• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #57: Player Research

Jan 3, 2013
I like the suggested UI, there probably will be a need of few tweaks ( mostly for flag/army management ) but the rest looks good.

lemon-rev

Cultist
WFTO Founder
Dec 4, 2012
This new update worries me greatly, The way of the mobile is not always good to pc players.

I like the fact that some of the ui and the icons on the side can be grouped to make it easy access however.... The player needs to be able to pick up units quickly and select the grouped units either one at a time or the entire group just like dk1 and 2.

The rooms can very well be grouped as that can be done at a slower pace but it still a bigger pain in the rear because thats what the main part of the game early on.

The other icons like resource and vanes of evil look to be enough to click on to get a good quick grip on reality. Just dont make this game too mobile friendly for the pc please.

You will end up annoying me and far too many users of the original game.

Seb I just looked above my post and see your from players research what games do you study most ? and do you concentrate more on the mobile gaming ?

Theres a huge margin from pc to mobile, however they can be integrated but the elements that are ment to be mobile can somewhat seem huge to the pc player as they dont need huge spaces to press on to activate an area.

Anyways thats my thoughts on the new update. Good luck WTFO

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I like the fact that some of the ui and the icons on the side can be grouped to make it easy access however.... The player needs to be able to pick up units quickly and select the grouped units either one at a time or the entire group just like dk1 and 2.
We've only shown 1.5 pages of the 42 page report, but rest assured that this functionality is in there. We'll be releasing the full thing at a later date :)

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
So far it looks good to me. I especially like the difference in gem colors to show where the props go!

A few questions:
Will it be easily visible how much mana you gain every second? And where?
Will it be visible how much payday costs once it is implemented? And where?
Will the persistent information panel also work when you hover over specific units? (tell us their name, race, level, current activity?)
Can you see each individual unit in the creature panel, or is it grouped by race? If grouped by race, will there ever be an option to see each individual unit and sort them on for instance, level?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
So far it looks good to me. I especially like the difference in gem colors to show where the props go!

A few questions:
Will it be easily visible how much mana you gain every second? And where?
Will it be visible how much payday costs once it is implemented? And where?
Will the persistent information panel also work when you hover over specific units? (tell us their name, race, level, current activity?)
Can you see each individual unit in the creature panel, or is it grouped by race? If grouped by race, will there ever be an option to see each individual unit and sort them on for instance, level?
  1. We aren't going to be showing this because the rate at which mana increases is never going to change. The only value that ever changes is your max mana.
  2. Yes, in a tooltip when hovering over the gold bar.
  3. Yup.
  4. Grouped by race. The unit grouping panels will have individual unit icons for each unit in that group though.

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Grouped by race. The unit grouping panels will have individual unit icons for each unit in that group though.
Okay. So how would I quickly make a group of 3 highest level creatures that are also 3 seperate races? Or the 3 lowest level creatures? Is there a quick way to select them, or would I have to run through my whole Dungeon to pinpoint them?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Okay. So how would I quickly make a group of 3 highest level creatures that are also 3 seperate races? Or the 3 lowest level creatures? Is there a quick way to select them, or would I have to run through my whole Dungeon to pinpoint them?
Good question.

When selecting which unit type to add to a group the game would need to prioritise which individual units to take first. I guess it would make most sense to prioritise ungrouped units first, and after that it would take the highest level units?

We'll certainly need to tweak this to ensure the most common use cases are catered for.

Thypari

Disciple
May 9, 2013
I am glad you took all that effort! But I am also disappointed, that you still keep the old DK2 layout. Yes, it worked to an extend in the old game. But it was not anything near good.

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Good question.

When selecting which unit type to add to a group the game would need to prioritise which individual units to take first. I guess it would make most sense to prioritise ungrouped units first, and after that it would take the highest level units?

We'll certainly need to tweak this to ensure the most common use cases are catered for.
I don't think prioritizing certain creatures over others in grouping would be the best. If I group creatures, I want full control over who and what I put where afterall. Theoratically, if I want Bobby the level 2 cultist to be in the same group Stompy the Gnarling who is level 5, I want to be able to do so quickly, and not end up having to remove all of Bobby's friends with a higher level from the group first :)

I'm not sure about DK1, but DK2 had a button combination that if you clicked a race while holding those (it was a ridiculous combination of buttons, but it worked), it would pick up your highest level minion. Another combination picked up the lowest level one. Perhaps 'shift-click' on the Cultist race in the unit panel could automatically pick up the highest level creature? Assuming such things aren't already on the to do list of course! :D

Thypari

Disciple
May 9, 2013
Half of my post got lost...

Just one example: The rally flags are on the right of the screen while the minimap is on the left. If I have 5 or more unit groups and I want to reposition them to different regions on the map I have to move the mouse to the left click the minimap position, then all the way to the right klick the flag and set its new position, then again all the way to the left for the next minimap position. Now repeat it with 5-10 unit groups.
That is nothing near a good solution. Especially when it is something so important like controlled unit movement.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I don't think prioritizing certain creatures over others in grouping would be the best. If I group creatures, I want full control over who and what I put where afterall. Theoratically, if I want Bobby the level 2 cultist to be in the same group Stompy the Gnarling who is level 5, I want to be able to do so quickly, and not end up having to remove all of Bobby's friends with a higher level from the group first :)

I'm not sure about DK1, but DK2 had a button combination that if you clicked a race while holding those (it was a ridiculous combination of buttons, but it worked), it would pick up your highest level minion. Another combination picked up the lowest level one. Perhaps 'shift-click' on the Cultist race in the unit panel could automatically pick up the highest level creature? Assuming such things aren't already on the to do list of course! :D
Come to think of it, as we're only having 5 unit levels we can easily separate them out in the unit panel as one of the filters.

Top Bottom