1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WFTO Wednesday #102: Brace Yourselves

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Noontide, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

2. Triscopic

Triscopic Gargoyle Backer

This is awesome. Good work guys!

3. Tommonius

Tommonius Skarg Backer

Huzzah! *throws confetti*

Cannot wait to sink my teeth into this.

Quick question about the old maps, I know you said they were going to be scrapped but could they be kept as tutorials? I only ask as the voice acting from the enemies was fairly good and it would be a shame to just chuck it away.

4. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

We're actually removing them purely because they weren't working any more due to all the gameplay changes we made (example: wooden door is now free and not in the Veins, breaking a big chunk of the tutorial). We'd rather not pump time into maintaining these when we could be working on the final product :)

mrtnptrs likes this.
  5. Tommonius

Tommonius Skarg Backer

fair enough, just hope at some point I can hear Rhaskos's voice again as he sounded amazing!

6. mishko

mishko Matriarch Founder

It's great how much work is being put into this game. But I am still slightly skeptical about a February release date.

7. thelemite

thelemite Disciple

this is sweet looks like it is about time too start learning the game.:)

8. AvatarIII

Bloody hell, another livestream I can't watch, I'm at my work's Christmas party that night :( everything else is AMAZING though.

9. rhasta

rhasta Warden

when is the patch coming out?

10. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

Finally. You guys did what you had to do in the first place, instead of wasting time on multiplayer and other meaningless stuff.

I'll patiently wait for this patch, at least it will deliver content I've been looking for so far.

11. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

Hopefully this will appease all the people who complained about having to play multiplay....oh, no offense, Slichizard.

That being said, I'm also looking forward to see the design of the early campaign levels. It should give a good outlook on the quality of the finished product (though it naturally still is a WIP until the actual launch).

12. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

I never complained about being forced to play MP. My complain was about MP being incomplete and barely playable.

Nevermind though, the Single Player content - Campaign and Skirmish are what I'm looking for, so I'm glad to see devs took this direction, instead of spending any more time on multiplayer at this stage of the development.

13. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

To be honest, the "complaining" part was more directed to the people on the Steam forums (in particular one individual which afaik has been banned from discussion), but again, I'm also happy to see more singleplayer content.

Slichizard likes this.
  14. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

I'd like to add that I do hope there will be some sort of dedicated topic specifically for AI discussion. AI improvements are very important for Single Player and require specific approach for certain cases, especially when things require some complex coding or alternative forms of implementation.

15. Nimeroni

Nimeroni Disciple

16. Antking

Antking Skarg

I think it is likely that we will hear him again, since he does say something along the lines of "I will return for my vengeance!" when he is defeated :).

Yeah, the livestrean is scheduled to start 1( ONE!) hour before school is out for Christmas break where I am :p. I'll probably be able to catch at least the last hour or so if it, maybe.

17. p0p218

p0p218 Disciple

brace yourself.
    whatever is coming.
    for some reason

18. Hoky

Hoky Bloodling

Nice work! Looks great!
    But one question concerning the minions: Is it possible to prevent the minions to clip into each other while fighting?
    Ich would think that it would improve the atmosphere of the game even more! ;)
    Never mind if it is on purpose!

19. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

We'll be releasing the patch before the end of the year :)

It was always our intention to come back to the AI for 0.6.0, if you imagine the major project milestones were first implementation of Multiplayer of 0.5.0 then the major milestone for 0.6.0 was first implementation of skirmish AI.

The big reason for leaving it so long is it's much easier to develop an AI that is able to account for all eventualities if more of the content is implemented. Much like saving and loading, if you develop it prior to the release of other content you may have to recode core parts of it each time new elements are added to the game. Essentially it's simply more efficient to develop both of these after most other content is already in the game.

rhasta likes this.
  20. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

It would be, but not when half of gameplay got recently revamped completely. Since Single Player content includes Campaign and Campaign requires AI, it would make more sense to focus on these things as soon as content implementation was done. Simply speaking, Campaign/Skirmish are more tied together than Multiplayer, so they are better be done before MP development takes place. Also the majority of people prefer these two over multiplayer, if you want to appease crowd, it's easier this way.