• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #15

Aelius

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 18, 2013
A Dungeon in Belgium
Am in a bit of an (unrelated) bad mood so if I seem to over-react, please let it slide.

Of all the things to rename and change, you change one of the things that I found to be set in stone. I like the "Dungeon Heart". I do not like the name "Nexus". Sorry, but it sounds lame and generic. Already gives me a feeling of distancing itself from being the Dungeon Keeper successor. I understand you've already had to change so much to keep in line with the copyright law but does this have to go too? I know it's Your own vision and you want it to have your personal "flavor", but I still don't like the taste of this last update.

*returns to a fetus position in the corner of his dungeon clawing at his mouth*

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Also, I am a little confused about the role of 'the veins of evil', which I presume is also going to be change due to its blood reference. Will we still have the same system under a different name or is that idea going to be removed?
Honestly I didn't even think of the blood connection on that until now - I had thought of them like veins in terms of minerals. Like a vein of gold. Because, you know, we're in the Underworld and do quite a bit of digging. Maybe it was an intentional double entendre?

Perhaps the Veins of Evil could be represented by certain minerals or metals, like gold for Greed, iron for Wrath, and some kind of strong stone (material for defensive walls) for Sloth.

Jan 6, 2013
I agree with Enjou that the change from "dungeon heart" seems unnecessary since dungeon hearts weren't always organic. I don't exactly mind the name "Nexus" but it does seem maybe overly generic.

On the other hand, I approve of the overall shift away from the "blood" theme. This wasn't mentioned but I hope this means "blood imps" will be changing to just "imps" (or something else maybe?) because having them be "blood imps" always seemed strange to me. Like, they're "blood imps" as opposed to what, regular imps that are lurking somewhere offscreen? Maybe that's just me.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Am in a bit of an (unrelated) bad mood so if I seem to over-react, please let it slide.

Of all the things to rename and change, you change one of the things that I found to be set in stone. I like the "Dungeon Heart". I do not like the name "Nexus". Sorry, but it sounds lame and generic. Already gives me a feeling of distancing itself from being the Dungeon Keeper successor. I understand you've already had to change so much to keep in line with the copyright law but does this have to go too? I know it's Your own vision and you want it to have your personal "flavor", but I still don't like the taste of this last update.

*returns to a fetus position in the corner of his dungeon clawing at his mouth*
Don't worry. This is for the most part just a naming convention. Most Nexus' will be heart-like, and the reason we went with a relatively general name was to allow for a wide range of possibilities.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Liking theChunder but as others have said the arms and legs seem skinny for such a fat creature, we need like vast rolls of flab on them limbs to really make him a presence, utterly huge in size and thoroughly entertaining to watch him waddle around and quiver like jelly as he does so : D

shame about the blood mage being scrapped but I beliee you guys when you say we are getting a better unit instead, fine with nexus and mana as default names so I assume we can have blood worshippers and maybe hero hearts not stuck with the same names as each other.

edit note: with Bloodlings being neutral does that mean everyone can attract them in portals or do we encounter them on the map?

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I'm sorry to say but I really dislike the Chunder's design. I find the overal design very ugly and dislike the giant hamer on his head...
ugly is fine (I found the Bile demon to be imensely cute for some reason) I just find the arms and legs out of place on such a big bellied creature, the hammer I admit I am not sure about one way or the other but I love it's huge mouth, eyes and elly that has almost crystaline features.

Aelius

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 18, 2013
A Dungeon in Belgium
Don't worry. This is for the most part just a naming convention. Most Nexus' will be heart-like, and the reason we went with a relatively general name was to allow for a wide range of possibilities.
Alright, so as I see it, the reason why you changed it to nexus is because some underlords will be a concept of their own. Making a Heart externally to them go against their "design". Like a giant banana underlord would have a giant banana shaped nexus of doom instead of a heart? and because the player has no in game character as such, perhaps we get to have a "nexus" dungeon heart design or something like that? I have utterly confused myself.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
sorry double post

okay that is cool then, will they be on every maop or be more rare, if they are going to be more rare then would they be stronger than originaly intended with new abilites other than "weak attack creature with a few buffs for the keeper"
Their presence is entirely up to the map designer, and their strength will be dependent on whatever level the map designer decides they should have ;)

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I support the Chunder's grossness (noticed it was picking its nose... Is this where Chunderlings come from) and the move away from the Blood as the overall theme (will no doubt see a surge of new ideas in the 'Design an Underlord / theme' post). I am also glad to know that the Bloodling will definitely be in the game. I was worried about the little... thing for a while. As for all those complaining about the Dungeon Heart becoming the Nexus, just mentally replace one with the other. I'm sure that the Dungeoneer will allow you, when making your own maps, to change the name back to Dungeon Heart... Maybe even let you do that for Official maps?...

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Alright, so as I see it, the reason why you changed it to nexus is because some underlords will be a concept of their own. Making a Heart externally to them go against their "design". Like a giant banana underlord would have a giant banana shaped nexus of doom instead of a heart? and because the player has no in game character as such, perhaps we get to have a "nexus" dungeon heart design or something like that? I have utterly confused myself.
I got lost after the bold part... but that part is correct, yes.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I'm liking this update. Chunder is certainly unique, even though it still obviously fulfills the Bile Demon's role. Will like playing with him. Also like the smaller updates. Good choices all-round that make sense, I reckon.

On another note - are we gonna get a Livestream in 30 mins, or was that just a one time thing 2 weeks back? I'm not actually sure what the 'idea' on that is.

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
I prefer heart over nexus, since the word captures what your heart is supposed to be. You can view the heart as something organic, but the word heart can be interpreted as somethings very essence, the center of its existance, its soul. The core at least covers the physical meaning of this, while nexus doesn't really make sense, unless underlords are transversal waves of the universe's evilness.
Nexus is really just a fancy word for a connection of many different things.
Instead, I like to think of your heart as the place, where your evil essence touches your dungeon and fills it with your unholy presence. If your heart is destroyed, you lose your connection to that part of the underworld and the dungeon will be abandoned.
It has some similarity to an organism, that runs on vice and grows aggessively, so heart is a good word for its focal point.
It is likely the most fitting word, for your dungeon's inner sanctum, so I would keep it, unless there is a pressing legal matter, that you wish to evade.
A Nexus is the place, where leylines intertwine. A Heart is the place where, according to philosophy, your essence rests.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I'm liking this update. Chunder is certainly unique, even though it still obviously fulfills the Bile Demon's role. Will like playing with him. Also like the smaller updates. Good choices all-round that make sense, I reckon.

On another note - are we gonna get a Livestream in 30 mins, or was that just a one time thing 2 weeks back? I'm not actually sure what the 'idea' on that is.
Livestreams will usually be announced a week in advance. When the beta starts we are likely to begin livestreaming on a more regular basis.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Alright, so I have seen Core mentioned several times as an alternative to Nexus, and it was actually an alternative we were considering. Which do people prefer? We're certainly open to discussing this :)
If you're asking, I think 'core' is more accurate. I'm assuming that with the 'vein' idea, a player going for a 'blood orientated build' will still get a proper 'heart' - 'nexus' could be reserved for a more 'magical' orientated build. In turn, a more trap/mechanical orientated build could get some kind of evil machine for a dungeon core, which could in turn be called something like a 'base' or 'kernel'. These things would feel like they make sense, while 'core' is a more overarching term that really encompasses all of names you could come up with.

Also, looks like I'll be closing down the WFTO stream then... gonna stay tuned, though :)

Edit: Simburgur, if I can give you a designing tip - simply googling synonyms for various words that you intend to use as names can work wonders. Not sure if it's of any use to you, but it really helps me when designing just about anything.

Top Bottom