• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #57: Player Research

Oct 24, 2013
I am unsure how it's being tackled if you wanna make a striketeam, but some units support each other very well.
My suggestion is that you can make your team simply by picking them up and pressing ctrl+# then when you press that number you pick up that group in that order so you can easily deploy your strike team in a stressful situation like when being attacked.

I know that causes an issue if one of them have been knocked out as your striketeam is not complete then, but it's still far better than needing to press multiple icons in order to find all the units you need to back-up each other.

As for the "tooltip" bar i hope that stays with most/all information if you click something like a unit or room, it's especially frustrating trying to keep your mouse over a moving unit trying to read that information, and it can be good information to have about a room or other item while you scroll around looking for a good place to put something else.

On a random off topic note, please make it possible to completely turn off edge scrolling, it's so frustrating when trying to put something at the edge of the screen then it moves a bit and you have to realign to the place you wanted to hit

I can't wait to get my little impish claws on the final version of this, you guys keep amazing me on your progress and never ending goal of bringing dungeon keeping back to us the way it is meant to be.

(And then i can't wait to hear Josh the bard screaming in agony at the hands of my succubi ;) )

Nov 13, 2013
I am unsure how it's being tackled if you wanna make a striketeam, but some units support each other very well.
My suggestion is that you can make your team simply by picking them up and pressing ctrl+# then when you press that number you pick up that group in that order so you can easily deploy your strike team in a stressful situation like when being attacked.

I know that causes an issue if one of them have been knocked out as your striketeam is not complete then, but it's still far better than needing to press multiple icons in order to find all the units you need to back-up each other.

As for the "tooltip" bar i hope that stays with most/all information if you click something like a unit or room, it's especially frustrating trying to keep your mouse over a moving unit trying to read that information, and it can be good information to have about a room or other item while you scroll around looking for a good place to put something else.

On a random off topic note, please make it possible to completely turn off edge scrolling, it's so frustrating when trying to put something at the edge of the screen then it moves a bit and you have to realign to the place you wanted to hit

I can't wait to get my little impish claws on the final version of this, you guys keep amazing me on your progress and never ending goal of bringing dungeon keeping back to us the way it is meant to be.

(And then i can't wait to hear Josh the bard screaming in agony at the hands of my succubi ;) )
The problem with using the pick up tool to make unit groups is that it costs mana to pick/drop stuff in WFTO, so you would have to spend resources(admittedly a quickly replenishing one) to do interface stuff, which doesn't seem like a good way of doing things to me.

Oct 24, 2013
The problem with using the pick up tool to make unit groups is that it costs mana to pick/drop stuff in WFTO, so you would have to spend resources(admittedly a quickly replenishing one) to do interface stuff, which doesn't seem like a good way of doing things to me.
Wait so if you click an icon to pick up a critter to send it to train or go defend that costs you mana?
So when you are in deep trouble being invaded you have to choose if you want to quickly get you creatures i to the fight or if you want to fry the enemy? that doesn't seem like a good plan all around, nor do i remember that picking up something has cost mana, but i might have missed that update

May 24, 2013
This is looking better and better every week! Congrats on the great progress. Make sure you take your time refining the UI into the best possible because it is arguably the most important part of the game. I just want to emphasize that in a dungeon game with lots of singleplayer/sandbox, a lot of the fun is the sense of stewardship of my creatures. I think maybe a button for a full screen popup with total creature breakdowns would be great. Not only would it be useful insight to see what every creature in your dungeon is currently doing, it adds more flavor and personality to them; keeping track of my minions and their antics is what i love most; training them and flinging undesirables into the melee first, while raging when my favorites are slain...when I get pissed off when a single one of my many virtual creature is killed you know you've made a great game.

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
I think that grouping makes up for the mana cost of picking up units. Also, I think at least picking up imps doesn't cost mana.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Wait so if you click an icon to pick up a critter to send it to train or go defend that costs you mana?
So when you are in deep trouble being invaded you have to choose if you want to quickly get you creatures i to the fight or if you want to fry the enemy? that doesn't seem like a good plan all around, nor do i remember that picking up something has cost mana, but i might have missed that update
You can always group them and send them to train using rally.

That's the point you are encouraged to tell your creatures where to go, rather than getting a handful and dropping them on the enemy.

i agree, 5 level is really not a good level spread, 10 level is a much better cap
I don't see how much difference it would make, it just means each level up is a bigger jump,

Nov 13, 2013
The reason for the mana cost on picking up/dropping is to prevent a player from bring able to dumb his WHOLE army on a spot, which allows to have maximum defense at all points in your territory, or pull back from an all-out attack with no problems. It also prevents players from being able to save all your creatures from death by picking them up right before they die. On the other hand, picking up/dropping imps is no mana, and the rally spell is also no mana. in addition you can make units groups and have multiple rally flags with certain units assigned to each one. The change basically limits movement of creatures, which means that combat will now need to be more strategic then "dump everything I have wherever there stuff is."

