• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

War for the Overworld: A Year in Retrospect

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
How to access Bedrock Beta v0.1.0
  1. Open your Steam Library
  2. Right click on War for the Overworld Bedrock Beta and go to 'Properties'
  3. Go to the 'Betas' tab and type in alongtimeago
  4. Click 'Check Code' (do not hit enter)
  5. Select 'timemachine - Bedrock Beta v0.1.0' from the dropdown box
  6. Restart your Steam client or go to the 'Local Files' tab and click 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache' to force the game to patch
  7. Don't forget to switch back to 'NONE - Opt out of all beta programs' when you are done!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
That was very fun read :) Really looking forward to tomorrows overview of WFTOs future, and the sneak peak of the new interface Wednesday. Best of Wishes to the WFTO development team! :D

hawkknight88

Templar
WFTO Founder
Oct 31, 2012
United States
Good read. This is something you folks shouldn't feel bad about. It sucks to pull a feature, but it's probably the most common "mistake" smaller/new companies make. You want to deliver this AWESOME, FULLY FEATURED product but you quickly realize "holy crap that will take forever." No game is perfect, but I love what I see so far.

Thanks!

Jan 3, 2013
We take few steps back before a long jump.

Well done sir, never forget the past especially if it was full of fun.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Good work Simburgur, you've made me even more depressed to have missed the group photo :(

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
Wait..... there's not going to be mod support? I was really looking forward to mods.... i hope it will eventually be added.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Wait..... there's not going to be mod support? I was really looking forward to mods.... i hope it will eventually be added.
I'm sure we'll still end up seeing quite a few mods, they just won't be as easy to make. As long as there's a map editing and scenario creation tool I think most people will be satisfied and the hardcore modders will still get some interesting things done. I'm still hoping someone managed to make mods that effectively remake the DK games.

Jan 7, 2012
Its nice to hear that you still managed to keep this project alife against the odds, I really hope youll end up with some profit when the game is done, for it must be a harsh decision to quit your job. Thanks : )

Drawing the characters has been a blast! Thank you all for your feedback too. Some you like, some you hate. It will be exciting to finally play the final version and see all characters in game.
Will we get a pdf with all your doodles and rough concepts when the game is done?
It would be nice to see how the different units formed together and how some design choices like the changed augre and cultist were worked out.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
It would be nice to see how the different units formed together and how some design choices like the changed augre and cultist were worked out.
I accidentally clicked 'like' instead of 'reply'. Sod it, have a like!

Anyway, in reaction to the above: wasn't there an art booklet included in one of the Kickstarter tiers? I'm assuming that's where we'd see most of the concepts turn up again.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
I accidentally clicked 'like' instead of 'reply'. Sod it, have a like!

Anyway, in reaction to the above: wasn't there an art booklet included in one of the Kickstarter tiers? I'm assuming that's where we'd see most of the concepts turn up again.

you mean:
the dungeoneers guide to the underworld

i wonder what will be in it actually :p

Reyh!

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 9, 2012
Norway
Nice, thanks for the honesty, now i like you even more. :) I never knew you had such problems in the beginning, it made me kinda sad reading that, but i'm glad you managed to get your feet back on track. I applaud you for that, great job!

Yeah, i agree that you have been promising more than you should have. But there is one thing that is certain, things never go according to the plan. ;)

Dec 23, 2012
Wait, when was it announced that the expansive modding tool will be dropped?
I've been following and supporting the project from the original forums, but as much as I want to join the choir and say that it's all the same to me, I'm also a backer; don't get me wrong, I love absolutely everything you've done and shown so far and I can't wait to play this in full - but I have to ask some questions. Please don't take this the wrong way, it's not a burning issue, but it's a surprise for me so I wanted to get a clearer picture of the matter.

1. When was this change announced? I don't remember getting anything about this as kickstarter update. I could be mistaken, of course, but this is the first that I've heard of this. Was this during one of the live streams (of which I doubt all backers have followed)?

