1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WFTO Development Diary #8 - The Tech Demo

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Simburgur, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

WFTO Development Diary #8:
    The Tech Demo & Kickstarter

Hey folks,

As mentioned a few weeks ago we have been preparing a demo for you guys to play around with - we had to make a few changes, but it's finally ready. The most significant difference from what we announced is that this demo isn't going to be playable in your browser - currently it will only run on Windows, but we are working to try and prepare an OS X build as well.

Kickstarter - What do you want to see?

Kickstarter is coming soon, and we are in the process of finalizing our pledge reward levels and stretch goals. Now is your last chance to input ideas for rewards (or anything else Kickstarter-related), so post them here and we will be sure to read them!

We hope you enjoy the demo, thanks for sticking with us!

-- WFTO Team

sukhonali and Bustercall like this.
  2. Macauley

Macauley Spirit Backer

I inb4'd the tech demo.
    I called that shit.
    Do I get an award?

3. Simburgur

No, but you get to play. Have fun :p

4. Macauley

Macauley Spirit Backer

It's taking me too long to clean my keyboard...
    I'll try to play soon...

5. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Oculus

my life... this is where it starts...

6. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Oculus

despite the fact you guys said it would be later you still did a very good job:) just a week late is nothing compared to other (bigger) companies who just ... screw fans over basically:p

Amon, fireheart47 and Macauley like this.
  7. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

This 1 minute download feels like the longest minute ever...can't wait!

8. Hexagram

Hexagram Blood Imp

As nice as it looked an all, and I know this isn't exactly supposed to be bug free, but i sent my little chaps to a wall, bam. they took it. fair enough.
    But then i clicked another wall and all the minions kept running into it, and I couldn't stop em!
    They just kept coming and coming and running into this wall, not doing anything.
    Soon the frame rate bombed and i had to close.
    Keep up the good work, i await this games progress!

Amon, Bustercall and dotted like this.
  9. Bustercall

Bustercall Oculus

Now there is just a voice actor with an epic anounce voice needed :D even if this is not bad at all.

10. Mothrayas

Mothrayas Blood Imp

Pretty cool.

Tech demo does have some significant issues, though.
    • Workers utterly fail to find working areas about 90% of the time.
    • Even if they do reach their destinations (more or less), they commonly tend to just run around back and forth without achieving anything.
    • Framerate gets a massive, massive hit when workers try digging something out - rendering the demo pretty much unplayable.

I realize that this is only a tech demo, but still, these are things that I feel should've been fixed before tech demo release.

11. Macauley

Macauley Spirit Backer

Similar issue but was fixed temporarily when I got them to digg another block instead.
    Just the way the game looks makes me very happy.
    Especially to see that it follows true to Dungeon Keeper style, most of my worries are gone. Keep up the great work guys!
    You can count on my money when you get that kickstarter going and I can help promote the game on youtube/my stream if you guys need it.

I didn't get this since my machine is reasonably powerfull.

12. Asmodeus

Asmodeus Oculus

So far I like the demo:) very Dk-like, as I, and I think the others as well, wanted:) also credits to the music creators, nice ambient.
    uuum plz don't ban me for spamming;)

13. amcoops

amcoops Priestess Founder

Awesome, downloading now, I'll leave some feedback before the morning.

14. Wonderboy2402

Wonderboy2402 Disciple

Yes, yes! VERY nice. I think it is looking terrific. I also want to compliment the music too and the dark look you are maintaining.

I will certainly make a donation in kickstarter for this.

Kickstarter suggestions:
    1.) Early bird donations for better deal. Will help get a quick boost to the overall goal and let people not familiar with the game to see that people are donating support.
    2.) Reach out to the fans of Dungeon Keeper and really hit this home. Then show us why it will be a spiritual successor, including what you liked most about that game along with why people have been doing it wrong since (DUNGEONS?). Part of the tremendous success of Project Eternity s they had established makers of these games participating. But they emphasized strongly that it was the infinity engine games that they were working towards. There are many fans of Dungeon Keeper craving this sort of game that is War for the Overworld.

Tech Demo:
    Nice to see things coming together. Loved the style and music even this early. One thing I hope to see is maybe some underground ecology with fungus, or dripping water, roots... sprinkled randomly to break up the repetitive tiles. Maybe as a dungeon evolves and walls are built we can see more uniform struncture, but would be nice to see how a rough cut dungeon looks to an established one.

Amon likes this.
  15. Simburgur

Yup, we know there are pathing issues as this build is using an old map system (this was the reason for the hold up - we're still putting the new system together to fix these issues), hence all the disclaimers :p

16. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

I am very impressed with that ambient music, its ambient without doubt, but still exciting, very good! Nice work with the dungeon heart too, it looks very original but is clearing a heart. The view options are good. I very much like how you can use the num-pad to change the view, it makes sense really (although somehow to me it would make more sense if it worked like 1 & 3 are zoom and 7 & 9 are pan left/right because then you can press the pan key in the direction you want to go).

Just wondering, is the juggernaut controllable/autonomous or is he just chilling there for now?

I had that trouble too, I closed and reopened a couple of times, on the third go I had the task manager open to look at the 'Performance'...now works smooth like peanut butter on a slice of bread.

So, yep, good work!

17. Simburgur

Just chilling for the moment :)

18. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

Ah, thanks

19. Medjay

Medjay Shadow Backer

If I may make a suggestion for the future while it comes to mind, perhaps the '5' key on the num-pad could a a view re-set hotkey, could be quite useful :)

20. Sarevokus

Sarevokus Chunder

Is it me or are the imps very small ? (not launched demo yet)