Oct 24, 2013
[quote="I don't see how much difference it would make, it just means each level up is a bigger jump,[/quote]
It makes a very big difference when you like to micromanage your critters, and it makes a big difference on the random outcome of few highlevel against many low level.
1 level 5 against 2 level 2 on a 5 scale is equal to any combination of 1 level 10 to 2 level 3, 4 or 5 on a 10 scale, that spread makes it very hard to predict the outcome of the battle and see how many units you need to ensure a specific battle

Oct 17, 2013

I think for your minion panel, you should use the forward facing concept art that you guys have created. I took the liberty to photoshop an example. If you look at just the augre, the chunder and the succubus, it looks cool to have half their faces showing, and next to them are the respective numbers. (I just included the other minions to fill up space, couldnt find any other front facing concept art, the bafu is a render).

Hope you guys might consider this cuz your artwork is great looking and I think it would fit well in the control panel.

Seb

Player Research
WFTO Backer
Jan 25, 2014

I think for your minion panel, you should use the forward facing concept art that you guys have created. I took the liberty to photoshop an example. If you look at just the augre, the chunder and the succubus, it looks cool to have half their faces showing, and next to them are the respective numbers. (I just included the other minions to fill up space, couldnt find any other front facing concept art, the bafu is a render).

Hope you guys might consider this cuz your artwork is great looking and I think it would fit well in the control panel.
Hey - nice! Wish I'd have spotted those artworks when writing the report - nice job!

Oct 24, 2013

i don't see the point in having the key on each face, that just clutters it, the numbers should be enough. It really doesn't take long to remember which level of numbers means what.
It would also be nice if you got a pop-up with the individual units of a certain type if you hover your mouse over a picture for easy pick-up

Nov 13, 2013
I don't see how much difference it would make, it just means each level up is a bigger jump,
more levels is better. basically, I like having more levels and have them advance at a reasonable pace, with 5 levels advancement between levels will take longer. More levels gives me better idea of my creatures rate of advancement, and it makes the power levels of creatures advance at a more gradual pace. It also allows abilities to be dolled out to creatures at more varied points in the game. Also If you don't put in 10 levels then I will call down EPIC LEVEL NERD RAGE STORM DOWN UPON YOU!!!!! :p

but seriously, don't make it 5 levels. I REALLY like having 10 levels, and I am sure that many community members and dk fans do as well. PLEASE don't give us only 5 levels. I am begging you :(

mishko

Witch Doctor
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
You can always group them and send them to train using rally.

That's the point you are encouraged to tell your creatures where to go, rather than getting a handful and dropping them on the enemy.

I would rather train faster and have more variety of levels. There is more flexibility that way in my opinion. Also, how would gaining new spells work well with only 5 levels?

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks, Seb :D.

This just hit me when I was scrolling through my rocketdock. Would it be possible to like hold the left mouse button over a creature icon type and lift the type creature you want and move them around according to how you'd like them to be arranged. Also, I think there should be a lock button included so you can lock them down just so that during battle, you don't mistakenly lift the creature icon up (wasting precious seconds).

@Jesper Erno: Yeah, I agree with not cluttering up the screen too.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Overall I approve of the new UI design. Minor suggestions:
1. Move the Objectives panel to the bottom right corner instead of top right. I think it would be more aesthetically pleasing by making the overall design more symmetrical. The worker and rally flag buttons could also be moved down.
2. You need a payday countdown somewhere - doesn't have to be on all the time, but at least mouse over on the gold resource bar. Perhaps an hourglass icon or a clock giving an estimate to payday would work.
3. The gold bar for gold make sense as to what resource it is, as does the purple bar for mana bar, but what is the red bar? It couldn't be sins, given that you've got a counter for that already and a progress bar surrounding it.
4. I highly approve of rhasta's version of the creature panel, or something like it.

In regards to there being only 5 creature levels, that's new and shocking information. It would seem difficult to have a steady sense of creature progression with so few levels, provided each level gives an equal boost in strength. I would certainly like to hear Simburgur's rationale behind it before I cast judgement though. (of course, even if it doesn't work out it's just a number - something that can easily be changed if it doesn't feel right when it actually enters testing)

Top Bottom