• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #4 - Juggernaut Smash!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
WFTO Development Diary #4:
Juggernaut Smash!

A long and busy week has passed since we last spoke. How have you been? Feel free to tell us in the comments section. In the spirit of asking questions that reveal pleasant and uplifting answers we're going to try something new this week in addition to the regular ol' news that, come brimstone or flood, shall be unleashed upon you every seven days. We'll start with the news and get to our experiment afterwards.

This week we are all about the Juggernaut. We all have probably known a guy who reminds us of the Juggernaut in our life – big, oafish, owns a huge hammer and a full suit of armor that could crush a lesser man beneath its steely might (for those of you who got to this page while Googling Steely Dan I apologize). This man you may or may not have ever known probably only spoke in grunts followed by the occasional “I want to hit that” – but that was his charm... and he was really good at hitting things.

We knew a guy like that too, so much that we decided to toss him straight into the depths to do battle with our own fearsome host of dreadful creatures.

The Juggernaut

[medio]2[/medio]​

Behold: the fearsome Juggernaut. This giant of a man has the strength of ten... and just as many brain cells. The Juggernaut is a burly warrior shielded within a full suit of heavy armour. By himself he is the most resilient normal unit in the game and is able to withstand a prodigious amount of punishment before he is defeated. He specializes in the disruption of enemy attacks and mitigating damage by actively tanking on the front lines – however his own damage output is fairly low. Outside of battle he will gladly hit things with his hammer (his best [perhaps only] skill) in the Foundry.

jugg_render.png
Click to enlarge

In battle he will charge (active) forward and taunt (passive) enemies that he strikes, giving allies precious time to attack with impunity. While on the front lines the Juggernaut can crash his hammer down upon the ground to release a shockwave (active) – slowing enemies for a few moments. If outnumbered he will brace(active) himself and stand defensively, reducing the effectiveness of enemy attacks at the cost of reduced movement speed. Due to his might, or perhaps due to the severe lack of firing neurons in that massive skull of his, he is able to withstand pain that would cripple a lesser creature, as such he is able to wade through lava for a short period of time – some call him hard boiled (passive). However if he spends too much time swimming in the lava (or absorbing one too many fire spells) he will become cooked (status) and will take extra damage from enemy attacks until the effect wears off

Now let's try something new...

As we are always seeking ways to actively incorporate the community into the design process we are opening the floodgates, so to speak, and want to hear what units you want in the game. If we like you idea we will take what has been suggested and iterate upon it until it fits neatly into a little corner of War for the Overworld. We are currently seeking suggestions for the Empire (the “good” guys), specifically units.

Here's the information we'd like for each unit:
  • Name
  • Highlight (1 liner of why this unit is cool/unique)
  • Bio / Synopsis
  • Associated Rooms (where they work or hang out)
  • Special Needs (if any)
  • Abilities (3 active abilities and at least 1 passive trait)
And here's the format we'd like it in, using the Juggernaut as an example:

The Juggernaut
The most resilient 'normal' unit in the game. Can walk through lava.

Behold: the fearsome Juggernaut. This giant of a man has the strength of ten... and just as many brain cells. The Juggernaut is a burly warrior shielded within a full suit of heavy armour. By himself he is the most resilient normal unit in the game and is able to withstand a prodigious amount of punishment before he is defeated. He specializes in the disruption of enemy attacks and mitigating damage by actively tanking on the front lines – however his own damage output is fairly low. Outside of battle he will gladly hit things with his hammer (his best [perhaps only] skill) in the Foundry.

