• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #61: The Big Backer Update (1/2)

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
SQUEEE!

Errr.... I mean.... as an advocate for necromancy and undeath in general I heartily approve of the Kickstarter theme.

The ghostly chain theme for Robofish's Underlord is additionally quite awesome. I just love how the worker for this theme looks absolutely miserable - they clearly aren't enjoying their enslavement.

Also, congrats to Noontide for his getting an official position on the team. He's earned it.

Jan 7, 2012
Hey, impressive!
I wouldnt have thought that the extra stuff gets already developed, this ghost theme looks awesome, Its nice to see a dungeon core that implies some kind of interesting Lore.

Nov 13, 2013
Congratulations Noontide! :D

If I ever had any doubts about the quality of the backer-made underlords, they were most definitely dispelled by this update. That kickstarter underlord looks awesome :)

Anybody have in theories about his lore/backstory? Mine is that he was a evil spirit/god who was imprisoned beneath the earth in a weakened state by the light gods. He now seeks to restore his power and break his chains by absorbing as much magical energy as possible, which You(the player) happen to possess. I also think he could be a former hero bound by a black curse who was driven mad through centuries of isolation. So many possibilities :)

The backer only theme is also very cool :)

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
If I ever had any doubts about the quality of the backer-made underlords, they were most definitely dispelled by this update. That kickstarter underlord looks awesome :)

Anybody have in theories about his lore/backstory? Mine is that he was a evil spirit/god who was imprisoned beneath the earth in a weakened state by the light gods. He now seeks to restore his power and break his chains by absorbing as much magical energy as possible, which You(the player) happen to possess. I also think he could be a former hero bound by a black curse who was driven mad through centuries of isolation. So many possibilities :)
It could be any number of things, since we still don't know how Underlords come about.

However there are some clues here, take a closer look at the chained spirit's robe. Look familiar?

175px-Cult.png

Also, he's coming out of a stone version of himself that's resting on what looks like a sacrificial altar of some kind. Perhaps he's a Cultist who managed to become in death what he worshiped in life?

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
flanked by Richard Ridings and James
Definitely my favourite position... :rolleyes:

Also, congrats to Noontide for his getting an official position on the team. He's earned it.
Thanks Enjou, it's a pleasure to continue supporting this community in a more official capacity. It's been a whirlwind week so far with a lot of new things to pick up and think about, but I intend to sink my teeth into as much as I can. Either way I'll certainly be putting in as much time as I can into my new role!

Last edited:

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Ah so much eye candy on display here!

Just double checked and I am tier 5 so I get the sweet sweet loot on display here :D

I must say that specially designed Dungeon core looks incredible and VERY evil, sort of like you sacrificed your life and bound yourself in place forever but in turn gained powers and immortality, cool.

That said am I the only one who feels for the specially designed Imp looks really sad? I feel bad for the little guy, the other imps always got a slasher smile on and a "catch me if you can" expression.

this one to me just says "please no more slappings master" It really reminds me of the Dungeon keeper imps who looked like they wanted to be anywhere but in a dungeon being attacked by heroes.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
The Backer exclusive dungeon themes are very cool! I take it these will not be available at any point for those of us who were dumb enough not to back the Kickstarter then? Or will they perhaps be purchaseable in some fashion post release?
We may consider making them available as part of a charitable promotion at some point, but no solid plans at the moment. We won't be just outright selling them for our own gain.

And I guess another caveat: Many, many years down the line they may be bundled in some form of rare-metal-edition.

Edit: Also prizes for contests are a possibility too.

We may consider making them available as part of a charitable promotion at some point, but no solid plans at the moment. We won't be just outright selling them for our own gain.

And I guess another caveat: Many, many years down the line they may be bundled in some form of rare-metal-edition.

Edit: Also prizes for contests are a possibility too.
It's reassuring to know you won't be doing quick cash-grab DLC like that. Though I would have spent the money, it's good to know you're not planning to take the game in that direction.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
It's reassuring to know you won't be doing quick cash-grab DLC like that. Though I would have spent the money, it's good to know you're not planning to take the game in that direction.
I'd be interested to know what people would be willing to pay for them if they knew it was going to charity - £2? £5? £10?

It would be nice to maintain some level of exclusivity for those that do chip in.

I'd be interested to know what people would be willing to pay for them if they knew it was going to charity - £2? £5? £10?

It would be nice to maintain some level of exclusivity for those that do chip in.
I would gladly pay £5-£8 for something like this if I knew the money was going to charity. As a student I'm on a shoestring budget, but I could spare that kind of money if I got something in-game AND knew the money would go to a good cause.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
If you're interested in our opinions and plans for DLC then you can read all about it in this thread. It's worth noting that it's nearly a year old so it's all liable to change and we'll likely go back over it at some point. We certainly want our DLC to be more than just a cash-grab and really bring something to the game for players.

As Josh has indicated though we can potentially have some limited themes for those who want to support good causes. :)

If you're interested in our opinions and plans for DLC then you can read all about it in this thread. It's worth noting that it's nearly a year old so it's all liable to change and we'll likely go back over it at some point. We certainly want our DLC to be more than just a cash-grab and really bring something to the game for players.

As Josh has indicated though we can potentially have some limited themes for those who want to support good causes. :)
Thats very nice to know, I will definitely look that thread over. And as I said, the ability to both support a cause AND get an exclusive in-game theme or similiar wouldddd definitely make me personally open up my wallet. I'm sure others feel the same way.

Cultist Joris

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Oh, so Noontide is part of the team now? This is an outrage! You should be ashamed! :mad:
Noon should've been part of the team already like a year ago! What took you so long, Josh?

Grats Lee! ;)

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Note: this theme will be unlockable in-game for all players

Excellent. I hope many other radical themes will be unlocked in-game.
Hopefully we... *Looks at achievements* Old Super Hipsters won't be forgotten in this process, like the time QwentyJ took over WftO, A New Room was the mentor and Blutonium was a modeller.

I suddenly feel so much older now. You damn whipper snappers.

Congratulations to Noontide for his promotion, enjoy your new position, but remember this one thing that shall remain clear between us.

*Leans in*

Dungeon Nexus.
*Uses party popper*

Top Bottom