• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #68: Patch Testing (Again)!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
April 24th:
Just pushed v0.4.0 Preview 3 to Steam:
  • Fixed Veins of Evil not allowing certain aspects to be unlocked on certain levels (most notably Stumpy's Survival Challenge)
  • Fixed unit panel pickups only working if you clicked on the actual number
  • Removed some unnecessary assets from the UI
Preview 4 will be coming later today with fixes to some of the levels.
v0.4.0 Preview 4 pushed. Fixes:
  • Rhaskos' Domain is now playable - please give us your feedback!
  • Performance improvements to the UI - should hopefully help with the unresponsiveness issues (please note we are still working on this issue, the other fixes will just take a bit more time)
  • Blood Money statues created near props and walls can now be mined
  • Hovering your cursor over enemy units will no longer slow them down
  • Multiple instances of rituals/potions will no longer show up in the rituals/potions window
  • Defence blueprints no longer have collision
  • Workers will no longer get stuck inside the dungeon core
  • Bafus can no longer fly into/over dungeon cores
  • Fixed links on game exit screen
  • Fixed strange looking Foundry lava on the new maps
April 25th:
v0.4.0 Preview 5 pushed.
  • Fixed the UI locking up and becoming unresponsive (yay!)
  • The Veins of Evil should now appear much faster than before
  • Gate animation in the Veins of Evil animation reduced to 1.5s from 4s
  • Ghouls will no longer appear in the unit panel
  • If you pick up all of a unit type it will no longer disappear from the unit panel
  • The Arena will no longer cause the unit panel to report an incorrect (and wildly exaggerated) number of Beasts
  • Unit spawning has been adjusted to be slightly faster (it was slowed down *a lot* for the first 0.4.0 build)
  • Cultists and Beasts will spawn faster initially and then slow down more dramatically than they did before
April 26th:
v0.4.0 Preview 6 pushed.
  • Game should no longer freeze on startup (yay!)
  • Magical Meat has been added (as always, visuals are placeholder)
  • Work-A-Lot potion now has vfx
  • Shockwave now has vfx
  • Some potions are now potions instead of transparent cubes
  • You can now drop pigs directly onto units to force feed them
  • The Grand Chasm, Fight Pit and Ravenscroft have been updated to be slightly more 'open' now that we have Underminers and Replacement Walls in the game (please note that NAT is still broken, so MP doesn't work without port forwarding)
  • Fixed ambient lighting on tutorial
  • Hollow is now using a new mechanic for the infinite gold and mana - please let us know if you encounter any issues with this
  • Prop previews are now transparent
  • The 'Cross Door' has been added but is only accessible with debug commands - this is essentially a door that can be placed on any tile (again, art is placehodler)
  • Gateways no longer float midair
  • Edward Cullen has been added
However, multiplayer is extra broken in this build. We'll work on resolving that next week.

