• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #6 - Good Things Come in Small Packages

WFTO Development Diary #6:
Good Things Come in Small Packages

...And on the eve of the sixth development diary newspost they sat... they sat and they pondered... and then they accidentally fell asleep. But while asleep they dreamed... and upon waking they realized: there was nothing more important in all of the Overworld (or beneath it) than the worker. Without the worker dirt would not crumble and stones would lay unturned; precious gold would fail to gleam in the flickering wick of a lantern or the oiled wood of a torch. As they thought upon this they bellowed and shouted a curse to the sky. As the earth shook and the skies cracked upon they shed a single tear at the thought of unclaimed wealth...

They took blood from the beast; they stripped the caustic flesh from the demon; they exorcised the unwavering soul of the World-Render*.

Lying back, exhausted, they waited for the clock to strike ten before pulling, with trembling hands, the cover from over their most vital creation as it rose to life. They had created:

The agile Blood Imp and the stalwart Dwarven Miner

workers.2.png
Click to enlarge

This is the single most important unit you will ever control. The Blood Imp with his spindly little pickaxe-wielding arms and the Dwarven Miner with his stumpy little legs. Each will work tirelessly to dig and fortify the walls of your dungeon. These two little creatures are also responsible for mining and returning gleaming piles of gold to your treasury. Bask in their glory and treat them well (slapping is of course recommended [to keep them in line]).

Kickstarter

Our news posts will be somewhat shorter over the next month or so as we gear ourselves up for our Kickstarter campaign. Are you asking what this means for you? Well, it means you can spend the extra minutes we save you by making our news shorter to go out and mow the lawn for your Dad, or drive your Grandma to the yarn shop. If you are extremely dedicated you can massage your creepy Auntie's feet, make some extra money, and eventually enjoy the various rewards we have in store for you.

Tech Demo

As a treat to you all we will soon be releasing a small tech demo of the game that you can play in your web browser. You can prepare for this momentous occasion by downloading the Unity Web Player. We recommend using Google Chrome to improve the player’s performance (and thus your enjoyment).

In the demo you will have the power to spawn Blood Imps, dig, and claim land to your hearts content. The demo will be available to play next Friday, which happens to be the new day that we will be posting our weekly news on (Thursday knows what it did, and until it apologizes we’ll have no truck with it).

Thank you all for your continued support and regular feedback! We’ll be back next Friday with another dose of news for you to gobble up. In case you didn't catch that -- we’re moving our news posts to Friday to make your week’s end more exciting.

-- WFTO Team

*A mythical beast who rends worlds.

Jun 28, 2012
:eek::eek::eek: Le gasp! A Tech demo?? OMG, More excited than a fangirl @ a Justin Bieber concert. The images of the workers are simply amazing. Very high rez, cant wait to play next friday. Schools off as well that day so Fuck to the Yeaa!!

Apr 16, 2012
Yay! Both workers look amazing :-] Your work continuosly pleases and surprises me :D OMFG A TECH DEMO ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!! So keen hahahaha, and looking forward to the kickstarter :> get this game the publicity and exposure it deserves!

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
A tech demo! Holy fudge! The most I expected was footage of what you have so far, not to actually give us control, can't wait!

You're going for Kickstarter as well? Awesome, I've always thought Kickstarter was exclusive to the US though? Due to you guys being predominantly UK based I thought it wasn't going to happen. I love to browse the video games on Kickstarter, backing and following a few games currently, but this'll be top of my list.

Nice one guys, you've outdone yourselves with this news, and here I was doubting you :D. Glad you proved me wrong, keep up the great work.

Jun 28, 2012
Do you guys have a general idea when you will begin your Kickstarter? I watch a youtuber named BebopVox, who does Minecraft & Gaming news videos. In his Gaming News vids, he has a kickstarter segment where he will show off what one has to offer. I really am going to try to get him to show WFTO in an episode.

Jan 27, 2012

seriously though when you guys start the kickstarter i am gonna find some way to donate some money, and a bunch of people should email bebopvox and get your guys' kickstarter on one of his vox of gaming shows.

Jul 6, 2012
YES I CANT WAIT FOR IT ALL! but plz dont make the highest kick starter reward like 9000 dollars cause i want to feel top dog and special :D

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
Good to know, I have started saving some money especially for this KS. Those workers are awesome, cant wait to see them ingame and I still cant believe that there will be some techdemo...need to read that post again and again:)

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hi, some very well developed creatures you got there. Personally I much prefer this visuals of the WftO workers to, for instance, that of 'Dungeons' workers. So, good work as always!

By the way, that the heck am I going to do with the 'Pre-Thursday Discussion Thread' now! :)

Super excited for the demo, I wasn’t expecting anything so soon, I look forward to it very much.

"The Unity Web Player is not currently compatible with the operating system that you appear to be using."

grrrr, they don't make it for linux browser yet, too bad... :mad:

Anyway, nice to see new workers. From the start Blood Imp concept art was with us and that's good it is realized now. :)
I like this feel that my favourite DK successor is creating something that will not look like a WoW... ;)
(as many, many new games - especially MMO does.)

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
WFTO Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hi, some very well developed creatures you got there. Personally I much prefer this visuals of the WftO workers to, for instance, that of 'Dungeons' workers. So, good work as always!

By the way, that the heck am I going to do with the 'Pre-Thursday Discussion Thread' now! :)

Super excited for the demo, I wasn’t expecting anything so soon, I look forward to it very much.
Medjay it has now been renamed to 'Pre-Friday Discussion Thread' ;)

Top Bottom