• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #15

Zomboden

Warden
Backer
Feb 5, 2012
USA
Loving the ugly monsters, gives me an evil feel. I also enjoy the change from Blood To Mana and Heart to Nexus because for me, mana & nexus compare more with a magical world (which I what I see Dungeon Keeper as) instead of a cult

Apr 17, 2013
Parts Unknown
Gotta say, I don't like the look of the creature. Feels too humanoid for the farting unit. Also has rhyno feet and kinda like a sock on its head. What I would consider a good farting monster would be a ball of meat that's stitched together and has flies and slime and stink oozing out through the cuts, rolls around with no limbs or face, but when it eats/attacks, a mouth would open up in that direction

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I must admit, I will be sad to see the blood theme go, I thought it was cool. Mana is good though, don't me wrong (original and best etc). The one real thing which I feel might be a shame to lose is the name 'dungeon heart'. I can see your point, with the fact it relates to blood so it should be changed, but I just don't feel 'nexus' quite has the same meaning that 'dungeon heart' did. I mean, 'dungeon heart' literally was 'the heart of the dungeon' (in a central sense, not necessarily a blood sense). Nexus just doesn't quite feel like it has the same central meaning. Also, to my knowledge, no other game had a 'dungeon heart' (at least before Dungeon Keeper) which makes it a very iconic aspect of Dungeon Keeper. I rather feel that 'Nexus' is a rather less memorable and common name for things within games. It would be nice to give the central and most important 'thing' within War for the Overworld a more unique and original title.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Also...can someone tell me please when I post stuff why the text size randomly changes throughout my writing? o_O (I've changed it all the same size now, but it does happen) :)

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Alas, this is one of those updates where I feel the need to be critical.

The Chunder is vile and disgusting as a unit of its type should be, but it also kind of looks like a guy in bad a rubber suit. The legs are quite skinny and don't match the rest of the body, so I have a hard time seeing how it could move. Maybe do away with the legs, or have the adult Chunder be so fat that it's legs are covered and it has to move like the Bile Demon did by using it's arms. The Chunderlings could be kept as is, since they are smaller/younger and probably haven't had the time to eat enough to get that fat.

In regards to the move away from the blood theme, I agree with doing so as a general principle for the reasons stated. However, I don't like the change of Dungeon Heart to being called a Nexus. DK2 had Dungeon Hearts that were an unholy amalgamation of flesh and stone, but the first one had Dungeon Hearts that were more like big magical artifacts made of crystal and gold, and ultimately neither game really had a blood theme. You're over thinking the matter, IMO. Something's "heart" can also refer to it's core, and the Dungeon Heart is undeniably the core of the dungeon. Additionally, regardless of the theme a particular Underlord has I still view dungeons as somewhat of an organism that represents the Underlord's body - the rooms are organs, the creatures are cells that perform various functions, and if you destroy the heart the whole organism dies. Calling it a Dungeon Heart fits rather well, regardless of the particular theme. And really, I just think "Dungeon Heart" sounds much, much cooler and interesting than "Nexus" does - "Nexus" sounds too generic.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Kind of agree... It looks like it would fall over if I leaned on it. Love the concept of a vile hammer headed tank, but chunder kind of reminds of 'gap yah' "I chundered everywhere"
Sorry that may sound harsh.
But as devoted fan, I feel any feedback should be purely honest. But I can only speak for myself.

Blizzard

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I have mixed feelings about this update
first one I do like the concept of the the chudder and doesn't resemble a boomer or bile demon rip off
BUT I do feel the dungeon heart should be kept since it can be just as metaphorical
also will blood magic still exist in the tech tree ?

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
One other thing on the Chunder - the body shape kind of makes it hard to visualize what it's size is compared to other creatures. It could be as short as a dwarf, for all I know.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Also, I am a little confused about the role of 'the veins of evil', which I presume is also going to be change due to its blood reference. Will we still have the same system under a different name or is that idea going to be removed?

Top Bottom