• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #70: We Can Rebuild Him

Jan 3, 2013
Good to hear some bugs were fixed. Gotta try again, hope this time everything works well.

Edit : Ok I think I know why Rally Flag bug happens in Rhakos's Domain.

It seems player is supposed to attack one of the outposts of Rhakos using underminer. However, if player decides to dig and claim the portal above and progress further something goes wrong after few uses of Rally Flag. Additionally, I'd like to remind that imps still are suicidal against traps and Impassable Flag doesn't seem to have any effect on them at all ( they just ignore it ).

You guys should play-test this level few more times, these things still make level unplayable. I'll try Stumpy's Challenge map this time.

Edit 2 : Level crashed. Crash log generated.

Last edited:

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Edit : Ok I think I know why Rally Flag bug happens in Rhakos's Domain.

It seems player is supposed to attack one of the outposts of Rhakos using underminer. However, if player decides to dig and claim the portal above and progress further something goes wrong after few uses of Rally Flag.
Which bug is this one, please can you link to the bug reports :)

Additionally, I'd like to remind that imps still are suicidal against traps and Impassable Flag doesn't seem to have any effect on them at all ( they just ignore it ).
Currently the Impasse flag only creates an area in which tasks are not created for workers, it does not render the path impassable.

0.3.1 Patch Notes said:
New Spell: Impasse
Increase the life expectancy of your workers by placing this magical barrier along the border of your domain
  • Vein: None (available at the start)
  • Cost: None
  • Summons an Impasse flag which prevents your workers from claiming any tile within its radius (3*3)
  • You can summon as many Impasse flags as you wish, but you may not summon one within the radius of another Impasse flag
  • Right click on an Impasse flag to dismiss it; right clicking on the Impasse icon will dismiss all Impasse flags
  • Thanks to Ben Chandler for the name suggestion!

In the future we intend to implement more control over the exact function, allowing you to toggle between modes. Either preventing movement through by workers or preventing them from responding to tasks beyond that area.

Though obviously workers are not meant to suicidally attack defences, this is something we are aware of and plan to fix in our next combat update.

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
is that arm a metal root coming out of the augre?
It would be better if the metal stretched the whole arm instead of the lower half

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
I like the redesign, the old Augre looked a bit bland and a bit to clean for a super late game heavy tank whose only job is to utterly wreck stuff.
He looks a bit grimier and has some wicked metal attachments all across his body to show he just loves him some metal piercings.

The hammer at first looks weird but then I realized he did not just put his hand into a glove to wield a weapon which is sort of what looked to me what happened with the old design but he rammed a crude club through his arm because that is how he rolls apparently.

I have to admit I do miss the Augre idea of them running to the foundry after a couple of level ups and hammer up some more vicious looking club arms and maybe add a few spiky bits to there bodies. But I guess it just ain't necessary in the game.

Nov 13, 2013
I'm glad to see so many bugs fixed so quickly, the 4.1 update is really nice :)

Regarding the Augre redesign, The body and overall look is very good and gives him some much needed flair/detail to show his status as a high ranking unit in the sloth tree. At first I wasn't sure what the practical use of the metal strips was since they don't provide much protection, until I realized that they were just the top of metal pieces that had been driven deep into the augre's flesh to reinforce his bones and joints. At which point I loved the idea :D.

Though there is one part of that I think still needs a redesign, which would be the hammer arm. I think it's issue is that the hammer arms shape has a thematic clash with the rest of the augre. It's smooth, curved appearance reminds me a great deal of "natural" things like roots and trees, which thematically clashes heavily with the augres "artificial" theme of a mechanically minded ogre. The hammer arm looks like it would fit perfectly on a tree-man or Ent-like creature if it was just made of wood instead of metal.

There is one aspect of the hammer I like though, and that is how the augre appears to have chopped off his hand and jammed the hammer into his arm stump, for much the same reason I like the idea of the augre reinforcing his bones with metal. It shows that the augre is so devoted to his belief in the power of metal/machines that he willingly mutilates himself in order to turn himself into a medieval cyborg. It is just such a powerful and cool idea :D.

On how to fix/redesign the hammer arm, I would say that it would be best to reduce how "natural" it looks by making it less curved and smooth. This could be accomplished by reducing how large the bump is in the middle of the hammers length and "roughing up" the hammer bit by adding bumps/depressions to its surface and making the grooves and curves on it less defined and more uneven.

Overall I think the augre redesign is great except for the hammer. I hope this review helps you guys :D

Reyh!

Crackpot
WFTO Backer
Dec 9, 2012
Norway
Hmm.... Nope..i did not like that arm. Maybe make it more metallic, rather than woody?

Though i did like the preview patch idea. ;)

Last edited:

Skorp

Gargoyle
Feb 1, 2014
I also don't like the arm, it looks like a random tire of iron and not a metalic upgrade for the best foundry unit.

Feb 9, 2014
The game feels more stable and faster now or is it just me? Will there also be some information at the tooltip when you hover over a unit at the unit control panel? Like what they do in what specific rooms.... :) Because now there stays "None" when you hover with your HoE over the units at the unit control panel of the UI, what is a bit ugly of course ;)

I also see the multiplayer option is back now. Is it playable now? I can't play a MP-game, because it keeps for ever populating the list (at the internet option,) but it actually never shows the list. Is this a known problem at the moment? It even did not work after I disabled my anti-virus software.

Last edited:

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
The Augre is looking gooood, the rework he really needed!

*Looks at hammer-arm*
Eh, not really my preference of such arm.
Just needs to look more... *Looks up at the above posts* What they said.

Now here's the Augre's partner in crime!

Feb 9, 2014
The Augre is looking gooood, the rework he really needed!

*Looks at hammer-arm*
Eh, not really my preference of such arm.
Just needs to look more... *Looks up at the above posts* What they said.

Now here's the Augre's partner in crime!
Gratulations! Message number 60.000! :)

Psycix

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Hmm yeah I have to agree the arm used to look better when it was more mechanical.
I do like the surgical look rather than " metal gloves", but I think it could look better if it was more artifical. Right now it is more natural, being wood/rock in an organic shape. The chunder already features something like this, and the augre is getting more overlap with the chunder than it already had.

I'd think that it would look better if it was more mechanical. A metal arm (and other metal implantes) would differentiate him from the chunder and give him this look that is both industrial and war-machine like.
So what if armor upgrades are scrapped? If augres have a metal arm and other metal implants, then that may just be part of their lore, just like crackpots modified themselves with alchemy, augres did so using blacksmithing.

Psycix

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
I probably have said this before, but I'll say it again: I have never seen such a good connection between developers and community.
It is amazing how closely you guys listen for feedback, and act on it instantly; while keeping everyone informed.
The involvement from the community in the project is amazing.
This game has soul, and that's something I havent seen since the good old days when people made games beceause they loved it rather than just commercial intententions.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say: We love you guys!

Davetron

Priestess
Sep 17, 2013
Scotland
I probably have said this before, but I'll say it again: I have never seen such a good connection between developers and community.
It is amazing how closely you guys listen for feedback, and act on it instantly; while keeping everyone informed.
The involvement from the community in the project is amazing.
This game has soul, and that's something I havent seen since the good old days when people made games beceause they loved it rather than just commercial intententions.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say: We love you guys!
This is the reason that I get so unreasonably annoyed with the couple of detractors that have popped up on Steam. This is probably the most open and honest dev team I've ever experienced, and still there are a few people who just can't resist being jerks to them

Top Bottom