• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #56: The Alchemy Lab

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Great, I like the looks and the sounds of it, but the stirring mechanisms look a bit too high tech to be honest. I expected big pots with a large spoon in each of them.

Edit: I judged a bit too quickly.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2013
Scotland
Oh, hello there, my new favorite room. You're very toxic looking. I like that. Those vats are a nice touch. I can't wait to find out what the maniacal units that work inside you look like.

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
The sounds are amazing, all we need now is to push people into the boiler for that 'extra flavour'.

If anyone complains about this looking too 'high-tech', go play some Final Fantasy 4 and embrace the 'high-tech' within it.
Else I'll lick you and point you to DK1's workshop.

Sep 17, 2013
Scotland
The sounds are amazing, all we need now is to push people into the boiler for that 'extra flavour'.

If anyone complains about this looking too 'high-tech', go play some Final Fantasy 4 and embrace the 'high-tech' within it.
I don't get the "hi-tech" argument. They're big whisks turned by cranks. there's nothing hi-tech about it. haters gonna hate, i guess.

Oct 17, 2013
Looks and sounds great. I was hoping that there would be a picture of a crackpot included. Saw the description "gremlinoid", looks promising!

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com

The machines in the DK workshop were also way too high tech, I never really liked how the machines looked. There is also nothing high tech in the Foundry, so why is there something high tech in this room?

theMarg0r

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Oh man, those huge mixing bowls remind me of Evil Genius. I assume they can't be used as torture devices, but still

The machines in the DK workshop were also way too high tech, I never really liked how the machines looked. There is also nothing high tech in the Foundry, so why is there something high tech in this room?
I don't really think it's very high-tech... it's not even motor-powered. Those mixers are quite clearly crank-operated, nothing high-tech about it. It's just weird and interesting, and I love it. It definitely helps set the room apart, which I'm pretty sure is intentional. Every room should be recognizable at a glance.

Nov 13, 2013
Well this is most definitely an interesting room. I was expecting a more gold/yellow color, does this mean that green will be the color of greed?

I do really like the room, I think it doesn't neccisarly look high-tech, I think it is just more metallic than people were expecting.

I'm definitely getting more of a "cooking" instead of a "brewing" feel from this room. Those giant beaters made me think of the beater my mom uses for cooking cake batter, though I'm pretty sure what the Crackpots will be making will be far more toxic then cake :D.

I am curious, it was said the Alchemy Lab will produce gold when not brewing potions, but I don't see exactly how Crackpots will be doing that. What will they do? Stir pots of liquid gold?

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
I am curious, it was said the Alchemy Lab will produce gold when not brewing potions, but I don't see exactly how Crackpots will be doing that. What will they do? Stir pots of liquid gold?
There was a common misconception in medieval times that trained alchemists could turn lead into gold. Would be cool if the Crackpots would do it like that.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
yer i imagined from the sound clip that lumps of metal were being poured in and gold nuggets were falling through some filter onto the floor.

would be cool to see how they animate these processes.

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Because I highly doubt people are allergic to 'high-tech' things like basic machinery. I'm looking closely at the image and all I see is metal prongs that turns when cranked by the handle. I guess catapults are too high-tech as well then.

Lo! We must be forever stuck with rocks and sticks to battle the forces of good!
Makes one wonder how a old vs new DMG would go, swords vs guns.

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Because I highly doubt people are allergic to 'high-tech' things like basic machinery. I'm looking closely at the image and all I see is metal prongs that turns when cranked by the handle. I guess catapults are too high-tech as well then.

Lo! We must be forever stuck with rocks and sticks to battle the forces of good!
Makes one wonder how a old vs new DMG would go, swords vs guns.
To be fair, I didn't see the handles at first so I guess judged a bit too quickly.

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
To be fair, I didn't see the handles at first so I guess judged a bit too quickly.
Nonetheless, you still get this, even if it was a mistake.

*Licks cheek*
There, no harm done. Lets move on and talk about the succubus mo- oh.
Er, nevermind!

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Looks great, reminds me of the barrels of dip from who framed roger rabbit

If only the Empire had little fairies and we could dip them

AH I can dream can I not, break those little glitter balls be broken down to there base parts and use as alchemy ingredients.

Jan 3, 2014
I'm glad a lab has been created for WFTO, as Iwas only thinking about it sometime ago. Now I can just imagine the cultists standing around the vats saying and doing:

1st Cultist: "Eye of Newt and Tongue of Dog"
2nd Cultist: "Wing of Bat and Leg of Frog"
3rd Cultist: " and Three Tablespoons of Sugar"
1st and 2nd Together" THAT WOULD TASTE DISGUSTING"

or they could be

"claw of wolf and Tail of Mice let this potion make the Heroes not very nice"

Nov 13, 2013
I'm glad a lab has been created for WFTO, as Iwas only thinking about it sometime ago. Now I can just imagine the cultists standing around the vats saying and doing:

1st Cultist: "Eye of Newt and Tongue of Dog"
2nd Cultist: "Wing of Bat and Leg of Frog"
3rd Cultist: " and Three Tablespoons of Sugar"
1st and 2nd Together" THAT WOULD TASTE DISGUSTING"

or they could be

"claw of wolf and Tail of Mice let this potion make the Heroes not very nice"
Well it won't be cultists standing around it, it will be crackpots :).

Reyh!

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 9, 2012
Norway
The Alchemy Lab isn't "high tech", it is retrofuturistic, or steampunked, which is way cooler than just high tech. :)

Anyhow...i love it. :D

Jan 3, 2013
It looks more like a brewery, than alchemy lab. At least to me, probably because it's too ''empty'' for laboratory room.

Top Bottom