• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

WFTO Wednesday #35: The Arcanist

Anafilaxis

Warden
Backer
Mar 2, 2013
Canada
uhhh pretty pretty. love the rune tattoos (or design) on the arcanist. she seems to be able do deal great damage, so hopefully there will be a nice counter-attack unit on the 'dark side':) the lighting is also looking good, the purple on the spell room fits quite well.

iggii

Bafu
Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
The new lightning of rooms is superb!I would specially thank those persons who came with this idea as the game as whole looks much better as I can say from screens!And also those little details as lanterns on the ground when youre building a bridge and the little insects flying around...brutal ;) Only one thing to consider maybe-I dont know why but the light of walls (which signs that you claimed a wall-in this case green when you are green player...you know what i mean?Things on top of a claimed wall tile) fhey really disturb the dark cozy dungeon atmosphere-could they be turned off or made significantly smaller and darker or whatever please?

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
Backer
Nov 29, 2012
While the new lighting is excellent, I fear you may have overdone it in the Archive. There, it's not so much ambient lighting as it is bright spots of purple scattered all over the room. I think these lights should be made softer, or less numerous, or both.

Kormai

Priestess
Jul 29, 2013
While the new lighting is excellent, I fear you may have overdone it in the Archive. There, it's not so much ambient lighting as it is bright spots of purple scattered all over the room. I think these lights should be made softer, or less numerous, or both.
or in the form of runes on the ground ;)

Mobbs

Gnarling
Backer
Jan 3, 2013
When I saw that Unbound Power ability my first thought was it would be nice if she (or another creature) would give your own damage spells more power as long as she is nearby (on the screen for example). Maybe there will be a ritual? I´d love to see my creatures praying for massive lightning burning our enemies...

Nov 3, 2013
Are the spellcaster units and heroes going to be formidable in this game? Sadly, what puts me off a lot of games, being a person who likes spellcasters, is that the melee heroes tend to get all the glory etc. I remember in the original DK, the Warlock, Wizard and Priestess all were pretty powerful casters. I would just like it for the powerful spellcaster units to be on par with their melee counterparts for once.

The unit does look very good. Someone commented on the lack of female units for Dungeon - I would suggest the dark elf, perhaps aping the drow priestess archetype, or perhaps those drider-like females from DK2. Regarding male spellcasters, I am sure more will be added.

Nov 3, 2013
I just have the Warlock from DK 2 in recent memory. *shivers*

One of my favourite DK 1 units, downgraded to a lowly support unit that took ages to muster a single fireball.

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
I just have the Warlock from DK 2 in recent memory. *shivers*

One of my favourite DK 1 units, downgraded to a lowly support unit that took ages to muster a single fireball.
Plus, that fireball did the same damage at level 10 as it did at level 1. The Warlock was a joke, which is really sad, since I liked the visual design.
DK1 avoided caster uselessness by allowing the mages to get more and more spells, such as lightning, meteor, hailstorm and other nukes, aswell as defensive spells, like rebound, heal, or invisibility and crowd control spells, notably freeze and slow. The wizard was a sight to behold, when he started to cast his spells with an impressive cadence.
WftO will allow your spellcaster's attacks to increase in damage, when they level up, and they will likely be able to attack quite frequently, so the casters will be an important part of your damage. The Huntress has more damage on paper, but she has to deal with physical resistances, while I don't think there will be many enemies, that have high magic resistances and no enemy, who is immune to all kinds of magic.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
It was a general problem for support units. They were very weak and the "support" they provided was minimal. Warlocks had healing which made them somewhat useful, but is that really the use of a Warlock? The dark elf archer was OK but her main function was "manning" barricades. Even the Mistress was a shadow of her former self, compared to when she could teleport, haste herself, drain life and zap things. The killer spell, which both the Warlock and the Dragon got in the first game, was Word of Power. I really loved the visual for that, too. I can't really recall what made the DK1 Warlock so formidable, but you're right, it was the array of spells they had overall. I recall the CC stuff for the Priestess and the Fairy, both were useful units.

Regarding passive magic resistance, it would be nice if it also extended to buffs and healing. The picking and choosing makes sense in RPGs for reasons of convenience but in RTS/TBS I prefer it to be more universal in nature. I think it was the old HoMM games that worked that way - although your elite dragon unit didn't fear spells, it also could not benefit from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom