• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #1 - A New Leaf

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
It's definatley increasingly being used as the solution to most peoples games. So far it's a wonder to work with and I question why we never went with this engine before.

Khaladun

Blood Imp
Jul 9, 2012
Canada
Generally speaking you want to follow the "unholy trinity" of strategy being boom, rush, turtle, where "rush beats boom beats turtle beats rush" is what i'm getting out of this post. For a rush you need to make the early creatures strong enough and summoned fast enough to take down a keep. Possibly have the dungeon heart start at very weak, and as you build and expand, either with leveling units or building rooms, the heart gets slightly stronger. This will promote the whole idea of a rush in the sense of "Get em while they're weak!" but you need adequate scaling so that the turtle will be sitting there goin "LAWL!" or the boomer goes "Oh Noes!! My Dungunz!" And for a boomer, just give everyone some decent clusters of resources close to the base. A rusher will just takes what they need, a boomer will dump it all on units, a turtle will dump it all on defenses. Shrines are great idea to promote exploration, also i used to <3 the little pockets of free rooms with a couple free units some levels had scattered around. Not a huge edge but big enough to give u the warm fuzzies. The only issue i see is getting a rushers troops from point A to point B in a respectable means of time. Digging in and laying siege always was time consuming, which is why you ALWAYS made sure you had a respectable force before you dropped earthquake on that opponents walls. Maybe give the low tier rushing units a dig dirt only function, and not as good as a workers.

Fauztin

Blood Imp
Jul 31, 2012
Hello fellow DK2 fans ! I happened to stumble upon this while lurking the internet today and boy was I happy !
After reading alot of suggestions there is one that I feel of outmost importance: The turtle nerf.

Turtle in dungeon keeper 2 had too much of an advantage only mainly because of the hand being very overpowered with the drop massiv army defense and save low creatures. I never felt like traps were too good, more the opposite.

I think what needs to be changed is the ability to pick up creatures in an instant "click". I'm not too sure of what should be done but here are some suggestions:
1: You simply cannot pick up creatures anymore but have another way of "ordering" them around
2: There is a delay to pick up creatures again (Either fighting related or simply a cooldown)
3: You cannot pick up fighting creatures

Moreover, something i hated in DK2 was that wall rumble of doom spell that made it possible for enemies to come in from any directions in your base...

I'd like to see some way of stopping enemies from coming from just anywhere on your nice cuddly dungeon. =)

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
Hello fellow DK2 fans ! I happened to stumble upon this while lurking the internet today and boy was I happy !
After reading alot of suggestions there is one that I feel of outmost importance: The turtle nerf.

Turtle in dungeon keeper 2 had too much of an advantage only mainly because of the hand being very overpowered with the drop massiv army defense and save low creatures. I never felt like traps were too good, more the opposite.

I think what needs to be changed is the ability to pick up creatures in an instant "click". I'm not too sure of what should be done but here are some suggestions:
1: You simply cannot pick up creatures anymore but have another way of "ordering" them around
2: There is a delay to pick up creatures again (Either fighting related or simply a cooldown)
3: You cannot pick up fighting creatures

Moreover, something i hated in DK2 was that wall rumble of doom spell that made it possible for enemies to come in from any directions in your base...

I'd like to see some way of stopping enemies from coming from just anywhere on your nice cuddly dungeon. =)
Don't worry about that, we are very aware of such issues and have a lot of solutions to them. Play testing will tell if these solutions are good enough in the long run.

Jan 12, 2012
If only I suggested changing the lead programmer and engine months ago...

However I am pleased you are finally pulling the project together, I hope to be able to purchase a copy one day.

Thanks
Andrew

Rindy920

Blood Imp
Aug 7, 2012
Just want to say that I was looking for a way to run the original DK and DK2 on my windows 7 64 bit, and I stumbled on all of this. I have now used most of my day looking at the forums and overall just getting more excited. Once this is out I assure you me and all of my friends will be buying and wasting many hours of our lives on this game!:D

Chabix

Blood Imp
Aug 9, 2012
maybe you could add a teleportation place like a tunnel which will act as a portal and a safe house like the player will have to build two of those like 1 next to his dungeon and the other one next to the enemies territory and it will be destructible that way it will make the game's paste faster and it will add a strategical point. it will work like this: you throw the creatures in to it and then there icons will be seen when you click on the tunnel and if you what to take them out you just click on their icons.
I will be happy if more thought would be given into the creatures and mobs like having more abilities like in Majesty and improved possessions (if this game has that) I thing 3rd person perspective would be much more suitable and enjoyable. One of my problems with dk 2 was that when you possess you could only attack and couldn't see the exp while the computer could eat study and stuff like that so i say if you possess the creature why cant i do everything he does like eating when the creature is hungry like in minecraft.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Great announcement. Look forward to hearing more soon.

I especially like the Shrines idea, though I think the Ancient Tome one is a bit problematic - unless one you capture happens to be close to your main dungeon, you may actually lose efficiency because a creature would have to walk far to reach it, and whenever it had to leave to take care of its needs it would have to walk all the way back. Either that or you'd have to build more rooms near it to take care of those needs or just micromanage it, neither of which seems to be all that advantageous. That one might be something that's better if it was something that was moved to your library when you claimed it.

gagu

Blood Imp
Aug 30, 2012
I'm following this project for one year now, I don't know exactly. Im impressed of your work and also thought about letting you guys know about me considering web-development tasks. The thing is, I mean, I think I'm not the only person who checks your site and status at least weekly. We have September in a few days and there still is no update since June. I don't want screenshots or videos or something special, which eats your time. I just want to visit your site and at least read something simple like "hello world, we are alive". Is this a problem? I know software development, I know that most of the time things run out of schedule, but well... don't let people wait for such a long time. This is just unhealthy for your community and in the end: also for you guys.
Hope this post wakes you up.

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
I'm following this project for one year now, I don't know exactly. Im impressed of your work and also thought about letting you guys know about me considering web-development tasks. The thing is, I mean, I think I'm not the only person who checks your site and status at least weekly. We have September in a few days and there still is no update since June. I don't want screenshots or videos or something special, which eats your time. I just want to visit your site and at least read something simple like "hello world, we are alive". Is this a problem? I know software development, I know that most of the time things run out of schedule, but well... don't let people wait for such a long time. This is just unhealthy for your community and in the end: also for you guys.
Hope this post wakes you up.
I think that it's better to let us go along our development schedule then start posting news on some sort of schedule when we can actually give you content to look at. I'd rather not keep making empty news posts all the time as they serve no purpose.

Top Bottom