Passive Traits
  • Hard Boiled: The Juggernaut is able to walk through lava without taking damage, after spending a short amount of time in lava or taking a large amount of fire damage over a short duration, the Juggernaut will become “cooked” and take an additional 100% damage from all types until the effect wears off.
  • Aggression: Any unit damaged by the Juggernaut will be taunted for a brief period.
Active Abilities
  • Charge: The Juggernaut charges forward dealing damage and knocking back any enemies he collides with.
  • Shockwave: The Juggernaut slams the ground with his hammer, lightly damaging and reducing the movement speed of nearby enemies for a few seconds.
  • Brace: The Juggernaut takes a defensive stance, sacrificing movement speed but gaining significantly increased defences. This ability can not be used while under the effects of Hard Boiled.
Please post all your ideas in the suggestion forum, thanks!

Thanks for checking in on us, we have some fiendish things in the works and hope you continue to stay tuned. The best possible way you can help this project is by sharing it with your friends, family, and coworkers, with enough support we shall certainly win this War... for the Overworld.

– WftO Team

As has been said a few times -- PLEASE post them to the suggestions forum. It is linked in the post as well as directly after the post. Once you have relocated them to the proper place please edit your post here! We won't be able to do anything with suggestions posted in the comments of our news (you're throwing wrenches into the goddamn really well oiled machine, people!)

Cheers, we love you all and appreciate the suggestions... they just need to go in the right spot!

<3 James

If the excessive hyperlinks above didn't clue you in... they go here: http://subterraneangames.com/forums/suggestions.10/

Thanks!
Are there any video's for other creatures - eg Bloodling, Cultist, Blood Imp (?) etc?
Patience is a virtue... and it shall be rewarded in one way or another ;)

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Ha! That attack looks brutal, I love it :D
Just looking at, what I presume is a bloodimp, he seems to have a bandage on his leg - looks like you've got some really good attention to guys. Is the bandage for all imps to look cool in or just hardcore ones that are damaged? :)
Nice sound effects too, that Juggernaut grunt is awesome!

Also, when I was posting last night at 3am the morning...I don't really remember much of that lol. I just woke up with my iPod in my hand still on the same webpage. Well...I'm going to call it dedication :D

sukhonali

Bafu
WFTO Founder
Dec 19, 2011
Love the new video! its about time! the logo background suits it!, 3d animation is looking great :D, yet the the blood worker's color looks more pinkish than bloodish but the 3d model is looking good, the Juggernaut is looking fantastic!, ambiance and sounds sound great too! keep up the good work! :)

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all know here at Subterranean Game we really appreciate all the great feedback and support you give us every week. Its great too see the same names around the forum and new ones each week. The community is growing great! vary mature and a brilliant source of inspiration so a vary big thank you too you all, new and old.

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Ha! That attack looks brutal, I love it :D
Just looking at, what I presume is a bloodimp, he seems to have a bandage on his leg - looks like you've got some really good attention to guys. Is the bandage for all imps to look cool in or just hardcore ones that are damaged? :)
Nice sound effects too, that Juggernaut grunt is awesome!

Also, when I was posting last night at 3am the morning...I don't really remember much of that lol. I just woke up with my iPod in my hand still on the same webpage. Well...I'm going to call it dedication :D
You are indeed right Medjay, that poor poor Blood Imp. Will they all look exactly the same? you will have too find out later ;)

If I could award your dedication I would. Sadly I have nothing to offer apart from a promise of more news!

Absolutely fantastic! Keep up the great work guys! :D
Thanks Jared, we will!

Love the new video! its about time! the logo background suits it!, 3d animation is looking great :D, yet the the blood worker's color looks more pinkish than bloodish but the 3d model is looking good, the Juggernaut is looking fantastic!, ambiance and sounds sound great too! keep up the good work! :)
Thanks for the great feedback, you will be getting a better look at the Blood Imp in the months too come, I assure you he is one vary good looking Blood Imp.

Oooh coming soon in 2013 ? :)
so excited if only ....
I HAD GOT HERE SOONER FOR FIRST POST DAMMM :mad: DOH :p
Awesome to see the Juggernaut fully fleshed, I can't wait to see the other updates you guys have in store for us. :)
Make sure you both check back next Thursday! :)

Top Bottom