• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #57: Player Research

Nov 13, 2013

Overall this UI looks pretty solid to me with Only two things I would like to point out;

It looks to me like the lower right hand corner is underused, I would recommend increasing the size of long panel under the information panel to extend nearly all the way to right. You also might want to increase it's height

I'm pretty iffy about the objectives panel being so large, I think it might work better as a panel accessed from the pause menu like in several other RTS games I have seen. Also, that is a pretty decent sized panel that is not being used in multiplayer, which most of the time has one simple objective (kill the other guy/guys) that doesn't change.

I could only see such an area of the screen being taken up with objectives being useful/convenient/necessary if in the campaign we frequently have our objective change, which is possible, but I still think it would be better if that corner was being used for something else. Mostly because I could see experienced players getting annoyed by having a screen constantly reminding them what they need to do. I think it would be better if a player could access it if they forgot their objectives, but it shouldn't be there all the time, because it isn't USEFUL all the time(only useful if you forgot your objective) like knowing a variable which changed far more frequently, like gold,mana, creature number, etc.

Edit: I also saw that the top right hand corner is not being used, but I see that notifications stack up on the right hand side, so I agree that it would be best to leave that place unused so as to leave maximum room in case of notification overload or some such

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Come to think of it, as we're only having 5 unit levels then we can easily separate them out in the unit panel as one of the filters.
So a filter by level? How do I imagine that to look? Will it only show how many creatures of a certain level you have in a race, or will it show a breakdown of all races and levels?

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Half of my post got lost...

Just one example: The rally flags are on the right of the screen while the minimap is on the left. If I have 5 or more unit groups and I want to reposition them to different regions on the map I have to move the mouse to the left click the minimap position, then all the way to the right klick the flag and set its new position, then again all the way to the left for the next minimap position. Now repeat it with 5-10 unit groups.
That is nothing near a good solution. Especially when it is something so important like controlled unit movement.
This is good feedback. We'll be discussing this.

Off the top of my head, the solution would be hotkeys as this is generally something that advanced users will be doing.

Seb

Player Research
WFTO Backer
Jan 25, 2014
Thanks for commenting Antking!

It looks to me like the lower right hand corner is underused, I would recommend increasing the size of long panel under the information panel to extend nearly all the way to right. You also might want to increase it's height.
The problem with the lower right is that it is the closure point for lower-res screens. The mock-up is for 1080p, but lower-resolutions may or may not have a gap in the lower right. I do agree that the unit panel could expand though!

I'm pretty iffy about the objectives panel being so large, I think it might work better as a panel accessed from the pause menu like in several other RTS games I have seen. Also, that is a pretty decent sized panel that is not being used in multiplayer, which most of the time has one simple objective (kill the other guy/guys) that doesn't change. .
The objectives panel is totally place-holder in size and shape (it is actually just the same as the mini-map because that was the easiest panel to copy/paste!). I'd expect the panel to be removable, and not displayed most of the time.

I think it would be better if a player could access it if they forgot their objectives, but it shouldn't be there all the time, because it isn't USEFUL all the time(only useful if you forgot your objective) like knowing a variable which changed far more frequently, like gold,mana, creature number, etc.
I think there could be some useful notification area/objective panel interactions that could solve these problems... Food for thought, thank you!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
So a filter by level? How do I imagine that to look? Will it only show how many creatures of a certain level you have in a race, or will it show a breakdown of all races and levels?
Here's a first pass on the unit panel filters - imagine that the 'B' or 'C' would be the level filter.

upload_2014-2-5_21-26-57.png

War for the Overworld - UI Report - Jan 2014 - Public Version.003.png

Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for commenting Antking!

The problem with the lower right is that it is the closure point for lower-res screens. The mock-up is for 1080p, but lower-resolutions may or may not have a gap in the lower right. I do agree that the unit panel could expand though!

The objectives panel is totally place-holder in size and shape (it is actually just the same as the mini-map because that was the easiest panel to copy/paste!). I'd expect the panel to be removable, and not displayed most of the time.

