• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #5 - The Cultist

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
WFTO Development Diary #5:
The Cultist

Happy Thursday everyone. The news that was slated for this week has been moved back a bit so we'll be taking the whimsy down a notch or two and increase the drip on the IV that sedates you while we bang out a truly earth shattering post for next week. Don't bother asking why the news was moved, but know that the reason it was is good. Now that we have that out of the way let's talk briefly about the Cultist.

The Cultist
gallery.png
Gallery of various Cultist concepts, click to enlarge
The Cultist is a frail creature who has sacrificed physical strength for mystical power granted by steadfast devotion to a dark god. Placed toe to toe with almost any other creature they would find themselves soundly beaten – to the endless shame of their mysterious deity. When a young worker asked a Cultist why he was so thin and frail he responded: “When I worship, I need no food, no water, no sleep... I want for nothing that is not provided by prayer.

He then disembowelled the worker and offered him up as sacrifice with the quip: “My master asks for much more.

While they are not formidable fighters their spells have a way of increasing the pain of their foes and healing their allies – making them a strong supporting caster in an army of any composition. After enough training the Cultist may offer him or herself up in a ritual to become a Blood Mage, a zealot of fearsome strength who we shall discuss at a point in the near future.

Passive Traits
  • Devout: Working in a [room that is yet to be revealed!] allows the cultist to go without food, sleep, or pay.
  • Soulbreaker: The Cultist's basic attacks deal additional damage equal to a portion of their target's missing health.
Active Abilities
  • Wither: Slows an enemy unit and causes them to take increased damage from allies for a few seconds.
  • Regeneration: Heals a friendly unit over several seconds.
  • Dark Calling: Dramatically increases the combat capabilities of a friendly unit.
The Future
We mentioned next week was going to be awesome, and due to the delay we're going to give you a little sneak peek:

teaser.png
Click to enlarge

But that's all you're getting for now. Again, we apologize again for the shorter than average news post but assure you that next week and the following few Thursdays will make everyone agree that it was more than worth the wait.

– WftO Team

p.s. remember to never take candy from a Cultist, it has almost certainly been poisoned. Our writer may or may not have fallen for this trick yesterday and spent the majority of today hovering between life and death while attempting to write the news.

Apr 28, 2012
Denmark
I like what i see!
A few questions pop up though..
What will he sacrifice to usa his active abilities? Will he have some sort of Mana? Will he be able to sacrifice blood (health) to heal and support? Can he sacrifice friendly creatures/captives?

As I see it, the cultist opens many doors to exciting features in the game. Most of which include death and sacrifices ;)

Looking forward to find out what's new with the imps!

sukhonali

Bafu
WFTO Founder
Dec 19, 2011
I really like the cultist and the concepts, and I specially like his Soulbreaker attack, he can be effectively used to buff allies and finish off enemies :D , looking forward for the Blood Imp special, as always nice work guys :).

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
The news that next week's news will be epic is enough for me, just hope it's not an oversell, no pressure. ;)

Love the idea of the Cultist becoming more powerful through a ritual. I've always looked at magic users as the most knowledgeable entities in fiction, and as a result the most powerful. Whether that may and may not be the case in a game, it's how I'll always role-play in most RPGs that allow me to do so.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Ok, so, I'm still a little way of first post...ah well, always next week.

Anyway, I think the cultist looks particually cool. I do like the colour scheme a lot.
However, just a couple of questions do arise from this for me: first, you mention the words 'him or herself' suggesting creature genders? If so, that's awesome :)
Second, it sounds like you might have got some good lore planned. If so, I can't wait to get my teeth into it.

Good work guys!

Jan 7, 2012
These guys look good ,
Visual creature diversity was already mentioned, could there be the chance that some high level cultists could wear one of these awesome masks you have shown?

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
The cultist will certainly add greatly to the battle tactics as well as to the coherence of the game. His garment looks badass, but I liked the face of an earlier version of the cultist, where you could only see two glowing eyespots surrounded by black. I gave him a more monster-ish expression rather than just looking pissed off ^^

Anyway, that a very minor issue for me. All in all, everything looks great and promising. Keep it up!

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hey everyone, once again thank you for the positive feedback we get each week. Hope you all check back next Thursday for the latest news.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
*puts away angry pitchfork *
Oh the cultist looks so evil
but never mind that look at those little cute blood imps
oh and get better soon James

*puts away angry pitchfork *
Oh the cultist looks so evil
but never mind that look at those little cute blood imps
oh and get better soon James
Thanks, turns out it is stomach flu!

Many thanks to whoever sneezed/coughed/spat on me while I was in public and gave it to me.
(I will find you and make you rue the day you got me sick).
<3

Jul 13, 2012
I do believe I was coughing a little while before.....

Oh hey! Nice news post. Good to see you're on your way to recovery James. :)

Atimas

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Oct 13, 2012
What ever room is given to them to do there dark deeds. Please make it were the creatures want to go in there. Say for example when they are praying. Other creatures want to go in there to steal from them because there so into there praying they do not know what happens. Yet if they do catch them, there used for a sacrifice.

Aug 29, 2012
that realy good i love the creature i cant wate to controle i puture my self fighting with does heoes

o man im hungry i fill like goind to the huchry for some suculent chiken hot wing

Top Bottom