• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

WFTO Wednesday #31: The Skarg

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
sooo this abyss tile, will it just be impassable or sort of like the Dungeon keeper temple where minions were sucked in (and my derpy minions always did that when praying for mana for me, 2 min after setting them to work, "the gods are pleased with your sacrifice" and there goes my Vampires...)

or will it be more like a void portal which minions fall in?

Also will we have abyss tile traps and/or will they just be littered around certain levels?
I didn't know that they were doing the Abyss tiles. I thought they had been canned... just like so many other things

Simburgur

Managing Director
Dev Team
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Bear in mind, water is only blue when it is deep or reflecting the sky, generally water is the colour is what it is reflecting, or what is in it. It wouldn't be green underground because no phytoplankton to make it green (because no sunlight), it wouldn't be blue because it's not deep, or reflecting the sky.
The only options are brown (muddy), clear (showing the texture of the ground below), or grey. Also if it were clear, chances are the ground beneath would be earth (brown) or rock (grey) anyway, and brown may not be a good idea, to make it easy to distinguish from normal ground on a glance, which pretty much only leaves grey.

Also remember all screenshots of water at this point are WIP.
Take your science elsewhere!

Bear in mind, water is only blue when it is deep or reflecting the sky, generally water is the colour is what it is reflecting, or what is in it. It wouldn't be green underground because no phytoplankton to make it green (because no sunlight), it wouldn't be blue because it's not deep, or reflecting the sky.
The only options are brown (muddy), clear (showing the texture of the ground below), or grey. Also if it were clear, chances are the ground beneath would be earth (brown) or rock (grey) anyway, and brown may not be a good idea, to make it easy to distinguish from normal ground on a glance, which pretty much only leaves.
That's right, water colour depends on what every part of water is reflecting. If water would be every time blue, then in my black cup I would see bluish walls on my cup, but still they have the same color, maybe little darker, but that's because water has it's amount of density. As density grows the opacity of thing goes to 0.

In DK series we had water reflecting ground surfaces, but only that, so it won't change it's color if a water tile would be between 100 lava tiles. Maybe on the bottom in beta there are glowing on blue micro monsters, dunno. ;)

The only options are brown (muddy), clear (showing the texture of the ground below), or grey. Also if it were clear, chances are the ground beneath would be earth (brown) or rock (grey) anyway, and brown may not be a good idea, to make it easy to distinguish from normal ground on a glance, which pretty much only leaves grey.

That said, Whaleshrooms do affect the water in many ways.
Because Whaleshrooms should affect all things in some way.

Jan 3, 2013
So... is the Whaleshroom actually in the game, or is it just you messing with our minds, like it was with Gnarlings working in the Tavern/Market etc...
Inb4 player getting rainbows and unicorns after eating one of those in possession mode.

As for water - I hope there will be some critters or other form of life in it. I always found empty clean water rather unrealistic, usually such places are filled with fishes and other small creatures, maybe mini-sharks or something.

Jan 7, 2012

He's right for me. The color option of the water could be a great feature of the mighty modding tool set you want to release with the game. So we can have the water in all colors of the rainbow and everyone should be happy :D

That said, Whaleshrooms do affect the water in many ways.
Because Whaleshrooms should affect all things in some way.
As for water - I hope there will be some critters or other form of life in it. I always found empty clean water rather unrealistic, usually such places are filled with fishes and other small creatures, maybe mini-sharks or something.
There will be, but only Whaleshrooms... Hmm doesn't it means that World if they are here is already doomed? So they couldn't be in game because the World is already destroyed...

Jan 3, 2013
You do know if you dont put em ingame now a huge ammount of people will be dissapointed james
I expect mini-sharks and octopuses. Perhaps something like Tentacle from DK1, that may occasionally come to your dungeon if you have it exposed to the water and hit imps/traps or whomever it sees first.

Without this, water will be a little dull to me.

Tommonius

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I expect mini-sharks and octopuses. Perhaps something like Tentacle from DK1, that may occasionally come to your dungeon if you have it exposed to the water and hit imps/traps or whomever it sees first.

Without this, water will be a little dull to me.

Tentacle's would be great neutral creatues, I say this as I like nearly never got them through the damn portal, mostly I found hero versions I had to convert to get them, add this to dungeon keeper ami fanfic which is where I learned of War for the Overworld and the Tentacle beasts came across as almost decent chaps... just slimey to be around.

Of course we got the Occullus and all but still a creature attracted by water and found there or you have to have some bridges in the water to attract them would be nice, and after all we have many minions revealed but so few neutrals so hey i can dream can't I?

Tentacles... I can imagine chilling sneaking behind the enemy's back than a small tentacle or more than one appears between me and enemy, it could be a little creepy, I could yell 'oh' and be spotted by the enemy... tentacles...

I'm not sure it is possible to play 'too much' AoM :p
As You couldn't stop winking Your eyes all the time. That's how really zombies appears.

Hugo

Concept Artist
Dev Team
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
Actually, water is blue, as it absorbs radiation from the lower part of the spectrum and transimts/reflects higher wave lenghts. Sky reflection only tints the surface at some angles relative to the incidence, surface normal and observer position, like red reflections at sunset. But I guess thats what you meant anyway when you said its not deep enough to be percieved as blue even if in essence, water is blue.

Tommonius

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Actually, water is blue, as it absorbs radiation from the lower part of the spectrum and transimts/reflects higher wave lenghts. Sky reflection only tints the surface at some angles relative to the incidence, surface normal and observer position, like red reflections at sunset. But I guess thats what you meant anyway when you said its not deep enough to be percieved as blue even if in essence, water is blue.

head of cultists right here, need to get his crack research team making mana batteries that generate heat beams so we can get light sabres.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Yes, that's what I meant, it is so pale blue, you need a lot of it for it to actually look blue, and it needs to be well lit, neither of which would be true underground.

Top Bottom