1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WFTO Wednesday #82: The Arena

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Simburgur, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Simburgur

Simburgur Managing Director Dev Team

2. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

It's good to see missing content getting attention, though I still wonder why Oculus model isn't present in game so far.

3. Skorp

Skorp Bafu

I'm still a little confused about how this rooms works, do you drop only prisioners for the beasts to fight and gain experience? Can they instead fight among themselves? If so, why would you waste a prisioner in the arena? Can your other creatures fight in the arena against beasts or other creatures? When it says toggle to save the fallen minions does it mean that prisioners will also be spared?
    By the way, great work in the room, the arena looks splendid.

4. Slichizard

Slichizard Bard

AFAIK beasts fight among each other by default. I believe if you drop any other creature it will fight as well.

5. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

Ok, let me try and break it down for you so it's a little easier to understand...
    1. The Beastmaster is attracted by the Arena, his work role involves him fetching 2 beasts and making them fight in the arena to train them up. In this situation, when one of the beasts loses.. it will be KO'd and sent back to it's lair whilst the winner stays in the arena to keep fighting.
    2. Intelligent units can also be dropped in the arena by the player (but are not fetched by the Beastmaster), they train in exactly the same way, fighting other units in the arena, but can be executed (if the switch is set to kill rather than KO)
    3. If the switch is set to KO mode, intelligent units will be KO'd and sent back to their lairs when they lose a fight, if it is set to execute mode, the winning unit will be allowed to execute the loser.
    4. Executing a unit (whether that is one of your own intelligent units or a prisoner unit) gives a large chunk of exp to the units currently training in the arena.
    5. Prisoners work the same as your own intelligent units in terms of dying/being KO'd (Beasts cannot be captured to use as prisoners, they just die in combat.)
    Hope that clears it up for you :)

Noxlor, Tommonius and Skorp like this.
  6. rhasta

rhasta Warden

Great artwork for the Arena. Keep up the good work guys.
    ps- are there similar artworks for the archives and treasure room?

7. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

(Very) Old Archive concept art
    Don't think there's one for the treasury... could be wrong

rhasta likes this.
  8. Fireeye

Fireeye Shadow Backer

Nice to see the Arena fleshed out, though I had hoped to see the in-game modell for the Beastmaster as well (as both are very much inseparable).

Also, I do very much like the fan artwork. Finally some love for the Chunder <3

9. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Dryad Backer

Awesome, awesome stuff. So, I gather that you can essentially sacrifice units you don't want in the Arena to give your favourite minions an EXP boost, by having them fight?

Also, it'll be possible to feed Vampires a specific creature in the Arena by plopping them down in there with the switch set to "kill", right?

Because Vampires really should execute units in the arena with the feeding move. Just saying.

Zathrendar likes this.
  10. rhasta

rhasta Warden

Nutter likes this.
  11. Ben Chandler

Ben Chandler Impassibly Cool Backer

like the design, was pleased to see it has an almost 'tavern'-like lighting and concept- when designing dungeons, always felt these two rooms go well together.