• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #2 - Still Alive

sukhonali

Bafu
WFTO Founder
Dec 19, 2011
Great news :), love the new updates and the new concepts, love the new developer addition (Risen), and love the new map mechanics (expansive dungeons) :D, this new update made my day :rolleyes:, looking forward for future updates :p.

Jared

Blood Imp
Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
@Sebt: As the owner of RiSE, I definitely don't want to nor plan on taking over WFTO or Subterranean Games. When we came in to collaborate, we were in the process of building our own DK spiritual successor and it made no sense to have more competition when WFTO was so well known. We would rather WFTO be complete and see the light of day, if for nothing else than most of the RiSE team loving the DK franchise and wanting to see a true successor instead of Dungeons. Kyle continues to lead the project and Subterranean Games, and that will never change. I came on as Lead Programmer and have followed the design to the letter while throwing in ideas based on the experiences I and the RiSE team have run into to ensure that not only does WFTO get finished, but we aim for and achieve the quality of today's games.

As to our history, we've been doing projects for years now. We were working directly with CD Projekt RED on a possible Witcher expansion years ago, and had built a proof of concept called Deception (http://www.moddb.com/mods/deception). We were working on the RiSE gaming OS for a few years and have a more or less working prototype, but the system depends upon games in the network which is why we would like to help with WFTO and cultivate this game so Subterranean Games, if they decide to do so, would want to join the RiSE network in the future. Recently we were focused on Epoch Saga for a year and a half, but decided to postpone the demo as the resources and time needed to finish it were a bit too great to hit the level needed for investments. This led to the potential DK project and working with the WFTO team. From there, we plan to focus back on RiSE and Epoch Saga over the next few years.
Well you've got yourself an increased fan base buddy as you and your team coming on board to help make this game happen has already won you friends and fans amongst us, I myself now will be taking an interest in your company and any games you guys may develop ;). The fact that you've collaborated with CD Projekt RED only lends weight to your companies credibility and competence as a game developer, I honestly can't wait to see what the combined efforts of WFTO team and RiSE team produce! :D:)

Sep 18, 2012
I for one am really glad the development is continuing, and would like to thank Subterraneangames for their dedication and hard work to make WFTO possible. I have been checking both the old site and now Subterraneangames for months and finally decided I should at least register and make my presence known. Again thanks for the good news guys and good luck!

-killerjerick

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
I for one am really glad the development is continuing, and would like to thank Subterraneangames for their dedication and hard work to make WFTO possible. I have been checking both the old site and now Subterraneangames for months and finally decided I should at least register and make my presence known. Again thanks for the good news guys and good luck!

-killerjerick
Well firstly welcome to the forum Killerjerick. We would also like to thank you for your continued support. The WFTO team is currently working vary hard. James is vary excited to be releasing the upcoming news post later this week :D

WarForTheOverworld.com will be updated in the upcoming months.

Sep 18, 2012
Well firstly welcome to the forum Killerjerick. We would also like to thank you for your continued support. The WFTO team is currently working vary hard. James is vary excited to be releasing the upcoming news post later this week :D

WarForTheOverworld.com will be updated in the upcoming months.
Thanks for the reply Alistair. Also sorry if this is somewhere in the forums, but I would like to donate to keep WFtO alive and I am currently trying to find a donate option (again I'm sure this has already been covered haha I am just tired). Anyway I seriously want to support you guys as much as I can and I'm thinking of possible ways to do this. please if you have anything I can do to help you guys don't hesitate to ask, I'm sure most of the other members would also be willing to help in any way possible. Good luck guys! Talk to you soon.

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Thanks for the reply Alistair. Also sorry if this is somewhere in the forums, but I would like to donate to keep WFtO alive and I am currently trying to find a donate option (again I'm sure this has already been covered haha I am just tired). Anyway I seriously want to support you guys as much as I can and I'm thinking of possible ways to do this. please if you have anything I can do to help you guys don't hesitate to ask, I'm sure most of the other members would also be willing to help in any way possible. Good luck guys! Talk to you soon.
Your welcome Killerjerick. It has been covered many times, but I'm all ways happy to keep the community updated. Currently there is no way to donate to War For The Overworld. We will be launching a Kickstater and a Paypal service later on. There is no threat that the project with stall without money. We will require funds later on to keep the project moving and development at a faster rate.

Currently all we ask of the community is keep with us and spread the word that War For The Overworld is coming!

Jun 28, 2012
Hey Alistair, I understand for copyright issues that you cant have the more unique creatures like the Horned Reaper in WFTO, but does that include the generic mobs like skeletons, goblins, trolls, and such? I know they cant be complete copies from the last game and theyll have new moves and everything. I just want to have an idea on how strict the copyright is. Also cant wait for the next news post :D

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Hey Alistair, I understand for copyright issues that you cant have the more unique creatures like the Horned Reaper in WFTO, but does that include the generic mobs like skeletons, goblins, trolls, and such? I know they cant be complete copies from the last game and theyll have new moves and everything. I just want to have an idea on how strict the copyright is. Also cant wait for the next news post :D
Well, we're certainly taking influence from these games but we are designing everything from the ground up. Wait for the unit reveals and you'll see ;)

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hey Firehear47 just wanted to expand on what Josh (Simburgur) said above as he did not really answer your question. Your right we can't use certain elements. What we don't want to do is infringe on Electronic Arts (EA) intellectual property. No one owns rights to such things as skeletons, goblins, trolls as you rightly pointed out. The copyright is not strict at all when you creating your own game, we can take mechanics from other games then expand upon them with no problem. Just as how every MMO and First person shooter have taken elements from other games before it. War For The Overworld is not going be a clone, its going be a standalone game in its own right.

Top Bottom