for people who have been asking for subtitles because they aren't proficient enough in English to understand Richard Riding's narration in the tutorial.

As I said, of course make it so you can choose not to see the popup again, after you have built everything once you'd never have to worry about it. maybe have an option to disable them all in the pause menu, you'd never even have to see them.

theMarg0r

Dryad
Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
As I said, of course make it so you can choose not to see the popup again, after you have built everything once you'd never have to worry about it. maybe have an option to disable them all in the pause menu, you'd never even have to see them.
Oh okay. As long as there's a "don't show tutorial popups" checkbox in the menu, I can actually agree to this. I'm not gonna click every single popup away. :)

Top Bottom