• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #8 - The Tech Demo

Nov 10, 2011
The Netherlands
I didn't get this since my machine is reasonably powerfull.
I'm using a machine with an Intel Core i7-3610QM processor - should be well into the realm of "reasonably powerful". Performance dropped to roughly 2 FPS when I tagged some blocks and the workers started coming in to attempt to dig.

Jul 13, 2012
Just to get a better view of the tech demo:

I really feel this can be more considered a proof of concept. It was utilizing a base AI/Pathfinding system that was inadequate for the game style of DK. This resulted in what you see in the tech demo where once you begin digging, they have a hard time properly understanding where to go, and that new areas have been dug out. Initial AI/Pathing in the game worked great when the initial workers go and claim land.

One of the biggest hurdles we've had to overcome is getting an AI system, along with proper Pathfinding, to understand that the game dynamically changes at runtime. Between digging areas, placing rooms that change the ground height, bridges, etc., the pathfinding needs to be able to compensate.

Later builds (tech demo was an early fork from two and a half months ago codenamed "170" by the team due to its revision) have resolved this problem but they were not at a state of being able to show the same content as this one until around January due to complete rewrites of key systems like the AI that are still being worked on. We made a decision to do what we could to incorporate our latest assets in 170, as well as tweak as much of the code as was feasibly possible in the build, in order to provide a sneak peak of some of the aimed gameplay functionality as well as the assets and audio. And remember, this was a build from months ago. A lot (and that is an understatement) has happened since then and now. :)

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I'm using a machine with an Intel Core i7-3610QM processor - should be well into the realm of "reasonably powerful". Performance dropped to single-digit FPS at best when I tagged some blocks and the workers started coming in to attempt to dig.
This is again down to the old map system, in future we won't have these problems.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Is it me or are the imps very small ? (not launched demo yet)
I do agree, I noticed that. I figured that compared to DK, the view is further out, which might explain that. Tile size seems to be larger than DK though which I would imagine gives the imps the appearance of being small. That said, they perhaps could be made a bit larger.

-edit: actually, compared to the juggernaut, they are actually very small :)

Sep 11, 2012
Just want to say that I tried the Tech demo out real quick, and I liked what I saw, in the meaning of models and textures, there were some bugs with the imps taking orders and running into each other.
But in my experience a very good start, Keep up the good work guys!! :D

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Just a heads up in case anyone else is getting lag, after a bit of testing, the lag only seems to happen when you have a large quantity of imps in near proximity.

Zomboden

Warden
WFTO Backer
Feb 5, 2012
USA
Hey, I liked the tech demo it was really well done... despite some of the errors; however, I tried so hard to get that gold/iron/mineral block but just couldn't do it... also I have some quick questions:
1. What is the total goal on Kickstarter?
2. Will imps be bigger?
3. Will there be future demos as the game progresses (obviously not giving out the whole game for free)
4. In a scenario where you guys make say 1/4 to 1/2 of the kickstarter amount, will that end up completely canceling the project or will it make the future product cost more? (I would pay 60 dollars or more for it... but don't take that as advice because a large price will be a turnoff more than likely)
5. Steam?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Hey, I liked the tech demo it was really well done... despite some of the errors; however, I tried so hard to get that gold/iron/mineral block but just couldn't do it... also I have some quick questions:
1. What is the total goal on Kickstarter?
2. Will imps be bigger?
3. Will there be future demos as the game progresses (obviously not giving out the whole game for free)
4. In a scenario where you guys make say 1/4 to 1/2 of the kickstarter amount, will that end up completely canceling the project or will it make the future product cost more? (I would pay 60 dollars or more for it... but don't take that as advice because a large price will be a turnoff more than likely)
  1. We haven't finalised this but it'll be comparable to other games of a similar scope.
  2. Maybe. We're discussing this right now but they are that size for a reason (which will become apparent in the future).
  3. Post-Kickstarter, yes.
  4. Our initial goal and costs are actually going to be quite low and we have a lot planned in order to ensure we hit our goal. It is possible that we won't hit it, but we have a huge amount riding on us succeeding right now so hopefully that won't be the case!
Edit: Steam: We are planning to post WFTO on Greenlight when we launch our Kickstarter campaign.

