• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #62: The Frost Weaver

May 22, 2013
Netherlands
Come on guys, I'm running out of ways you and the new content are awesome :/

EDIT: On a more serious note, good job as always, you always find a way to make my wednesday-evening ^^

Nov 13, 2013
Wow, I was expecting the next backer update, this is an awesome surprise :D

I really like the frost weavers atheistic, though I have a couple of questions about how he functions:

Does he have a basic attack or is he a purely support who lacks any way to harm opponents?

I would assume he comes from a "frost gate" trap and respawns there similar to the ember demon, but i see no mention of this in the WFTO Wednesday. Is this how he functions or does he work differently?

Is the frost weaver able to level up?

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I would assume he comes from a "frost gate" trap and respawns there similar to the ember demon, but i see no mention of this in the WFTO Wednesday. Is this how he functions or does he work differently?
Yes. They come from the Glacial Rift defense. https://wftogame.com/wfto-wednesday-18/

Is the frost weaver able to level up?
Answered in the update. "though they are unable to learn from the trials of combat,"

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
My entire thought process on this update.

"Frost Weaver? Hmmm..."

"Oh yeah! Lets check it out!"

*Click*

I'm just gonna go lie down now.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Yes. They come from the Glacial Rift defense. https://wftogame.com/wfto-wednesday-18/
Actually we're playing around with a different approach for the Frost Weaver. His original design essentially placed him as the opposite of the Ember Demon, summoned through the aforementioned glacial rifts to defend parts of your Dungeon. We've changed the design a lot since then, something that has really helped flesh it out and make the whole concept of this unit more interesting and unique rather than a icy Ember Demon.

While Ember Demons themselves are still brought through rifts, draining your mana pool to churn out an unrelenting horde of fiery madness; Frost Weavers are instead brewed up in the Alchemy Lab, they're a much more involved process and much more reactive than proactive.

This has several interesting impacts on their place in the game. Firstly is the aforementioned reactiveness, rather than being a passive defence you can drop them upon your enemies for the simple cost of brewing and dropping potions. This also frees up the mana cost that would have been associated with the Glacial Rift, giving Sloth players more freedom and control over their mana pool. Finally they're temporary and finite, requiring more thoughtful management than simple passive defences.

It's all subject to change of course; but we feel that this makes them more interesting, and helps differentiate them more clearly from their Wrath counterpart.

Last edited:

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Okay that sounds interesting., it is not just a counterpart to the ember rift and you gain it in a different way which is good, shows diversity.

Quick question say we have cold tiles or some designated area like a freezer section would they keep loosing health as they are presumably melting? As I could totally get behind leaving it on cold tiles to survive but that in turn limits it's mobility and potential.

Also as it is mindless does it count as a beast for the purpose of buffing the Beastmaster and what about the Behemoth, does he buff the Beastmaster?

The design looks great, I love angular solid looking designs so I like this along with the Eternal a lot (but the Eternal looks like it needs a solid pair of legs to be honest)

Cannot wait for the in game update and the livestream, keep up the good work!

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
O
Quick question say we have cold tiles or some designated area like a freezer section would they keep loosing health as they are presumably melting? As I could totally get behind leaving it on cold tiles to survive but that in turn limits it's mobility and potential.
Interesting concept but we don't have any plans for this at the time. The most immediate thing that comes to mind is simply stockpiling Frostweavers on these cold tiles and unleashing them upon an unsuspecting opponent.

Also as it is mindless does it count as a beast for the purpose of buffing the Beastmaster and what about the Behemoth, does he buff the Beastmaster?
Nope, as with a select few other units, the frostweaver is neither a Beast nor an Intelligent unit.

Psycix

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I think these types of creatures can be classified as elementals, or perhaps "summoned units".
Although I feel his appearance is a bit bland, I like the concept.

Nov 13, 2013
My entire thought process on this update.

"Frost Weaver? Hmmm..."

"Oh yeah! Lets check it out!"

*Click*

I'm just gonna go lie down now.
I agree that A frost/ice elemental spider would have been very cool, but I believe there are two big reasons why they didn't give the frost weaver a spider design:

1. The skarg already has a spider design so an ice spider might be stepping too close on the skarg's atheistic toes so to speak.

2. A spider atheistic might conflict with the frost weavers unit identity. By this I mean that spiders design are generally associated with (imo) speed and offensive power. Since the frost weaver is a sloth unit, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't really have much speed, and he definitely lacks offensive power(none of his abilitys besides basic attack deal damage), so giving him a design associated with those traits would be conflicting and send confusing messages about his unit identity.

Top Bottom