Edit: Potions are broken and units are getting stuck in the Slaughterpen. We're fixing the latter right now.
v0.4.0 Preview 7 pushed.
  • Fixed units becoming braindead in the Slaughterpen
April 27th:
v0.4.0 Preview 8 pushed.
  • Most Underlord units now have their own portrait in the unit panel
  • Potions can be brewed once again
  • You can now drop units down Gateways to remove them from your Dungeon
  • Summon Defence Part now works (vfx is missing)
  • Heal now works (vfx is missing)
  • Chill and Cauterize have had their duration decreased to 10 seconds
  • Obey is now more potent
  • Work-A-Lot is now more potent
  • Added some Natural Bridge to Mudbox
  • Levels with infinite gold now prevent gold piles from spawning and littering the map
  • Natural Bridge can now be claimed (and can no longer be tagged)
  • Ember Rift placeholder mesh no longer has blue mist attached
  • Vault floor is no longer overly bright
  • Fixed transparency on Ghouls and Natural Bridge
April 28th:
v0.4.0 Preview 9 pushed.
  • Currently selected aspect & placement/cast cost is now displayed on the cursor
  • Fixed Founders Core and Gateways floating in the air
  • Fixed Garrison tiles not being sellable
  • Multiplayer has been disabled
  • Wooden Door health has been reduced
  • Increased vibrancy of team colour on Standard & Rhaskos tile tops (brightness is unchanged)
  • Hero and Rhaskos floor tiles now correctly display team colours again
  • Workers will now claim tiles slightly faster
  • Lord O'Theland should now be fully playable, specific changes from previous build:
    • Lord O'Theland damage and health reduced
    • Slightly adjusted timing of some Richard dialogue
    • Doors and Gateway removed from Lord O'Theland's dungeon
    • Added a map ping to the blocks that need digging to trigger O'Theland attack
    • Fixed Lord O'Theland sulking in his Vault and not venturing out to attack
  • Rhaskos should also work, it's just a bit rough around the edges, further fixes coming tomorrow
April 29th:
v0.4.0 Preview 10 pushed.
  • Main panel now highlights the currently selected aspect
  • Shockwave now actually uses mana
  • The placeholder Beastmaster model is now blue (to distinguish it from the Chunder)
  • Through the study of underground wildlife documentaries we have improved micropiglet behaviour to be far more natural
  • Minimap camera frustum is now less pixelated
  • Minimap is now centered in the minimap window for non-square maps
  • Aspects that you cannot yet access in the Veins of Evil are now easier to see
  • Fixed broken border on the Veins of Evil
  • Fixed freeze at the end of tutorial
  • Fixed MightyQuest trigger zones blocking cursor actions (this was most prevalent in Rhaskos' Domain)
  • Fixed the very old issue of clicks going through the UI when playing in fullscreen at a non-native resolution
  • Obey now has VFX
  • New potion bottles added for Transmutation and Work-A-Lot
  • Sanctuary altar is now red
  • Chill and Cauterize VFX now persist for 10 seconds (to match their new mechanics)
  • Fixed aspect icon next to cursor
April 30th:
v0.4.0 Preview 11 pushed.
  • Defence parts slower to produce
  • Spirit Chamber podiums mana lock reduced to 200 mana (from 400)
  • Beast Den supports fewer Beasts
  • UI changes:
    • Minimap is slightly smaller
    • Tooltip bar now has a background
    • Tooltip bar now lines up with the minimap
    • Moved tooltip bar text up slightly to prevent it going outside the bar in some cases
  • Research changes:
    • Base sin research requirement halfed
    • Passive sin research rate halfed
    • Sin research time increases far slower
    • Result: Units researching now more impactful, remains impactful for longer
  • Gargoyle balance changes:
    • Now costs 2500 gold and 6 defence parts (up from 600 gold and 3 defence parts)
    • Damage per second increased to 100 (up from 20)
    • Range reduced to 5 tiles (from 6 tiles)
    • No longer locks up mana whilst not firing
    • Now locks 100 mana whilst firing (up from 20)
    • Rotation time reduced to 0.5 seconds (from 1.5 seconds)
    • Please note that the the firing VFX is still missing, so you'll need to use your imagination!
v0.4.0 Preview 12 pushed.
  • Known Issue: Magical Meat is causing severe FPS issues, please do not use it
  • Cultist/Sanctuary behaviour changes:
    • Removed food and sleep fulfillment for Cultists from Sanctuary
    • Cultists will no longer idle in the Sanctuary all day
    • Cultists will only go to the Sanctuary when there's work to do
    • Fewer Cultists will spawn
    • Mechanic was no longer relevant with the new Veins of Evil layout (Sanctuary is no longer an early room)
  • Rhaskos' Domain changes:
    • Basic rooms are automatically unlocked at the start of the level
    • Underminer is automatically unlocked when you are prompted to build one
  • VFX:
    • Gargoyle now has VFX (minor issue: It appears to be firing constantly even though it's only actually firing when there are enemies to shoot)
    • Work-A-Lot now has persistent buff VFX on affected units
    • Obey now has persistent buff VFX on affected units
    • Heal now has VFX
    • Transmutation now has VFX (minor issue: It's spawning too low at the moment)
  • UI:
    • Core health ring is no longer ugly
    • Fixed click-to-zoom on minimap being broken on non-square maps
    • Fixed many unlocks in the Veins of Evil breaking the center vein (more than one row can now become available at once)
    • Fixed units sometimes not appearing in the unit tab if all of their type died and then a new one entered
    • UI will no longer switch to the unit tab when a new unit type enters your dungeon
    • Camera frustum outline is now slightly thicker
    • Updated loading screen
  • Toned down some of the research changes from Preview 11, should now be a tad slower
  • Actually fixed O'Theland not coming out to attack on the Tutorial (need some help testing this is working!)
  • Earth is no longer dark and shiny
  • Completed (ready) potions now float in the air above the Cauldron
  • Potions are no longer massive when held in the hand
  • Fixed picked up units sometimes being invisible until dropped
  • Fixed corpses slowing down unit spawning
  • Fixed Shockwave not costing any mana
v0.4.0 Preview 13 pushing in 10~ mins.
  • Core compass at the top right now more accurately points at the core (the direction is being calculated from the compass location now instead of the center of the screen)
  • Fixed defence parts pickup hitbox being too big
  • Rhaskos updates:
    • Removed visible gold to the south of the starting dungeon
    • More aspects unlocked right away
    • Fixed automatic Underminer unlock
    • Made the gold to the east more visible and easier to get to
    • Perception shrine sequence at the start is easier to trigger (it will eventually trigger by just digging one tile east towards gold)
    • Removed a lot of impenetrable rock inside the player dungeon & Rhaskos' dungeon
    • Player now starts with just 3k gold
  • Re-ordered and renamed levels on the main menu
  • Updated the look of certain UI assets
  • Corrected some incorrect icons in the unit filters
  • Slowed down research a tad more
  • Fixed UI persisting in possession mode
  • Actually fixed click-to-zoom on minimap on non-square maps
  • Fixed Veins of Evil not opening unless you clicked the actual number in the Sin orb (you can now click anywhere on the orb)
  • Fixed Magical Meat tanking FPS
This should be the second to last preview push. Next push will contain the remaining VFX & a few audio bits.

Last edited:

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
cannot wait for such a big update.
About the magical meat, why would we use it instead of waiting for units to go to the rooms, are there additional benefits to magical meat?
Is Magical meat the final name also? Sounds a bit like a placeholder to me.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
cannot wait for such a big update.
About the magical meat, why would we use it instead of waiting for units to go to the rooms, are there additional benefits to magical meat?
Is Magical meat the final name also? Sounds a bit like a placeholder to me.
its for attacking creatures so that you wont have to send them back to your dungeon to get them fed. This is for letting them stay in the fray all day long ;)

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
its for attacking creatures so that you wont have to send them back to your dungeon to get them fed. This is for letting them stay in the fray all day long ;)
okay I see, so the feeding mechanic is more than just minions wandering off, will my minions starve if unable to get food in time and say lose health or go berserk and try to leave my dungeon?

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
okay I see, so the feeding mechanic is more than just minions wandering off, will my minions starve if unable to get food in time and say lose health or go berserk and try to leave my dungeon?

thats something i dont know exactly. also probably something that priority related regarding rally.

as of now i think its planned that creatures priotirise the rally flag over the needs. so that they wont wwander off.

which means that needs arent fullfilled which, im pretty sure about, influences creature mood in a bad way.

IF they take damage is another matter im not sure about that.

Disclaimer: all things i say may or may not as described in the final product and are to a certain possiblity absolutely false :p

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
IF they take damage is another matter im not sure about that.

Disclaimer: all things i say may or may not as described in the final product and are to a certain possiblity absolutely false :p
I can tell you that at this moment in time units do not take damage if their hunger satisfaction reaches 0, Though they do become very unhappy. It's definitely possible that in the future we will be adding starving damage to units that reach this criteria :).

