1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WFTO Development Diary #7 - Delays, Goodies, Questions

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Simburgur, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

WFTO Development Diary #7:
    Delays, Goodies, Questions

Hey folks,

Very short post today! As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, the web demo we mentioned in the last update has been delayed (see the link for more details).

ImpWallpaper1-1920x1080.png

Instead, we've got a few goodies in the form of some wallpapers! There's 3 wallpapers available in 4 resolutions each (1024x768, 1280x1024, 1680x1050, 1920x1080), and then there's also some mobile wallpapers fit for iPads and iPhones. If you want a specific resolution, please post in this thread and I'll get them made and added to the album.

Also later this evening (~10pm UK Time) I'll be holding a Q&A in this very thread. Get your questions in now and I'll be answering them tonight!

-- WFTO Team

Zap, dyspise, Eek and 1 other person like this.
  2. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

Love the wallpapers, got a new background now :D. I look forward to the Q+A too. :)

(oh just wanted to say, FIRST POST! Oh yeah...I'm good...yep, I'm a beast)

Bustercall likes this.
  3. Bering

Bering Disciple

AAA games can suck it!

Indies like this will rule!

4. dotted

dotted Bafu

Simburgur is it true you were raised by Wolves?

amcoops likes this.
  5. Eek

Eek Dryad Founder

awwwww, they're adorable!

6. James

James Loremaster of Evil

Thumbs up for callback humor. (y)

I also have an inside source that says this is true.

(Source: Josh's Mum [a darling wolf who loves to bite ;)])

7. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

Got a new avatar, what you guys think? :)

8. Sarevokus

Sarevokus Chunder

1600x900 please :D

@Medjay : old one was better :p

Questions :

How do you decide which suggestions are worth of being a possible pick into creature reservoir ? And if you pick suggestion how often it have it's original stat/skill set ?

What are your current longterm plans with WftO ? And what will you guys do after you make it ? Will you focus on *blargh* DLC or will you focus on something different ?

and lastly : When :)

9. amcoops

amcoops Priestess Founder

Such a great opportunity to delve deep into the mind of the lead designer, and here I am without a single question to pose. I will regret this, probably tomorrow.

EDIT:

1. How many hours does your team put into making the game at the moment and how will this change after the Kickstarter?

2. What has been your biggest challenge so far and which hurdle coming up do you fear the most?

Done.

10. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

Ok, well I've got a few questions if I may:

Firstly, I was wondering if there had been any advancements in the music for WftO or if this was going to be left until a later date? If there was any update on the music, I was wondering what style you are aiming for (perhaps compared to other game's choices of music)?

Secondly, I was wondering about whether it was confirmed in development if there was going to be an achievement system though the game and, by extension, any sort of 'on-line rating' system?

Finally, I was hoping to know if there was any sort of colour scheme in effect please? I realise it is not exactly the most important question in the world, but it would be interesting to know. For instance, DK2 took a sort of 'red and black' colour scheme compared to dungeons which seems to use a completely varied colour scheme.

@Sarevokus - Hi, I was originally hoping to make the space invaders thing a banner, I was wondering how you do it please. Do I have to embed the image from the internet or can I upload my own directly? Thanks.

11. Xadrow

Xadrow Disciple

As a great DK2 fan, I was just wondering how game-play in WftO would relate to the previous evil experience: is it more of a AoE style, or can we really play it as DK2 style? Also, is the concept of crafts and mana also kept?

Finally, I would like to wish all the best with the development, and great work so far (even tough I'm not active enough to know exactly how far you are)

12. Sarevokus

Sarevokus Chunder

@Medjay mine are just embed. I was given those two and told to use them so i use them :/

Medjay likes this.
  13. Zomboden

Zomboden Warden Backer

Can't wait to try this... been watching since Keeper Klan so far so good

14. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

Sorry for the delay folks. Busy evening!

I'll be adding bold numbers (eg (1)) to help link questions to their answers.

(1) Yes.

(2) The 1920x1080 one should work your screen. I did one of each aspect ratio at the most-used size for that ratio (according to Steam). If it looks odd then let me know and I'll add one of each at that resolution.

(3) When looking at a unit idea the thing that usually comes first in terms of importance is the overall basic concept (ie, what this unit is and what makes it unique). Generally we will rarely take a suggestion as-is - the most important thing is that core concept, we will then take it and mould it to fit the game.

(4) We have a very, very long term and scalable plan for WFTO, which includes paid and free content. The amount we raise on Kickstart will directly affect what content is free and what content is paid (basically, the more we get from kickstarter, the more time we can spend producing free content). Other platforms are also an option and something we may explore if the demand is there.

(5) Next year.

(6) At the moment, the majority of us are working on this around our current jobs/eduction, as such the hours vary highly per person and per week.. A couple of us have recently quit our jobs/taken time off work in hopes that Kickstarter will succeed. Post-Kicsktarter, we hope to have a larger portion of the team working on this full time.

(7) The biggest challenge has probably been preparing everything for Kickstarter (which is still a daily task - at the moment, it takes up the majority of my time). My biggest fear right now is that our Kickstarter fails, but it's looking very likely that we will succeed at the moment - we have a few tricks up our sleeve ;)

(8) Unsure at the moment, generally music doesn't rely on other parts of the game (and other parts of the game don't rely on music) so it's not at the top of our priority list right now.

(9) Achievements are definitely something we want to do. Online ranking is a possibility but it's something for way down the road, so don't bank on it just yet.

(10) I'm not entirely sure how to answer this. For the most part we are using warmer colours for the Underlord units, and cooler colours for the Empire units. Garrett may be able to answer this better - I'll see if I can grab him later.

(11) Gameplay is heavily influenced by DK 1 & 2. You'll be seeing more in the near future.

(12) We're in early production, but things are relatively slow until we can all start working on the game full time (post-Kickstarter). We've made good progress so far but there is still a long way to go.

Thanks for the questions guys!

15. fireheart47

fireheart47 Chunder

Love it lol

16. fireheart47

fireheart47 Chunder

Damn missed the QA? Well...I was gonna ask although I think its been said somewhere, Is this going to be the same bird's eye/overhead view ingame that DK had/has? Or will it be more of a third person view? The screenshot makes it seem like the camera will be almost horizontal with everything.

17. Macauley

Macauley Spirit Backer

Damn I didn't check yesterday since I was asleep all day. Nocturnal sleeping pattern at the moment.
    Is there a way to get the site to email me when a new post is put up?

18. EagleGuardian

EagleGuardian Oculus

Speaking of music, will it be dynamic / interactive as mentioned here? Is there anything else to be mentioned about the music in general? Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the work you guys are putting up here, but I'm getting the feeling the audio (specifically, the music) is getting a bit neglected.

Also, are there still positions for music production available? ^^

19. Jacques

Jacques Blood Imp

This game is looking great so far. I like how the imps is looking and the environment and I hope this game will have the same feeling to it as Duneon Keeper 2 had.

20. Eliv

Eliv Blood Imp

I actually would like the game to preserve its DK1 feel (Yup I know it's just a spiritual successor but still~)