• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #112: Performance & Flex-goal vote

Jan 3, 2013
So I take we can get 0.7 somewhere between 15 - 20 of March, right? I also presume you guys finished campaign and now try to optimize it so it doesn't lag on some machines?

Jan 3, 2013
While we are discussing improvements - may I ask what will be done about Lava? Right now it looks like a bloody water, when we will see new Lava animations?

Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for screenshot/video.

However, I still wonder if Lava animations will be slightly improved? These ones don't look ''realistic'' enough. Also as far as I know, Blood wasn't properly introduced yet, right?

Skorp

Gargoyle
Feb 1, 2014

However, I still wonder if Lava animations will be slightly improved? These ones don't look ''realistic'' enough. Also as far as I know, Blood wasn't properly introduced yet, right?
Realistic? You know that "realistic" lava would kill any living creature that comes close ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection)? Or that depending of the temperature lava can look like boiling red water or a slow grey blob?

Since the first time that lava was introduced to video games I can't think of a single time were it looks like actual lava or magma because in real life they are pretty boring and you would die long before getting close. I found that the best way to enjoy the "realism" is to assume that in this universe lava works differently than in our world, so in this case I can't find any problems about the current texture of lava in the game.

Jan 3, 2013
Realistic? You know that "realistic" lava would kill any living creature that comes close ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ConvectionSchmonvection)? Or that depending of the temperature lava can look like boiling red water or a slow grey blob?

Since the first time that lava was introduced to video games I can't think of a single time were it looks like actual lava or magma because in real life they are pretty boring and you would die long before getting close. I found that the best way to enjoy the "realism" is to assume that in this universe lava works differently than in our world, so in this case I can't find any problems about the current texture of lava in the game.
I never meant that sort of realism to begin with.

This lava doesn't look ''animated'' enough. Random eruptions, lava bubbles and steam effect would make it more live.

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
initial intro fits my Underlord backstory! *commences frothing at the mouth with excitement*

Also, in the yogscast vids, is Hannah playing on a visually unpolished build or something? Seems really washed out color wise compared to some of the juicy screenshots ive seen recently.

Last edited:

Krieg

Templar
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
Italy
I watched the Youtuber preview livestream highlights and the build seemed pretty cool. I'm a bit worried about the AI, but I hope it will get another pass as suggested in the team's video comments.

Even if I'm not really sure how you could prevent in a solid way the situation displayed at the end of the stream.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
So I take we can get 0.7 somewhere between 15 - 20 of March, right? I also presume you guys finished campaign and now try to optimize it so it doesn't lag on some machines?
Correct - possibly a tad earlier. From a gameplay standpoint we're feature complete now, we're mainly working on optimisation, fixes, tweaks, asset integration, and general polish.
GODDAMMIT! :(

That said, enhanced survival will most likely improve the replayability of the game...and that's a good thing! :)
Part of me feels that Survival will actually end up being the best part of the game.

Lava will be prettier.
I watched the Youtuber preview livestream highlights and the build seemed pretty cool. I'm a bit worried about the AI, but I hope it will get another pass as suggested in the team's video comments.

Even if I'm not really sure how you could prevent in a solid way the situation displayed at the end of the stream.
We're making some tweaks to how units select their targets in combat to improve this (as well as doing a balance pass to certain maps).

Top Bottom