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Potion of bugs.

You cannot interact with anything, UI, monsters, nothing.

I dont like this potion :(
That sounds very strange, none of our QA Team has yet run into an issue like this. Please can you log a bug report with as much info as possible. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2013
I'm having a problem. After unlocking a few items on the veins of evil, the game's UI slows down to a crawl. it takes a long time for something to unlock after being clicked. same goes with clicking between tabs.
EDIT: I realize this happens when the imps are working on something more than when they are not doing anything. Are my graphics settings too high?

that being said the UI looks stunningly beautiful. Great job with the graphics

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2013
It seems if you select a creature from Creature Panel you start experiencing problems with the rest of the panel, often getting stuck in spells panel without being unable to switch to anything else for long time. One thing I also noticed is Heroes are barely visible ( if visible ) on mini-map, so if there are sneaking, you probably won't detect them unless you see them directly on the screen.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I can tell you that at this moment in time units do not take damage if their hunger satisfaction reaches 0, Though they do become very unhappy. It's definitely possible that in the future we will be adding starving damage to units that reach this criteria :).
It might make sense for starving units to work/walk/fight slower too (before they start losing health), because they lack energy, (also any way to add a bit more simulation to the game is good in my books)

Reyh!

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 9, 2012
Norway
In DK 2 i always had problems with feeding after a long siege, filling up all my hatcheries, i especially had problems with the Bile Demon eating up all the chickens, starving the others...ugh.. Therefore, i welcome "Magical Meat" with open arms!

Though, the name is abit dull to me, how about, "transportable piglets", "transportable pigsters", "blazed piglets" (if they are dead and ready to eat), "pigsters", or just as simple as, "spawn piglets".

toffeejay

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Dec 25, 2011
Would Replacement Wall not be better served as being built in the Foundary rather than as a spell?

Give your Chunders something more to do, but also for balancing. I think it should be something that requires construction time than a simple instant spell.

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Would Replacement Wall not be better served as being built in the Foundary rather than as a spell?

Give your Chunders something more to do, but also for balancing. I think it should be something that requires construction time than a simple instant spell.
Defence: Replacement Wall
Are you obsessive compulsive? Did the enemy just carve a hole through your perfectly placed rooms and ruin the feng shui of your dungeon? Fortunately for you the industrious little creatures that trudge around your Foundry have, after many long years of study, figured out how to build a replacement wall for those bits of earth that are accidentally or antagonistically excavated.

Place this blueprint anywhere that needs some bricking up and marvel as a perfect, fortified rectangle is born anew!

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Just pushed v0.4.0 Preview 3 to Steam:
  • Fixed Veins of Evil not allowing certain aspects to be unlocked on certain levels (most notably Stumpy's Survival Challenge)
  • Fixed unit panel pickups only working if you clicked on the actual number
  • Removed some unnecessary assets from the UI
Preview 4 will be coming later today with fixes to some of the levels.

theMarg0r

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
In DK 2 i always had problems with feeding after a long siege, filling up all my hatcheries, i especially had problems with the Bile Demon eating up all the chickens, starving the others...ugh.. Therefore, i welcome "Magical Meat" with open arms!

Though, the name is abit dull to me, how about, "transportable piglets", "transportable pigsters", "blazed piglets" (if they are dead and ready to eat), "pigsters", or just as simple as, "spawn piglets".
Actually, I think it would be funny if it was called "Mystery meat" instead. It's pre-cooked meat! Where does it come from? It's a mystery first, and magic second. :3

Mar 11, 2014
Oh my God. Replacement wall. Replacement WALL. Speaking as someone who's favorite mode is usually freeform/sandbox building (and refining/perfecting layouts more generally), that is the best thing.

I think this might be the point where WftO is finally threatening to overtake the classics, since it wouldn't surprise me if the lack of such a thing in DK was an engine limitation.

Top Bottom