• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #74: Pretty Things

Nov 10, 2013
Germany
Nice new Designs, the Sanctuary reminds me of Diablo 1 ö.ö

Btw. tell your organic modeler that he’s done sculpting hammer arms, because there are more differend types of arms that needed to be created. ;)

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
*thumbs up*

The gold vortex looks great and the new sanctuary tiles look very neat, now onto the main topic *rubs hands together*

I approve of this Augre, is it hunched on purpose or is it crouching a bit? I hope it is only crouching as I kind of want the Augre to be standing upright tall and proud while smacking the ba-jesus out of everything invading my dungeon.

As for hammer arms not being designed anymore... question for you devs... Would you consider a spell or elixir that boosted melee by giving your minions hardened claws/ fists/ swords perhaps giving them a stony look?

Because everyone loves a running gag and though we really, really like the new hammer arm I feel the concept artist having hit the sweet spot should be forced to do more! BWAhahahaha :D

Oct 17, 2013

I would like the Sanctuary to look like this concept art. The grey color tiled floor is very plain looking and doesnt inspire a whole lot of fear. This concept that you guys have done, however, is frightening. Just imagine walking into a room like this. That's my two cents however.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
I would like the Sanctuary to look like this concept art. The grey color tiled floor is very plain looking and doesnt inspire a whole lot of fear. This concept that you guys have done, however, is frightening. Just imagine walking into a room like this. That's my two cents however.

i agree with you. have to say though that the first ingame itteration was basically what you see in the concept art.
im not sure what the issue was/is (we dint have too much contact with the art team) but i guess that there are some issues with this iteration.

i think we can all agree that the first one (the ingame model) didnt look so great

Marados

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2013
Germany
I agree with rhasta and Lord of Riva.;)
The shown Sanctuary is too grey and not bloody enough. I really like the preview rhasta posted!:D

Greetings,
Marados

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
Hey.

Why yes, I take my hygiene very seriously, Underlords. I like the cleanup that was done, a tad simple but nothing is ever wrong with being simple... But, perhaps a few more variations in the tiling, like blood-soaked tiles that form patterns?
I also have to say, you've done quite splendidly well with my shield friend's arm! He's quite reckless, having broken his other arm the other time, trying to high-hammer his friends. Not a bright one, he is.

The gold vortex seems quite nice as well, allow it to have the time in the limelight.

Now, if you pardon me, I must do my job.
I'll be waiting right behind you all, Underlords.

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Great job on the Augre model! Looks much more sinister than the original model that was in the beta. I like the hunching, it makes him seem larger and fiercer, it also makes that hammer arm look extremely heavy.

I agree with Rhasta in regards to the sanctuary, there's something a little cold and sterile about it. Looking at the concept art I think the new version would look great with that red glow coming from underneath the room props. Although I haven't seen it in the game, it may be fine as it is when you can experience it with sound, lighting and animation.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
While I can't really speak for the team, the previous version was closer to the concept; the issue is that it just didn't work properly in-game, I think. The blood ends up looking strange or watery and in such vast amounts the whole idea just didn't come across. The way units moved on the tiles spaced far apart because of the blood running through also just... felt odd.

All in all I agree that the concept looks cooler than the current in-game graphics, but I very much see why there is deviation from the concept - the previous rendition was closer and it definitely looked pretty dreadful.

Jan 3, 2013
You guys should really make at least one non-1v1 map please. Currently all 1v1 maps look like Face-off maps with little options to do other than storm the middle.

Regarding the recent changes, they look more or less fine, multiplayer mode seriously needs creature balancing though, it looks like game now is about getting as many Augres as possible and crushing your way to the enemy core.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Ah ok. Btw, I cannot dig or claim in the current patchtesting build. Basically unplayable :p
This may depend on the map you're playing. There's bugs popping up left and right as we're squashing them, but if you're eager to try, another map might work.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Hope you enjoyed the short preview guys! I've reverted patchtesting back to the live build. It'll be back next week with a lick of paint and some patch notes :)
You guys should really make at least one non-1v1 map please. Currently all 1v1 maps look like Face-off maps with little options to do other than storm the middle.
I agree. I'm going to set some time aside to make some more open maps before next Wednesday.
While I can't really speak for the team, the previous version was closer to the concept; the issue is that it just didn't work properly in-game, I think. The blood ends up looking strange or watery and in such vast amounts the whole idea just didn't come across. The way units moved on the tiles spaced far apart because of the blood running through also just... felt odd.

All in all I agree that the concept looks cooler than the current in-game graphics, but I very much see why there is deviation from the concept - the previous rendition was closer and it definitely looked pretty dreadful.
Pretty much this.

Oct 17, 2013
To be quite frank, I never knew the red stuff was blood. I always thought of the Sanctuary as a black obsidian room with eerie red glow coming from the runes and lines etched into the floor. Not an expert on modeling and lighting, but would a black tiled room with red lighting do the trick of making the room come close to the concept art? As in the floor itself is not painted red but a strange red glow is what gives the sanctuary its eerie red color. just a thought.

Badwolf699

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
I like the new augre he's on his 3rd regeneration now so he'll probably be called John (Pertwee)
I like the new sanctuary too looks so demonic

Top Bottom