• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

WFTO Development Diary #8 - The Tech Demo

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
WFTO Development Diary #8:
The Tech Demo & Kickstarter

Hey folks,

As mentioned a few weeks ago we have been preparing a demo for you guys to play around with - we had to make a few changes, but it's finally ready. The most significant difference from what we announced is that this demo isn't going to be playable in your browser - currently it will only run on Windows, but we are working to try and prepare an OS X build as well.

Kickstarter - What do you want to see?

Kickstarter is coming soon, and we are in the process of finalizing our pledge reward levels and stretch goals. Now is your last chance to input ideas for rewards (or anything else Kickstarter-related), so post them here and we will be sure to read them!

We hope you enjoy the demo, thanks for sticking with us!

-- WFTO Team

Just to get a better view of the tech demo:

I really feel this can be more considered a proof of concept. It was utilizing a base AI/Pathfinding system that was inadequate for the game style of DK. This resulted in what you see in the tech demo where once you begin digging, they have a hard time properly understanding where to go, and that new areas have been dug out. Initial AI/Pathing in the game worked great when the initial workers go and claim land.

One of the biggest hurdles we've had to overcome is getting an AI system, along with proper Pathfinding, to understand that the game dynamically changes at runtime. Between digging areas, placing rooms that change the ground height, bridges, etc., the pathfinding needs to be able to compensate.

Later builds (tech demo was an early fork from two and a half months ago codenamed "170" by the team due to its revision) have resolved this problem but they were not at a state of being able to show the same content as this one until around January due to complete rewrites of key systems like the AI that are still being worked on. We made a decision to do what we could to incorporate our latest assets in 170, as well as tweak as much of the code as was feasibly possible in the build, in order to provide a sneak peak of some of the aimed gameplay functionality as well as the assets and audio. And remember, this was a build from months ago. A lot (and that is an understatement) has happened since then and now. :)

Hexagram

Blood Imp
Nov 2, 2012
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
As nice as it looked an all, and I know this isn't exactly supposed to be bug free, but i sent my little chaps to a wall, bam. they took it. fair enough.
But then i clicked another wall and all the minions kept running into it, and I couldn't stop em!
They just kept coming and coming and running into this wall, not doing anything.
Soon the frame rate bombed and i had to close.
Keep up the good work, i await this games progress!

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
Pretty cool.

Tech demo does have some significant issues, though.
  • Workers utterly fail to find working areas about 90% of the time.
  • Even if they do reach their destinations (more or less), they commonly tend to just run around back and forth without achieving anything.
  • Framerate gets a massive, massive hit when workers try digging something out - rendering the demo pretty much unplayable.

I realize that this is only a tech demo, but still, these are things that I feel should've been fixed before tech demo release.

Macauley

Spirit
Backer
Aug 9, 2012
England, Manchester
www.twitch.tv
But then i clicked another wall and all the minions kept running into it, and I couldn't stop em!
Similar issue but was fixed temporarily when I got them to digg another block instead.
Just the way the game looks makes me very happy.
Especially to see that it follows true to Dungeon Keeper style, most of my worries are gone. Keep up the great work guys!
You can count on my money when you get that kickstarter going and I can help promote the game on youtube/my stream if you guys need it.

Framerate gets a massive, massive hit when workers try digging something out - rendering the demo pretty much unplayable.
I didn't get this since my machine is reasonably powerfull.

Jul 7, 2012
Belgium
So far I like the demo:) very Dk-like, as I, and I think the others as well, wanted:) also credits to the music creators, nice ambient.
uuum plz don't ban me for spamming;)

Dec 11, 2011
Yes, yes! VERY nice. I think it is looking terrific. I also want to compliment the music too and the dark look you are maintaining.

I will certainly make a donation in kickstarter for this.

Kickstarter suggestions:
1.) Early bird donations for better deal. Will help get a quick boost to the overall goal and let people not familiar with the game to see that people are donating support.
2.) Reach out to the fans of Dungeon Keeper and really hit this home. Then show us why it will be a spiritual successor, including what you liked most about that game along with why people have been doing it wrong since (DUNGEONS?). Part of the tremendous success of Project Eternity s they had established makers of these games participating. But they emphasized strongly that it was the infinity engine games that they were working towards. There are many fans of Dungeon Keeper craving this sort of game that is War for the Overworld.

Tech Demo:
Nice to see things coming together. Loved the style and music even this early. One thing I hope to see is maybe some underground ecology with fungus, or dripping water, roots... sprinkled randomly to break up the repetitive tiles. Maybe as a dungeon evolves and walls are built we can see more uniform struncture, but would be nice to see how a rough cut dungeon looks to an established one.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
As nice as it looked an all, and I know this isn't exactly supposed to be bug free, but i sent my little chaps to a wall, bam. they took it. fair enough.
They just kept coming and coming and running into this wall, not doing anything.
Keep up the good work, i await this games progress!
Pretty cool.

Tech demo does have some significant issues, though.
  • Workers utterly fail to find working areas about 90% of the time.
  • Even if they do reach their destinations (more or less), they commonly tend to just run around back and forth without achieving anything.
  • Framerate gets a massive, massive hit when workers try digging something out - rendering the demo pretty much unplayable.
I realize that this is only a tech demo, but still, these are things that I feel should've been fixed before tech demo release.
Yup, we know there are pathing issues as this build is using an old map system (this was the reason for the hold up - we're still putting the new system together to fix these issues), hence all the disclaimers :p

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I am very impressed with that ambient music, its ambient without doubt, but still exciting, very good! Nice work with the dungeon heart too, it looks very original but is clearing a heart. The view options are good. I very much like how you can use the num-pad to change the view, it makes sense really (although somehow to me it would make more sense if it worked like 1 & 3 are zoom and 7 & 9 are pan left/right because then you can press the pan key in the direction you want to go).

Just wondering, is the juggernaut controllable/autonomous or is he just chilling there for now?

I had that trouble too, I closed and reopened a couple of times, on the third go I had the task manager open to look at the 'Performance'...now works smooth like peanut butter on a slice of bread.

So, yep, good work!

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
If I may make a suggestion for the future while it comes to mind, perhaps the '5' key on the num-pad could a a view re-set hotkey, could be quite useful :)

Top Bottom