• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO: Translations

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Friendly reminder: It would probably be best to wait with the translation of the game files until the developers themselves ask for the translations.

The simple reason being: Between balance patches and/or new content, several lines that are currently in-game may be subject to change, so that any translation of them would have to be revised again and again. I don't mean to stifle your enthusiasm for the community translations, but I dare to say it would be extremely annoying for everyone involved if you repeatedly would have to check whether the original strings on which your translation is based have been changed.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Friendly reminder: It would probably be best to wait with the translation of the game files until the developers themselves ask for the translations.

The simple reason being: Between balance patches and/or new content, several lines that are currently in-game may be subject to change, so that any translation of them would have to be revised again and again. I don't mean to stifle your enthusiasm for the community translations, but I dare to say it would be extremely annoying for everyone involved if you repeatedly would have to check whether the original strings on which your translation is based have been changed.
I agree, but with this idea the game will always remain with bad translations .. at least until the dev continue to release new patches.

I am convinced that the dev should communicate the new strings, obviously I can not go looking for every time the new strings

must essereci collaboration on both sides otherwise this work does not make sense to exist.

Dec 12, 2015
France
I had a look to the file to translate few days ago.
Don't you think it should be easier for translaters to mount an online database with a small IHM, where we could see english strings, and write translations ?
I have already used this kind of thing, and it was really user-friendly.
Moreover, if you have, for the next patch, to take each translated file, and make a fusion, it should be very... complicated.
and translators could remove a "," or anything, that could make the translated file unusable.

what's your point of view ?

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
until the devs will not open official translations to the community, the game will continue to have a bad translation ...

I have translated more than 1500 line of text (some I've already put in this thread, but have not been included in the new build of the game).

I do not know if this project will fail or no. i hope not

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2015

Hi,

the problem I see is
- that the devs cant pull the latest translation they got from the community into the latest game version, because they have added themselves some new lines.
- as a result the community cannot update the translation before(!) the latest game version rolls out.

The solution could be that the devs update and publish their latest GameText.csv file on GitHub, on a Wiki, Dropbox, whatsoever...
The community could then do the localisation work and the devs could pull that stuff into the latest patch.

If a non destructive workflow like this could be implemented, I'd like to offer my help:

Nickname: JustChris
Language experience: German native, science student
Translation: English - German

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd drop in on top to give you all an update.

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who's signed up thus far, we really appreciate how much you'd like to see great translations in WFTO and we want to drive this forward to make WFTO truly enjoyable in all languages.

As you know we're not going to start officially on community translations until after Heart of Gold's release, the reasons for this are twofold; we want to avoid spoilers and we are rather swamped at all levels of our team right now so organizing the translation effort is low on our priorities. That's not to say we're not giving it some thought though.

Naturally we don't want our non-english players to suffer when they play Heart of Gold so I'm pleased to announce that we will be doing an official translation pass prior with a professional translation service prior to the release of Heart of Gold, we're hoping to include all currently google translated text as well. This should hopefully get the translation to an acceptable quality when Heart of Gold and Patch 1.4 release.

After release we'll be looking closely at organising the community translation. Ideally we'd like to set up special spreadsheets which signed up individuals can edit with their suggestions and then other auditors for that language can double check. We'd like to arrange translation keys by priority based on their status to best enable triage to the less aptly translated parts of the game.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience working on community translations before we'd love to hear your ideas and feedback on how best to proceed.

Cheers all!

If you need the game translated to Dutch, I'm available. Not that I know why anybody WOULD want WftO in Dutch, mind you.

Nickname: Nova Solarius
Language experience: native
Translation: English - Dutch

Speaking of which, wouldn't it make more sense to switch the language and experience level around? Might just be me.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2015
Nickname: Böhser Onkel [AUT]
Language experience: native
Translation: English - Austrian

I would voluntierly translate the game in a mixture of multiple austrian dialekts.
I speak Oberösterreicherisch, Wienerisch, Steirisch and I know Burgenländisch pretty well and because these dialekts are very similar so they shouldn't have any problems to understand that, further to I grew up in an area where we used to speak a mixture of Burgenländisch, Steirisch and Niederösterreichisch (I would say it's very similar to Oberösterreichisch with a bit Wienerisch)

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Böhser thanks for your time :)

I would like to ask a question to the devs ..
there is some news on the WFTO wiki?
if the answer is positive, we can help them even with translations;)

Aug 18, 2015
As you know I'm no Dev, but I have Infos about the Wiki.
The Wiki is still low priority, but on the to-do list, but as you know Fireeye and I created threats and guids to compensate this lack ;)

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
Böhser thanks for your time :)

I would like to ask a question to the devs ..
there is some news on the WFTO wiki?
if the answer is positive, we can help them even with translations;)
The Wiki likely will be postponed until HoG releases to decrease the amount of re-editing needed. That being said, I've already asked around whether I can do some basic legwork regarding it's infrastructure.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Hi Guys,
If anyone has any suggestions or experience working on community translations before we'd love to hear your ideas and feedback on how best to proceed.

Cheers all!

time ago I used Google Drive for an online translation of the wiki for a game called Goblin Keeper(Night Owl Games/gameforge)

your translation file has extension .XML so. I think it's compatible with Google Drive :)

P.S. but hey, don't ask me to translate Italian > English :p.... only English > Italian (I know it seems odd :grumpy:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom