• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Visuals

Well, I've been wondering what the aim is as far as visuals go. Concept art is nice, but it can only tell so much; from what I'm seeing the aim is to go towards a more gritty feel - which makes sense as I get that a lot of people were unhappy with the atmosphere created by caricature visuals (DKII).

Also, gore, I was relishing in the idea of blood soaked corridors in my mind. I'm not talking dismembered limbs or anything, just lots of blood and blood stains on the walls and floor. Excess gore fits really well with almost any visual theme including caricature, and with grittier themes it adds some relief from the game feeling too-serious about itself.

Let me know what direction you think STG should head in!

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
From what I have heard thus far I don't think there is going to be excess gore in this game although I would love to see decapitation finishing moves and limb's lopped off as well as bodies exploding lots of brain and eye juice splattered here and there entrails everywhere I'm talking the kinda blood and guts horror visuals that would put God of War to shame! o_O:confused::confused::confused:

Aaaaah a man can dream :D:D:D

Roald

Blood Imp
Dec 2, 2011
From what I have heard thus far I don't think there is going to be excess gore in this game although I would love to see decapitation finishing moves and limb's lopped off as well as bodies exploding lots of brain and eye juice splattered here and there entrails everywhere I'm talking the kinda blood and guts horror visuals that would put God of War to shame! o_O:confused::confused::confused:

Aaaaah a man can dream :D:D:D
Thats what i am talking about!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
The problem with gore is that it relies on unit fatalities, which don't exactly work with the knockout system. Blood splats, etc, are a possibility though.

Edit: hire > gore. iPhone autocorrect ftl.

The problem with hire is that it relies on unit fatalities, which don't exactly work with the knockout system. Blood splats, etc, are a possibility though.
(What do you mean by hire? lol jk, I know it's a typo of gore)
Yeah, this is what I was talking about, I wasn't talking about limbs an entrails just OTT blood splats. Though it's plausible you could have surgical grade limb removal on moves which kill the opponent -- like DKI did with the explosive moves when they killed opponents, they turned them into mince meat.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Yeah I meant gore sorry, damn iPhone autocorrect!

If we have any fatality in combat, there will for sure be gore. It's going to depend on how we end up designing it, and how worthwhile some of the post-combat systems end up being.

Nov 15, 2011
im like praying to the evil gods right now...

it would be so cool being in the middle of a fight and all of a sudden! SRRRRT!! a bolt of lightning explodes the enemies corpse and blood just blows out the ass!!! i mean out the body!! EXPLOOOODE!!!!!

that shit right there would be awesome as hell!!

of course, this would only be with higher level attacks... :D

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
im like praying to the evil gods right now...

it would be so cool being in the middle of a fight and all of a sudden! SRRRRT!! a bolt of lightning explodes the enemies corpse and blood just blows out the ass!!! i mean out the body!! EXPLOOOODE!!!!!

that shit right there would be awesome as hell!!

of course, this would only be with higher level attacks... :D
You've been watching the WalmartSouth park episode huh?;) Lol Instead of crap it's blood

I reckon that creatures should have fatalities and gruesome finishing moves but here is how I would institute it into the game::

A creature would only be capable of executing a fatality move on an opponent killing them outright if the opponent is of an equal or lower level then the creature.

^------ This fatality move would only have a 1 in 10 chance of happening

It would not be possible for a creature of a higher level to be killed by a creature of a lower level only knocked out, unless you activated carnage mode in which anything goes and everything dies.

I would also make the fatality move a selectable option in the game that can be deactivated in the menu for those keepers who don't want to see their creatures brutally dispatched without the possibility of return. Also I would add a carnage option that would make fatality moves happen all the time and every combat encounter would result in bloody death and carnage for those more hardcore keepers willing to risk the lives of their pets. <------ This last option would make the game somewhat harder as if your level 8-10 creature is killed he's killed for good and you will have to get a new one and retrain him back up to that level, of course this would make you appreciate and value your more high level creatures.

I know not everyone is going to like this idea of creatures being killed in battle but I did mention it would be a rare occurrence unless you went for the carnage option in the menu, or simply not have the option all together so creatures only get knocked out but I still think it should be in the game because most of us would use it :D

Roald

Blood Imp
Dec 2, 2011
Yeah I meant gore sorry, damn iPhone autocorrect!

If we have any fatality in combat, there will for sure be gore. It's going to depend on how we end up designing it, and how worthwhile some of the post-combat systems end up being.
lol i know what you mean IAC (iphone autocorrect) is a disease luckilly i found a cure.
you can turn it off in option atleast, thats what i did its so godamn annoying!

