• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #57: Player Research

Haze

Disciple
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
When selecting which unit type to add to a group the game would need to prioritise which individual units to take first. I guess it would make most sense to prioritise ungrouped units first, and after that it would take the highest level units?
Here's a first pass on the unit panel filters
Please take into account this note about unit panel. What player usually needs is to quickly select top AND healthy battle units (and distinguish them from low-health and low-level units).

Thus, usual\default filter should be "level gradient" - for example, 5 lines of difference on top of each unit icon with 5 numbers (quantity of units with levels 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10) EXCLUDING low-health creatures (let them sleep and eat, do not touch them). UI mechanics should always select first the most healthy and powerful unit from each level.

"Exclude already grouped units" in this panel will be a single option - we will get level-gradient of healthy units, which don't belong to any earlier created group.

Busy or not - this is really important only for imps, and, maybe, chunders\augres. "Differ between busy\low-health and free units" filter can be important for them. ("Low-health" criteria should be a little lower here - 25% health for worker is OK to select him for work, but the same amount of health for fighter is not enough if you want to send him to the frontline.)

Finally, I suggest level gradient filter (with the ability to exclude alrady grouped units) plus completely different "busy\low-health or free" filter for workers. "Total" quantity should be shown only when filters are not "on". Nothing more than that!

Last edited:

Haze

Disciple
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
If we will get a "toggle between unhappy" button\key (appearing when there are unhappy units) instead of unnecessary filter, "toggle between unconscious\forgotten" (appearing when there are unconscious units) button\key will also be a great help - and what is very important, UI should show us first abandoned unconscious units, which ones will die soon if player won't drop an imp near them.

I mean - if one body will be taken care of because some imp is already heading its way, first we should see an unconscious wanderer (abandoned after a fight) near the borders of our territory, who will die soon. Plus autoselect a free and healthy imp (if exists) when toggling between lost ones - or autochoosing Recall when unconscious unit is at enemy territory (if we can recall it).

Last edited:
May 22, 2013
Netherlands
Mood filter was almost always unnecessary, only when dealing with unhappy creatures one by one. As it is now, this filter can be removed - player only needs single detached button to jump between unhappy units (it they exist + immediate UI comment about reasons of their mood).
Strongly disagree. Mood filter was my most used filter in DK2 (a game which has nothing to do with WFTO of course, but just used as an example).

Feb 9, 2014
NZ
It has been said that there is only one ability that each creature does not start with and that is always received at level 5. they have all their other abilities at level 1, and levelling up only increases their stats.

as for the size of jump between levels, it may be the case that each level is not a huge jump, but bear in mind that in WFTO you will probably have a lot more units than in other DMGs, if for example you had twice as many units, instead of having to train one unit to level 10, you will have to train 2 units to level 5.
First assumption is probably, and that's half irrelevant. Larger number means more difficult to manage creatures just within your own dungeon.

Each creature has its own lore, what I am suggesting is that that lore is followed closer than just an image and one added ability. Some should probably not get an ability at all!

I did comment on another post, or I asked the question, my mind fails me at times. Asked if there really has to be a level 5 limit due to 'abilities'. The example I gave is that of a knight vs a wizard (creatures just for the example). A knight might not get a single spell in all levels up to ten, but in-turn gains more damage, health and 'Armour'. Whilst a wizard gains more spells, as one would as one becomes more experienced, but barely gains any health what-so-ever. It produces creatures which have more of an identity and gives a lot more strategy to the game-play and to what the way that you build ups your different groups. It also allows for creativity to still do its work with the creatures and essentially give them their own personality which is closer to what would be had in the lore.

Haze

Disciple
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Mood filter was my most used filter in DK2.
Can't imagine any reason to use mood filter, other than to satisfy unhappy ones, and for that purpose "appearing-when-necessary toggle-between" button is sufficient.
I never care about moods - provide enough lair and food, everything else (to build library or not) depends on strategy. Bored units, hey, go and fight each other at arena, don't bother me, you already have your salary - this should be a default set.

Haze

Disciple
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
And totally - what do you mean "bad mood"? I should get more gold than I pay em!!!
Keeper pays salary - thus he should take payment for food and lair! Succubus, take out a loan from keeper if you want to sleep in a luxury lair! Seduce a necromancer and force him to pay for you! Sooner or later, units will be forever indebted! Consume more delicacy without thinking about amortization of your loan and your family will become magically-controlled slaves! Build a consumer society and send propaganda agents to the underworld, saying that only your dungeon is a heaven under ground! Get more potential slaves and don't allow them to run... Where can they run to, anyway? Ask heroes for shelter?

Last edited:
May 22, 2013
Netherlands
And totally - what do you mean "bad mood"? I should get more gold than I pay em!!!
Keeper pays salary - thus he should take payment for food and lair! Succubus, take out a loan from keeper if you want to sleep in a luxury lair! Seduce a necromancer and force him to pay for you! Sooner or later, units will be forever indebted! Consume more delicacy without thinking about amortization of your loan and your family will become magically-controlled slaves! Build a consumer society and send propaganda agents to the underworld, saying that only your dungeon is a heaven under ground! Get more potential slaves and don't allow them to run... Where can they run to, anyway? Ask heroes for shelter?
I thought the idea of the creatures joining you was more mercenary-like
You pay them in money and goods to fight for you

Jobs2k

Skarg
WFTO Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
Are you attempting a political career? This is meant to be a fantasy game, not a re-skinned version of real life! ;)

Seb

Player Research
WFTO Backer
Jan 25, 2014
Some awesome suggestions here gang!

The use of mood filter and creature levels are closely tied to the game design intent, so I'll leave the WFTO dev team to embrace feedback on that front.

Having Early Access/Kickstarter backers provide feedback of this depth is such a great asset!

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Some awesome suggestions here gang!

The use of mood filter and creature levels are closely tied to the game design intent, so I'll leave the WFTO dev team to embrace feedback on that front.

Having Early Access/Kickstarter backers provide feedback of this depth is such a great asset!
the reason we're willing to do so is because the devs listen and give their own feedback :D That makes backers and players passionate about the game!

Jobs2k

Skarg
WFTO Backer
Dec 29, 2012
Stevenage, England
www.minecraftforum.net
It's what we are here for. There must be some that just got the game on Early Access so it was cheaper, but most of us just really want the game to be the best it can possibly be. As long as the SG Team keep an eye on the community and what it wants then we'll stay and give our opinions. :)
They're supposed to be Virgin maidens? oops... My bad! :)
Oh great! It's you that's been holding this whole concept back for years?

Top Bottom