• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

WFTO Wednesday #79: Sights & Sounds

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton
Huzzah!

That music really is epic, I could totally see it coming on when racing against the clock or the enemy Empire leader starts elading an attack, makes a great tense atmosphere.

That theme by the way looks incredible, that might just be my favorite core to date.

I am going to sound really ignorant here, but still ot sure what is the exact purpose of the Garrison, I think I missed out where it was explained. Is it effectively a guard room? Also what is the center piece in the Garrison supposed to be (looks cool but not sure what it is)

Empire prison looks how I would expect it to be, orderly and not brutal like the Underlord version

Jul 24, 2013
Lovely that our stuff has some differences to the empires. Invading the good guys in dungeon keeper 1 was like invading a keeper with some other units(most of the time they even had a dungeon heart)

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
I was hoping for a different style for the battle music :p and I wanted it a bit heavier. But i guess this will be okay.

Edit: I actually kind of like the battle music the more I listen to it. But if this is the first layer of the battle music will it go to a different battle music track in another layer?

Last edited:

Badwolf699

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
That music sounds like you're trapped inside a Brazillian Carnival, needs some orcastra to intensify the situation.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Awesome battle music. Seems like a suitable track to a smaller scale battle to me - can't wait to hear what other music you've got in the works.

The Sovereign theme looks pretty awesome. I like how the color of everything changes with the player color. Really nice.

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
If I may make a suggestion. I think it would be awesome if the Sovereign dungeon core would pulse light like the dungeon heart in DK1 would.

Glad to see there are plans for cross-fading music in-game :) I do hope there will be more musical layers than this in the future, though. Adding melodic elements could make the battles even more epic!

I have to say, I am absolutely amazed by all the work you guys have done so far. Keep up the good work!

Meshuggly

Lead Audio Designer
Jun 6, 2012
North Nottinghamshire, UK
Seems like a suitable track to a smaller scale battle to me
Enjou gets it.
For a game with no single protagonist dude you play as, or huge armies of minions, overly orchestral music just comes out as a bit limp and pretentious (imo). That WIP piece still isn't finished, I'm actually trying to sandwich some guitar in there, and I'll no doubt throw a few strings in.

Then again, the whole battle music thing is still in it's infancy, so it might all end up in the bin and replaced with only sounds I can make with my naked body...

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Enjou gets it.
For a game with no single protagonist dude you play as, or huge armies of minions, overly orchestral music just comes out as a bit limp and pretentious (imo). That WIP piece still isn't finished, I'm actually trying to sandwich some guitar in there, and I'll no doubt throw a few strings in.

Then again, the whole battle music thing is still in it's infancy, so it might all end up in the bin and replaced with only sounds I can make with my naked body...
Well, when I was saying "small" I was thinking in relative terms for WFTO/DK sized battles. The track in question sound good for anything greater than a tiny skirmish and a significant but still not large battle. I'm thinking it would get more intense once you got to the really large battles.

The battle music in DK2 is a good example of this.

The first four minutes are what you'd probably hear in a small battle, then it becomes a bit more intense for what would probably be a medium battle, and then at six minutes on it's what you'd get for a big, epic final battle.

Of course, there's also the music that plays when you summon Horny, which I'd also consider to be a large battle BGM.

Evi

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Nov 14, 2011
All we need now is loud bangings of metal drums, electric guitars, incoherent male screaming and the occasional somber guitar solo.
All at 500% volume.

I jest of course, but it would greatly delight me to watch my follow Cultists complain about the noise as they try to research.
Heheheh.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
No spoilers.
But if all goes according to plan your minds might be blown.

I'll let @Meshuggly say more if he wants to. ;)
Finally! My favorite things are now in motion... Music and sound.. Expect to see more of me! Left a message with the Soundcloud but cant say im sure I know what I was doing, regardless!
Ive been quietly like a ninja been watching all your updates (I never disappeared) im seeing an amazing amount of attention to horrific/gorey visual detail. Very nicely done. You have sights, you have sound effects but id love to really see the music really capture some more uncomfortable feeling.

Loving the battle music, captures a high level of epicness... But lots of games do this and I never really thought it was enough though :(..

Putting it bluntly there is little to no disturbing, insidious or demonic activity going on in this music (the Dungeon Keeper music oozed this amazingly uncomfortable feeling which you couldnt listen to in the dark with the lights off).
Even the place holder music in the current build of the music lacks total immersion (in my opinion anyway)...
The best way to scare people or make them believe that they are an evil overlord is to target their mind (the easiest way is through good music), introduce some unusual demonic voices, screeching and/or disturbing sounds into the music like the original Dungeon Keeper, Original FEAR, Half-Life soundtrack/s and a few movies I have recently watched have used and observe how much more captivating the experience will become.

Some music examples:
: Dungeon Keeper

: FEAR

: Half-Life (Might I add that Half-Life won around 700 awards for its soundtrack alone)

: Insidious Movie (some of the most interesting and disturbing music ive heard in a horror movie) Fast forward to about 1:15 and listen from there

Please think what ive said over Subterranean Games team..

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2012
I'm liking the tribalness.

I am curious to hear some of the standard background pieces, really actually looking forward to hearing what's put out. Hopefully it'll fit well with the game. Hopefully. ;)

Well, when I was saying "small" I was thinking in relative terms for WFTO/DK sized battles. The track in question sound good for anything greater than a tiny skirmish and a significant but still not large battle. I'm thinking it would get more intense once you got to the really large battles.

The battle music in DK2 is a good example of this.

The first four minutes are what you'd probably hear in a small battle, then it becomes a bit more intense for what would probably be a medium battle, and then at six minutes on it's what you'd get for a big, epic final battle.

Of course, there's also the music that plays when you summon Horny, which I'd also consider to be a large battle BGM.

Thank you, for reminding us that there is absolutely no variety in the DKII soundtrack and that its battle music is cliche and repetitive noise.

That's not Dungeon Keeper II's fault though, don't worry about it, its okay. Shhh...

RedStar

Priestess
Jan 7, 2012
First of all, awesome music!

I have two quick questions
Will it be possible to select a dungeon theme in singleplayer?
Will there be an AI for mp/skirmish-play? (pleeeease)

Top Bottom