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Not trying to seem rude or anything, but can you take this to a different topic? This isn't a discussion about fatality mechanics it's about visuals/graphics. Thanks. :)
Not to be rude myself but fatalities and blood can be considered visual effects genius o_O oh yeah and you stated in your question up top^ *Also, gore, I was relishing in the idea of blood soaked corridors in my mind. I'm not talking dismembered limbs or anything, just lots of blood and blood stains on the walls and floor. Excess gore fits really well with almost any visual theme including caricature, and with grittier themes it adds some relief from the game feeling too-serious about itself* :rolleyes: so ah yeah all I did was deliberate what you said then get into the whole blood&guts idea comprehensively with my idea's besides YOU started the discussion on it and on a further point if you read every body else's posts on here it's been about gore and blood <---- fatalities fit into that.;)

Anyway I understand your point you want to know if this game is gonna look more like Crysis or more like Minecraft ;) I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this game will end up being somewhere in-between those 2 games in terms of graphics, of course leaning more towards the Crysis side of the scale ....... I hope, then again I haven't been playing Dungeon Keeper 2 for the past 12 years because it has great graphics.

Master the game-play before the graphics would be my mantra if I were a game developer, Did any of you ever play doom 3? that game was a prime example of how graphics really don't mean much in the long run I mean think about it your best gaming experiences were with games that made you think and feel something but most of all that you had FUN playing, it was DK's gameplay and mechanics that hooked us not the visuals. Although new visuals would be nice:D and judging from the previous character designs they had up on the original WFTO website you can be safe in the knowledge that the graphics are going to be a big leap forward from DK2.

I have no problem with people discussing how fatalities might look, the problem was going into the mechanics of how they work from a gameplay point of view. Also, my spectrum was more on the lines of "next gen" DK1 or "next gen" DK2. My hope was, the game would take itself seriously on a visual standpoint, but less so in other aspects.

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
Well, I personally would like to see a healthy mixture of realism and humor. Because I really can't stand anything too dark and gritty. Yeah, I know that's a little lame, but I'm more light than dark. o_O

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Maybe different effects can be applied depending on whether you are playing evil or good? Your perception of the environment/space changes to match your outlook and ideological standpoint.

Maybe different effects can be applied depending on whether you are playing evil or good? Your perception of the environment/space changes to match your outlook and ideological standpoint.
That could be confusing, plus, if you were playing good, everything keeper related would have to more evil. As you wouldn't see the good in evil beings from hell and such...

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Not really. Evil is evil. It generally knows its evil and generally has no delusions about how evil it is, in this sense anyway. Heroes have that tendency to see good in everything, though remember? Even when it isn't there. Despite that I wasn't actually refering to creatures, as such.

I was refering to physical environment. The colour of ambient light might have a more rich orange/red tint for evil and a purer white tint for good. Blood splatters might be less prominent to the displays of hero players, without the ascociated "bloodlust" of evil. Music soundtracks could have two variants, good and evil, adapted slightly to change the mood of the player.

Not really. Evil is evil. It generally knows its evil and generally has no delusions about how evil it is, in this sense anyway. Heroes have that tendency to see good in everything, though remember? Even when it isn't there. Despite that I wasn't actually refering to creatures, as such.

I was refering to physical environment. The colour of ambient light might have a more rich orange/red tint for evil and a purer white tint for good. Blood splatters might be less prominent to the displays of hero players, without the ascociated "bloodlust" of evil. Music soundtracks could have two variants, good and evil, adapted slightly to change the mood of the player.
Perhaps this would work better as an ambient theme surrounding the territory of the evil/good player. Where evil would be darker Dungeons, maybe with mossy stone walls, red (or other evil colou like purple or green) ambient lighting. Good would have pristine, perfectly formed walls with no taint, and a white ambient light.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Gore sounds excellent in its own way but I think we should be careful not to get carried away to the point where this game looses most of its twisted humor in a massive blood bath.
What kind of age group are we looking at as well 18+ lol ? Successful games generally can be played by large age groups. I would never let a young child play Dungeon Keeper lol.
What im saying is there should be enough gore to entertain the tainted minded (us), but not so much over sensitive mothers will get all paranoid over and try ban everywhere lol. The humor in dungeon keeper is what tamed it for these over sensitive people and reminded us over and over that this is a game and not a simulator bent on 101 ways to brutally put blood everywhere. :p

Top Bottom