I think there could be some useful notification area/objective panel interactions that could solve these problems... Food for thought, thank you!
Thanks for the reply Seb, You've quelled a lot of my worries about the UI. Keep of the great work :)

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Here's a first pass on the unit panel filters - imagine that the 'B' or 'C' would be the level filter.
That looks pretty neat. My suggestion on the sorting would be that selecting 'busy' would show which creatures are 'idle', 'working', or 'in combat'. Then you would have the C location for level.

And I also think that the first UI option with less clutter on the icons themselves is the easiest one to look at.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Just an idea, with the unit sorting, rather than having =, :), B and C, you could have A(ll), B(usy), C(ombat) and D(isposition)...

to add to those asking about the bottom panel extending all the way to the right, what is the possibility of the panel scrolling left and right at lower resolutions where the entire UI doesn't fit. I assume the panel will be 2 or more icons high so it would only be at very low resolutions (I think there are about 20 rooms planned right? so 10 icons wide wouldn't be very wide at most resolutions, and if there is room, perhaps the objectives panel could go at the bottom right?

lemon-rev

Cultist
WFTO Founder
Dec 4, 2012
with the creature pannel i do not think its really nice to the eye for all those numbers on screen even though it tells the player how many of each happy / sad and whatnot face to show more than 1 set of numbers however neet you try to make it, i think makes it look somewhat horrible to the eye as theres too much to study or eye drawing as those numbers would constantly fluctuate

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Just an idea, with the unit sorting, rather than having =, :), B and C, you could have A(ll), B(usy), C(ombat) and D(isposition)...

to add to those asking about the bottom panel extending all the way to the right, what is the possibility of the panel scrolling left and right at lower resolutions where the entire UI doesn't fit. I assume the panel will be 2 or more icons high so it would only be at very low resolutions (I think there are about 20 rooms planned right? so 10 icons wide wouldn't be very wide at most resolutions, and if there is room, perhaps the objectives panel could go at the bottom right?
2 icons high, 9 icons wide. We'll make sure it fits.

Nov 13, 2013
That looks pretty neat. My suggestion on the sorting would be that selecting 'busy' would show which creatures are 'idle', 'working', or 'in combat'. Then you would have the C location for level.

And I also think that the first UI option with less clutter on the icons themselves is the easiest one to look at.
I like that idea, but levels are going to be from 1-10 right? seems like dividing creature among that many levels would get very cluttered in the unit panel. i was thinking that we would probably have to have a panel pop (like vein of evil do) if we want to select units based on level, like for the making of unit groups. I'm not really a fan of the idea, and I'm all ears for an alternative suggestion, but it looks to me we might have to do it that way.

I also agree that the fist filter suggestion is easier on the eyes. :)

Jan 3, 2013
So I take we will know if creature is : happy, idle, busy, fighting and have an option to sort/pick by level with this UI, right?

Jan 3, 2013
I like that idea, but levels are going to be from 1-10 right? seems like dividing creature among that many levels would get very cluttered in the unit panel. i was thinking that we would probably have to have a panel pop (like vein of evil do) if we want to select units based on level, like for the making of unit groups. I'm not really a fan of the idea, and I'm all ears for an alternative suggestion, but it looks to me we might have to do it that way.

I also agree that the fist filter suggestion is easier on the eyes. :)
It could be above or below lvl5. This way we can pick creatures either for combat or for other task based on their level.

Seb

Player Research
WFTO Backer
Jan 25, 2014
The Unit Panel is a really tricky problem - trying to display (what is essentially) a spreadsheet in a useful, beautiful and usable manner. I'd especially like to hear about functionality that players feel could be removed from the unit panel in order to afford an opportunity to tidy it up a bit.

Nov 13, 2013
with the creature pannel i do not think its really nice to the eye for all those numbers on screen even though it tells the player how many of each happy / sad and whatnot face to show more than 1 set of numbers however neet you try to make it, i think makes it look somewhat horrible to the eye as theres too much to study or eye drawing as those numbers would constantly fluctuate
I agree, it does look cluttered, but you can turn it off by selecting "equal" and then it just shows one number( I think) which is the total number of creatures you have of that type. Basically we need to have a way of accessing this information about our creatures, but we have a limited area in which to put the information. So no matter how we divide the info up it is likely going to look at least somewhat cluttered.

Top Bottom