2. I'll point out the obvious: the extensive modding capabilities weren't just a little feature - they were a very large promise of the campaign, and one of the first updates made while it was still gaining momentum; this surely contributed to many backers' decision to support the campaign, and to me personally is a big disappointment. The promise of having relatively easy capacity for modding in features beyond scenarios and levels, meant that the game will stay fresh and have a long and interesting shelf life, gathered around continuous community-driven content.
Considering this, and as things stand, do you have any substantial plans to work on it again in the future (even post-release) and eventually make it work, or has it been abandoned entirely (for instance if it simply won't fit the current newly-written framework)?

3. Could this be circumvented and some of the anticipated features achieved through some other means by a devoted-enough modder (meaning without the Dungeoneer)?

4. Even without it, will *any* modding be available (such as campaign levels, multiplayer maps and so on)?

5. If external game assets (game modes, models etc.) can't be directly added by players, do you plan on adding such content to the game later instead, after its inevitable success?

Thanks for the understanding and giving backers a place to address you freely. The game so far looks [email protected]#%ing beautiful, and it feels so much like the originals that it made me reinstall and finish DK1 all over again. Considering the disgusting "Dungeon Keeper mobile" and TotalBuiscit's new video praising WFtO, and the rise in popularity of the early access on Steam, I have no doubt this will end up an amazing successor. And thanks for this year of hard work!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Wait, when was it announced that the expansive modding tool will be dropped?
I've been following and supporting the project from the original forums, but as much as I want to join the choir and say that it's all the same to me, I'm also a backer; don't get me wrong, I love absolutely everything you've done and shown so far and I can't wait to play this in full - but I have to ask some questions. Please don't take this the wrong way, it's not a burning issue, but it's a surprise for me so I wanted to get a clearer picture of the matter.

1. When was this change announced? I don't remember getting anything about this as kickstarter update. I could be mistaken, of course, but this is the first that I've heard of this. Was this during one of the live streams (of which I doubt all backers have followed)?
It was never truly 'announced', just mentioned here and there on forums and in the streams. We didn't want to have a big discussion about it until we knew the answer to the obvious "but how far will you take modding now?" question, and even though we still don't have an answer, it had been too long and we simply just needed to talk about it.

2. I'll point out the obvious: the extensive modding capabilities weren't just a little feature - they were a very large promise of the campaign, and one of the first updates made while it was still gaining momentum; this surely contributed to many backers' decision to support the campaign, and to me personally is a big disappointment. The promise of having relatively easy capacity for modding in features beyond scenarios and levels, meant that the game will stay fresh and have a long and interesting shelf life, gathered around continuous community-driven content.
Considering this, and as things stand, do you have any substantial plans to work on it again in the future (even post-release) and eventually make it work, or has it been abandoned entirely (for instance if it simply won't fit the current newly-written framework)?
The tool we detailed in that Kickstarter update simply isn't compatible with this framework in any way.
3. Could this be circumvented and some of the anticipated features achieved through some other means by a devoted-enough modder (meaning without the Dungeoneer)?
I'm not a technical person and can't really answer this one.
4. Even without it, will *any* modding be available (such as campaign levels, multiplayer maps and so on)?
Multiplayer maps 100%. Scripted levels are our goal, but no promises yet.
5. If external game assets (game modes, models etc.) can't be directly added by players, do you plan on adding such content to the game later instead, after its inevitable success?
Yes, for sure.
Thanks for the understanding and giving backers a place to address you freely. The game so far looks [email protected]#%ing beautiful, and it feels so much like the originals that it made me reinstall and finish DK1 all over again. Considering the disgusting "Dungeon Keeper mobile" and TotalBuiscit's new video praising WFtO, and the rise in popularity of the early access on Steam, I have no doubt this will end up an amazing successor. And thanks for this year of hard work!
Thank you for supporting us!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Really enlightening, never realized you had so many problems in the early stages, but you guys soldiered through it and got it this far and I am sure the game will get finished as you always imagined it.

Good job guys!

Top Bottom