Zomboden

Warden
WFTO Backer
Feb 5, 2012
USA
  1. We haven't finalised this but it'll be comparable to other games of a similar scope.
  2. Maybe. We're discussing this right now but they are that size for a reason (which will become apparent in the future).
  3. Post-Kickstarter, yes.
  4. Our initial goal and costs are actually going to be quite low and we have a lot planned in order to ensure we hit our goal. It is possible that we won't hit it, but we have a huge amount riding on us succeeding right now so hopefully that won't be the case!
Edit: Steam: We are planning to post WFTO on Greenlight when we launch our Kickstarter campaign.
Sounds good, can't wait... been playing some old DK 2 wishing it had 1920x1080 worked with HD 1080p and had customizable controls (to a modern day extent meaning I can use my naga to scroll up and down and move camera etc. hotkeys) and acceptable graphics in this age :D (Still planning on this being able to be multiplayer as in online matchmaking etc? If that was planned not sure if I am just coming up with it myself though I saw multiplayer around there somewhere in the past year xD)

sukhonali

Bafu
WFTO Founder
Dec 19, 2011
So far this is the best update I have seen :rolleyes: , no matter what set backs the demo contains it is still awesome, the dungeon heart looks pretty amazing and the imps regardless of their size, looking forward for the kickstarter and voting for the steam green light, keep up the amazing work :)

I found that holding left click on a tile will freshen up the imp's responsiveness and will cure fps drop :D

Jul 13, 2012
@Wonderboy2402: Yes, one big aspect of our current builds was incorporating the data coming from Dungeoneer (or map/mod editor) into the game itself. The 170 tech build was built entirely within Unity, which really limited what could be done in the game. Between updates to Dungeoneer, and changes to the base code for the game, we're expecting some really amazing things over the next handful of builds.

Also, they don't let me out of the cave often to post but I also can't rule out that if the current builds catch up to the base functionality of the tech demo, we can definitely switch out the current tech demo with one utilizing the new code base. This would provide both full asset support (resolving some issues in the tech demo with regards to corners, pillars, and wall segments), as well as proper AI and pathfinding. Obviously this is no specific ETA as it depends if this functionality was working prior to when Kyle and Josh plan any releases post-Kickstarter. If this becomes a possibility, they will let everyone know in news posts. :)

Nov 2, 2012
Milan, Italy
Nice demo, i like the sound and the gamestyle. My only complaint is the size of the minions , i wish they was a little bigger. Keep up the good work! (sry for the grammar but english is not my first language ^_^)

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Played a little of the demo. I understand it's a only tech demo so judging it via pros and cons could be a bit harsh, but I'll do so anyway. I'll try to not include bugs, where possible.

I'll start with the cons, to end on a high.
- Not a fan of the size of the imps, thought they could be a little bigger. I'm unsure whether this is just for the imps, as the...statue?...of the Juggernaut near the heart seems to be scaled appropriately.
- Seeing as this is a tech demo, I saw it as a chance for you to show off the digging and claiming of tiles. For this reason, I expected this part to be completed but far from polished. However, I found it difficult to instruct my imps to dig and tile claiming, it seems, is none existent.

Now for the pros.
- Love the music, really sets the mood.
- The Dungeon Heart looks awesome.
- The Juggernaut looks awesome.

All I have at the moment, couldn't really get into the game due to the bugs. :(

Jun 28, 2012
OMG HOW DID I NOT CHECK YESTERDAY!? Herpaderp. Anyway, It is very early and was kinda hopin for digging to work better but its still fun. I really wish you made a marker/highlight to show what tiles are/will be dug

Top Bottom