• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #54: The Sanctuary

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
HUZZAH! nice new room, look great.

in keeping with the theme here is a cultist picture, Cultist chan:

cultist chan.jpg

Because being evil and a Cultist does not mean you cannot be perky or cheerful!

Last edited:

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I was wondering how often the Cultists can activate the rituals. is it effected by how many Cultists there are? Also are you locked into the one kind or can you use any of the 3 if you have enough talents in the vein of evil?

Also will that room have any other uses, seeing as you sacrifice Cultists to get a super unit can you sacrifice captured units or your own minion for any possible benefits like say killing a couple of priests makes all your units really happy and have minor regeneration.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Would it make more sense for instead of multiple altars, to have one large shrine? This is under my assumption that all cultists work on the same ritual, as opposed to having multiple small rituals going at the same time.

EDIT: to clarify, i like the look of the sanctuary, but i'm thinking logically about it's purpose.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Would it make more sense for instead of multiple altars, to have one large shrine? This is under my assumption that all cultists work on the same ritual, as opposed to having multiple small rituals going at the same time.

EDIT: to clarify, i like the look of the sanctuary, but i'm thinking logically about it's purpose.
That's actually how it will appear in-game. Prop placement will be similar to that of the Beast Den.

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
Will the creature panel be more complex than that of Dungeon Keeper 2? For example: shows a happiness chart for all minions? What will it have compared to dungeon keeper?

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
There seem to be a lot of questions coming up that I'll either leave to Simburgur's discretion (or to answer later, when I have more time), but I'll bite and reply to this specific one:

Also are you locked into the one kind or can you use any of the 3 if you have enough talents in the vein of evil?
The current plan is to never lock the player into one kind of anything in when it comes to the veins of evil. You're playing full Wrath and suddenly want to specialize into Sloth's traps? As long as you can muster up the Sin points, you can do it. The only small exception we currently have to this rule is the fact that only one Cultist Upgrade can be active at one time. Even there though, it will technically be possible to respecialize into, say, the Archon if you've obtained and lost a Behemoth or Eternal before in the same game.

Primarily, we want Sins to be the main factor in determining what a player can or can not specialize in at any given moment rather than forcing players into a playstyle with a certain finality from the get-go. That's not to say choice lock-outs will per definition never happen, but we're very much aiming to avoid them at the moment (and have done so succesfully so far, I think).

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
That's actually how it will appear in-game. Prop placement will be similar to that of the Beast Den.
I was going to ask about the same thing - I certainly think the room would look best with only one, central altar. Along with this though, given the power of this room I think it might be one that's better if it requires it be 5x5 at minimum - you could make the altar bigger and more grand, perhaps put it on a raised area.

Of course, regardless I don't think you want the room to feel too empty if the player decides to make it bigger than the minimum so you'll want to include some additional props or decorations. Perhaps rituals will require at least one Cultist working at the altar (perhaps maxing out at four working at the altar itself) and anyone additional could work at the props outside of that to speed up rituals.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Question time.
Will Fortify also fortify walls adjacent to your bridges?
TBD, but most likely not due to the speed at which you can deploy bridges, could result in some cheese tactics in certain situations.
I was wondering how often the Cultists can activate the rituals. is it effected by how many Cultists there are? Also are you locked into the one kind or can you use any of the 3 if you have enough talents in the vein of evil?

Also will that room have any other uses, seeing as you sacrifice Cultists to get a super unit can you sacrifice captured units or your own minion for any possible benefits like say killing a couple of priests makes all your units really happy and have minor regeneration.
All rituals have their own 'build cost', and like with research or manufacturing, units working on the sanctuary will contribute towards 'building' that ritual (the wording will need some more elegance).
The sloth ritual seems a bit too weak, how about if it also repaired your traps/doors?
If they all had the same gold/mana/time cost then yes, it may seem a bit weak, but remember we have many points of balance for all of these rituals. Many levers to pull. Working on doors/traps is certainly something we could look at.
Will the color of the Sanctuary change based on which tree you've put more effort into? Such as, green glow for a Sloth player and so on
Not the Sanctuary itself, but the altar (which will be a prominent light source) will.

Jobs2k

Skarg
WFTO Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
Will the color of the Sanctuary change based on which tree you've put more effort into? Such as, green glow for a Sloth player and so on
Wouldn't green be greed? Always wanting more, you would naturally be envious of what others have.
Red would obviously be wrath.I don't think I need go into an explanation about red representing fire and anger... but I guess I just did.
That leaves us with sloth. Sloth should be blue.
Blue is cold, slow, relaxed and relaxing.

Put all that together and you, very conveniently, get RGB and that would fit very well for visual representations of how far into each Vein a player has gone.
Everyone here will fear white by the time the game is released! :D

Sep 17, 2013
Scotland
Wouldn't green be greed? Always wanting more, you would naturally be envious of what others have.
Red would obviously be wrath.I don't think I need go into an explanation about red representing fire and anger... but I guess I just did.
That leaves us with sloth. Sloth should be blue.
Blue is cold, slow, relaxed and relaxing.

Put all that together and you, very conveniently, get RGB and that would fit very well for visual representations of how far into each Vein a player has gone.
Everyone here will fear white by the time the game is released! :D
Essentially, I forgot the colors of the veins, but you've picked up exactly what I was going for

Top Bottom