• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #15

Aelius

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Jan 18, 2013
A Dungeon in Belgium
Of course, I prefer Dungeon Heart.
But if I got the choice between Dungeon Core or Nexus. I'd pick Dungeon Core.

On another note, I do like the new creature design. The Chunder looks kinda more cute than evil though, however I do like the built in hammer concept. I feel that the legs need a little more work. There's something off about the feet...

Jan 6, 2013
Alright, so I have seen Core mentioned several times as an alternative to Nexus, and it was actually an alternative we were considering. Which do people prefer? We're certainly open to discussing this :)
"Core" or "Dungeon Core?" (Either makes sense, I just like the "Dungeon X" type name.)

I still think "Dungeon Heart" works as a generic term since DK1 dungeon hearts looked like giant crystal balls - the name doesn't necessarily reflect an organic theme by itself so much as its function. But if you guys are dead set against it, I'm okay with "Core."

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Alright, so I have seen Core mentioned several times as an alternative to Nexus, and it was actually an alternative we were considering. Which do people prefer? We're certainly open to discussing this :)
I would much prefer Dungeon Core to Nexus.
That said, would the name still be open for debate? If so, perhaps over the next few days we could think of any alternate names we may feel appropriate for discussion?

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Their presence is entirely up to the map designer, and their strength will be dependent on whatever level the map designer decides they should have ;)
ah okay great, so they can be a real wildcard, I wonder if there might be other neutral units to be discovered and added to your forces?

Well I like nexus but am not afraid to call my heart a core by any means, I was wondering now we are considering differant terminology, are there going to be differant designs and names based on the veins of evil (forgot the correct name) path?

Also will this include religion, evil dieties that give boons if you pick them? I ask this as with blood now not the standard theme, I could get behind it being optional and there being a blood god...

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I like Core.

Would the name change depending on the Theme active, Sim?
In other words, will it become Heart in the Blood Theme, Nexus in a majorly magic-based theme etc.?

Will post any ideas I come up with for alternatives

Wice

Templar
WFTO Backer
May 2, 2012
The Netherlands
ugly is fine (I found the Bile demon to be imensely cute for some reason) I just find the arms and legs out of place on such a big bellied creature, the hammer I admit I am not sure about one way or the other but I love it's huge mouth, eyes and elly that has almost crystaline features.
I really liked the Bile demon. It was very cool and even though it was a hideaous creature, the design was good. This creature however, I find VERY unlikable (from my Underlord perspective, not from a hero perspective. Unlikable by heroes is good :p) and its design very ugly

EDIT:
Blegh, I hate sounding so negative about something, so to even out my true disliking of this creature's design, I'll add that it's the only thing about WftO that I don't like, loved everything else so far!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I like Core.

Would the name change depending on the Theme active, Sim?
In other words, will it become Heart in the Blood Theme, Nexus in a majorly magic-based theme etc.?

Will post any ideas I come up with for alternatives
Nah, but each theme's core/nexus/etc would have its own name. This name is more of a catch-all.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I really liked the Bile demon. It was very cool and even though it was a hideaous creature, the design was good. This creature however, I find VERY unlikable (from my Underlord perspective, not from a hero perspective. Unlikable by heroes is good :p) and its design very ugly
ah I see, I would like it to be fatter (the belly under the chin should sag a bit more maybe) with thicker limbs (all very doable) maybe add a giant horn in place of the hammer head thingy (though others may like it just fine as it is) and maybe more of those spikes on his chin all over him and give him a hard presence which would go well along with its size and weight.

I really love it's giant mouth though, love the idea of it drooling and possibly swallowing enemies whole, like the *don't give a F**k expression while picking s/he/it's nose (god if that thing is female...) wish the tongue was much longer though, have it roll out and lick anything to decide wherther it is worth chewing on.

Of course I got no idea yet if most like it's current design or not but I admit it has great potential and I am just glad we got an equivelant bile demon in the game.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Don't worry. This is for the most part just a naming convention. Most Nexus' will be heart-like, and the reason we went with a relatively general name was to allow for a wide range of possibilities.
If that was the case for tool-tips and text only it would work because those can be changed dynamically. But it's not the case because the narrator, in the glorious voice of Richard Ridings, will have to speak about it more than once. He's going to have to introduce it in whatever tutorial you have, he's going to have to say "Your Dungeon Heart/Nexus/Core/Banana is under attack" when it is, and anything else regarding it. There's also a number of funny comments in the suggestion threat for this narration that are based on the heart thing.

Like I said, heart can be a synonym for core or nexus or what have you. It doesn't have to mean a literal heart, so it works just as well for Underlords who don't have a literal heart based theme.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
So what will RR say? 'Heart' or 'nexus' (or 'core')? o_O
In the first level "This is your dungeon MISCELLANEOUS"

ah I see, I would like it to be fatter (the belly under the chin should sag a bit more maybe) with thicker limbs (all very doable) maybe add a giant horn in place of the hammer head thingy (though others may like it just fine as it is) and maybe more of those spikes on his chin all over him and give him a hard presence which would go well along with its size and weight.

I really love it's giant mouth though, love the idea of it drooling and possibly swallowing enemies whole, like the *don't give a F88k expression while picking s/he/it's nose (god if that thing is female...) wishe the tongue was much longer though, have it roll out and lick anything to decide wherther it is worth chewing on.

Of course I got no idea yet if most like it's current design or not but I admit it has great potential and I am just glad we got an equivelant bile demon in the game.
Give him the Great Goblin's beard... thing from The Hobbit.
I remember the 'How It Should Have Ended' crew called it something funny, but I can't remember what. It was in the first minute or so...

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
should we just hold a survey on what people would rather call the heart/nxus/core thingy? Personally I am biased as it was always the ehart in dungeon keeper and the idea that this pulsing orb was the source of my power and it's destruction would banish my soul always made sense to call it a heart even in DK1 where it was very unorganic in feeling.

Still Nexus is still good, Core distant third for me but I would get over it if it was the default name.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I also give you a quick pat on the back, Enjou *pats too hard, knocks Enjou through a wall* oops.
Ouch. Well, at least that's what I'd expect to happen when an Underlord pats another Underlord on the back - when Tommonius did it he didn't stab me, poison me, curse me, or violently maim me in any way.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Ouch. Well, at least that's what I'd expect to happen when an Underlord pats another Underlord on the back - when Tommonius did it he didn't stab me, poison me, curse me, or violently maim me in any way.
Maybe he slipped a sticky/time bomb onto your Cloak of Terror (which is just something I can imagine you wearing as smart-casual)

Although in the modern WftO universe, this would be a sweaty Chunder that had been given baked beans and onions

Top Bottom