• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO: Translations

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hello Folks,

We've just had a big meeting and one of the subject we touched on was community translation. We're planning out where we want to take this and how we can make it easier for you guys.

So here's what I have for you in easy to digest bullet point format:

• We're looking at finding the best way to manage this
  • We've taken note of your request to keep separate files, we'll have to switch the way we do it now to be more modular. When we make this available we'll provide a template with all the keys and you can just fill them in, drop it into the folder and it should work.
  • We're looking at implementing Workshop support so other members of the community can download your translations, this will also work as a community vetting tool so good translations get upovtes!
  • Community translations will be able to default to an official translation (such as french or the google translated russian) if a key is missing, that way when we add keys there will at least be something there, assuming your language is or was supported previously
  • We may consider translating store pages for languages which have community translations and if a translation is well received enough we may consider making it official. This will increase exposure in those languages.
  • It's also possible we might just translate store pages into a lot of languages and point people towards the translation effort.
  • We will be opening a translation forum where you can get together with like minded individuals and share you work for feedback purposes. We'll also be using this to make announcements such as when new keys are added to the game.
  • We expect this process to start with the next major update (1.5) this will give us the time we need to make all the back end changes. Ready for you!

In the meantime you're welcome to translate the existing files to get a head start. Just make sure that keys and text line up, it doesn't matter what order they're in but they should be in the same line.

If there's anything in particular you feel would be good to have then please let me know. We'll also be announcing the start of the effort once everything is in place.

I will look towards opening the new forum section in the coming weeks as well.

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
sorry for the double post ...

I would suggest this method for translation of the community ... using google drive you can easily manage the translation ..
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LuLyuF2bfx4QXZUtU3W_-U0z7TzQf34Bx-nif4yLEDY/edit?usp=sharing

I think this is the easiest method to open as soon as the community translation
We'll likely provide the templates via Google Drive (That's how we manage it internally anyway). It will be up to the community to self-determine how best they want to handle it from there. :)

Dec 29, 2013
Belarus
My five coins:

Easy for independent translators & ordinary peoples.
Not easy for relly interested peoples. Not easy for programmers.

Double working (for relly interested peoples):

1. Change text locally and check how good is displayed (maybe some fields is narrow to accommodate new text).
2. Modify google drive template.

Unknown time for public applying patch.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
A personal word on the German translation - assuming there are others who are willing to look into it (I'm kind of busy with other stuff for the time being), it would be very nice if the game would use "Ihr/Euer" instead of "Du/Dein" when addressing the player. The former would be more fitting as it is a honorary form, and the Underlord is, after all, a Dark Lord (or Lady).

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
IT translation update

Alexandra and I, we have translated about 2500 lines of text :) in summer, considering the limited time available for me is a very good result ^^

I would like to point out to developers that there are some translation discrepancies (in ENG) for example ...

2126 line:
Create an additional worker for you to command. Each worker summoned after your default 5 locks 50 Mana. Can only be used Within your own territory.

locks 75 mana now not 50 :) I corrected it

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I would like to point out to developers that there are some translation discrepancies (in ENG) for example ...

2126 line:
Create an additional worker for you to command. Each worker summoned after your default 5 locks 50 Mana. Can only be used Within your own territory.

locks 75 mana now not 50 :) I corrected it
Hmmm 50 is the correct value, it does cost 75 to cast but 50 is the amount that each new worker locks.

Nice to hear you're making progress though! :) I'll likely open a new forum entirely for community translation efforts. If I was to do so what would you guys like to see? Individual language sub-forums or just a general forum for community translations?

Feb 2, 2016
Nickname: ZzZombo.
Language experience: I dunno, what do you mean? I'm a currently inactive Steam translator on Steam Translation server, translated/corrected over few thousand Russian entries for DotA 2, Steam, and other applications there. I also used to participate in Translatewiki (translatewiki.net), helping to localize MediaWiki and powered by it Wikimedia projects. I'm fairly fluent in English, and could work on improving both English and Russian versions of the game.
Translation: English-Russian. As stated, I can improve existing English text, as I've already spotted some mistakes and typos in the game.

Tim White

Writer, Designer
Brightrock Games
Apr 26, 2016
Hey ZzZombo, pleased to meet you! I'm Tim, the writer at Brightrock. Regarding the typos and mistakes in the English text, I'm going to fix them soon, to go out with one of the upcoming patches. I worked on the Heart of Gold expansion (which is hopefully mostly typo free!) but not the main game - so I'm basically going to blitz the entire text library, which should catch most remaining issues.

That said, if you do spot anything and would like to report it, please drop a ticket into our Bug Tracker (I see you're already familiar with it) and I'll get it fixed :)

Thanks for your help!
Tim

Feb 2, 2016
Hello, Tim. I don't want to open a ticket for a pretty vague issue: some of uses of "its" and "it's" in lines are backwards, i. e. "its" when "it's" is needed. I suggest you to check all tips and Mentor's close captions for those, as it's where I noticed such typos.

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hello, Tim. I don't want to open a ticket for a pretty vague issue: some of uses of "its" and "it's" in lines are backwards, i. e. "its" when "it's" is needed. I suggest you to check all tips and Mentor's close captions for those, as it's where I noticed such typos.
This sounds like a me thing. I probably wrote those. I'm terrible at my its and it's.

Top Bottom