• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Development Diary #9 - The Calm Before The Storm

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Whats wrong with kickstarters payment system? I find it easy to use and like it alot :) I just have to pledge and everything is automatic (more or less) ^^ (Not automatic the first time ofc)
It's mainly a problem with US-based projects as they use Amazon Payments. UK-based projects don't do that, it goes directly through Kickstarter, but we will also be allowing Paypal pledges (however, it won't be available straight away - and might not be up until after the main campaign).

As for the lack of update: I didn't really want to post another non-update as there wasn't a huge amount to say other than "we have had some very very minor issues and Kickstarter isn't quite ready - we will be back with you very soon".

I did post this little picture in the pre-update discussion thread though.

Edit: Have something else :)

QUESTIONMARK.png

Jan 16, 2012
It's mainly a problem with US-based projects as they use Amazon Payments. UK-based projects don't do that, it goes directly through Kickstarter, but we will also be allowing Paypal pledges (however, it won't be available straight away - and might not be up until after the main campaign).
humm forgot that they accept UK projects now. Well as long as they take the money out at time of pledge (like indiegogo) then I'm happy lol. Too many bad experiences where I forgot I had a pledge and used the money I set aside lol.

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
humm forgot that they accept UK projects now. Well as long as they take the money out at time of pledge (like indiegogo) then I'm happy lol. Too many bad experiences where I forgot I had a pledge and used the money I set aside lol.
From my understanding they don't. They only fund the project once it reaches it target. So for that reason it would add an additional layer of complexity if they took it out when you pledged. What would happen if the project didn't reach its target? They would have to refund everyone.

Just put it under your bed, we will come collect it.

Jan 16, 2012
From my understanding they don't. They only fund the project once it reaches it target. So for that reason it would add an additional layer of complexity if they took it out when you pledged. What would happen if the project didn't reach its target? They would have to refund everyone.

Just put it under your bed, we will come collect it.
lol, I understand the concept behind it, still doesn't stop me from liking indiegogo better. I get that its not an issue for those who pledge to credit card since it just goes on there but for those of us with a visa debit card >< been hit with way too many $60 NSF fee's :p. I think I'll just wait for the paypal option ^.^.

Norsa

Blood Imp
Nov 10, 2012
Take your time :) Better to do it right, than to do it fast! My money will be waiting for you regardless ^^

Norsa

Blood Imp
Nov 10, 2012
The amazing ending for Star Citizen shows that the time is right for this :) More people than ever know about kickstarter and crowd funding and i hope and believe this game will do well! They said space sims were dead, and still it made 6.2million dollars :eek: Thats siiiick!
Cant wait for you guys to start up (iknow iknow, ive said it many times before) ;)

Jul 13, 2012
The amazing ending for Star Citizen shows that the time is right for this :) More people than ever know about kickstarter and crowd funding and i hope and believe this game will do well! They said space sims were dead, and still it made 6.2million dollars :eek: Thats siiiick!
Cant wait for you guys to start up (iknow iknow, ive said it many times before) ;)
Yea I'm really excited for Star Citizen. I'm a huge fan of the X-series from Egosoft, and it will be nice to get another competitor in the genre to liven it up. Also really looking forward to X-Rebirth whenever its finished.

I know I speak for the team when I say we have some really exciting content for the Kickstarter campaign and beyond. And there is more to come throughout the entire campaign. Expect every day to be like the start of a new campaign. :)

Oct 26, 2012
India, Pune
Just a few suggestions -
1) Make sure you dont put too many restrictions or too few 'slabs' for level of contribution, since people from all over the world are very excited about this game, but a Dollar may not be as 'cheap' as it may for people from say for example in UK.
2) Also please start having promotions on different gaming website's launched all over the world to get more market penetration BEFORE you launch Kickstarter.
3) Many of the younger generation have not played the DK series, so maybe some kind of an updated teaser in the form of updated Demos for the Dungeon Keeper series of just a level or two for the existing OS can be launched first to run in the latest Windows and operating systems, to sort of form a co-relation, and whet their appetite as well
4) Hope you plan on making it available on as many different types of Operating Systems as many people dont use the latest version only.
5) Make sure that you get enough PR work done because you would be surprised as to how few people know about this game, and the market potential that is out there in different countries

Also while at it, please dont ever 'Dumb down the game' just so that the console gamers can also play it like many of the game makers have been tending to do and actually end up screwing up the game, for example the Command and conquer series and many EA Games like DragonAge. Remember the reason this game will be succesful is becaus it is in many ways in spirit like the original Dungeon Keeper, whcih somehow touched gamers in their heart, like no other game could either before or after it till now..

TheTailsEffect

Warden
WFTO Founder
Nov 20, 2012
United Kingdom
I can't wait for this to go live. After funding Maia I am quite dissapointed that it hasn't taken off. Hopefully when WFTO goes live and you show off some of the features and things then it will grab the attention it needs! Tweeting some magazines is my favorite way of getting attention for projects :) Promise a £60 donation!

TheTailsEffect

Warden
WFTO Founder
Nov 20, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm just looking forward to the stretch goals. They really fuel my love for Kickstarter. I suppose if you get more than you actually need that you'll be including some things like High-res textures?

Top Bottom