• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO: Translations

Feb 2, 2016
It just struck me, why don't you use Steam Translation Server? Granted, the Russian moderation team there is terrible (so I would rather not to go back there again; although chances are they would just let me and others do our thing w/o bothering us much for this game), but for other languages I can see it working.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Hello Folks,

We've just had a big meeting and one of the subject we touched on was community translation. We're planning out where we want to take this and how we can make it easier for you guys.

So here's what I have for you in easy to digest bullet point format:

• We're looking at finding the best way to manage this
  • We've taken note of your request to keep separate files, we'll have to switch the way we do it now to be more modular. When we make this available we'll provide a template with all the keys and you can just fill them in, drop it into the folder and it should work.
  • We're looking at implementing Workshop support so other members of the community can download your translations, this will also work as a community vetting tool so good translations get upovtes!
  • Community translations will be able to default to an official translation (such as french or the google translated russian) if a key is missing, that way when we add keys there will at least be something there, assuming your language is or was supported previously
  • We may consider translating store pages for languages which have community translations and if a translation is well received enough we may consider making it official. This will increase exposure in those languages.
  • It's also possible we might just translate store pages into a lot of languages and point people towards the translation effort.
  • We will be opening a translation forum where you can get together with like minded individuals and share you work for feedback purposes. We'll also be using this to make announcements such as when new keys are added to the game.
  • We expect this process to start with the next major update (1.5) this will give us the time we need to make all the back end changes. Ready for you!

In the meantime you're welcome to translate the existing files to get a head start. Just make sure that keys and text line up, it doesn't matter what order they're in but they should be in the same line.

If there's anything in particular you feel would be good to have then please let me know. We'll also be announcing the start of the effort once everything is in place.

I will look towards opening the new forum section in the coming weeks as well.
some news about it?

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
really?

We will be opening a translation forum where you can get together with like minded individuals and share you work for feedback purposes. We'll also be using this to make announcements such as when new keys are added to the game.
is easy to achieve ... I don't think you have to wait patch 1.5 for this ....

Tim White

Writer, Designer
Brightrock Games
Apr 26, 2016
Hello, Tim. I don't want to open a ticket for a pretty vague issue: some of uses of "its" and "it's" in lines are backwards, i. e. "its" when "it's" is needed. I suggest you to check all tips and Mentor's close captions for those, as it's where I noticed such typos.
Hi ZzZombo, just to let you know I've fixed all the "it's" and "its" issues I could find in the text, which should be going out in an upcoming patch :)

SADevil

Templar
WFTO Backer
Jan 7, 2013
Russia, Nizhny Novgorod
vk.com
Is it planned to translate the patch notes into other languages?
There are patch notes in Russian, but I don't know about other languages. I think it is for us to translate them, because translation isn't free, or some developers would need to spend their time to translate patch notes to their native language (we know Brightrock is pretty international), but this means less time for what they better be doing (like developing things).

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
That's right unfortunately it's not financially viable for us to translate patch notes into other languages, especially as we tend to have some fairly significant patches and localisation costs are on a per word basis. :) SADevil's assumption is correct that diverting resources from our team to translate is possible but would cost us much more in terms of their time than would be effective.

Definitely wish we could do this to be honest and it's great to hear that some communities have stepped up into the plate to fill the gap. Really impressed with the Russian release notes! :)

Meickel

Priestess
Mar 3, 2015
Austria
I would do it in German but unfortunately my English isnt that good as I thought it is xD
Maybe there is someone who would be better suited for this job :p

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Hi Guys,

As you may have seen in our latest post we're starting to get ready for rolling out Community Translations in patch 1.5. I'll hopefully be getting all the documentation ready and rejigging the forums next week. I'll keep you informed :)

Might even be able to get them out before the patch!

Cheers,

Lee

Kaguya

Dwarven Worker
Dec 6, 2016
Parts Unknown
I am a Chinese and interested in doing simplified Chinese translation, but I do not see simplified Chinese in the list of language support. Do you plan to make a simplified Chinese translation? Many Chinese Dungeon Keeper fans are looking forward to WFTO and they really want Chinese translation.

Nickname: Kaguya
Language experience: Translated unofficially subtitle Add-on of Elder Scrolls Online and several Minecraft mods
Translation: English - Chinese

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
@Kaguya Nice to meet you and thanks for your interest.

We currently have no plans to expand official language support beyond French and German, so the floor is most certainly open for a community translation into simplified Chinese. :)

Kaguya

Dwarven Worker
Dec 6, 2016
Parts Unknown
@Kaguya Nice to meet you and thanks for your interest.

We currently have no plans to expand official language support beyond French and German, so the floor is most certainly open for a community translation into simplified Chinese. :)
Nice to meet you, Noontide. I am glad to help WFTO community translation, but I have some questions. Do you currently use Google Doc(the posted link) to manage translation work? Is it better to wait for Patch 1.5 release before translating? Or will you start a post about community translation after Patch 1.5 release?

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Nice to meet you, Noontide. I am glad to help WFTO community translation, but I have some questions. Do you currently use Google Doc(the posted link) to manage translation work? Is it better to wait for Patch 1.5 release before translating? Or will you start a post about community translation after Patch 1.5 release?
When Patch 1.5 goes live there will be a new system in place to manage translation work. A few details are available in this news post. https://wftogame.com/patch-1-5-preview-2-community-translations/

Noontide

Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
When Patch 1.5 Releases. There will be a new template document that you can use to translate. You'll be able to drop this file into one of the game's folders in .CSV format, remove the english lines from it and then upload it to the workshop from the Game's menus.

I'll be fully documenting all of this for Patch 1.5's release :) Would like to get it out sooner but lots of work on right at this moment.

Top Bottom